Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 09:57 PM   #46
DBSS_Gohan
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to DBSS_Gohan Send a message via MSN to DBSS_Gohan Send a message via Yahoo to DBSS_Gohan
Ok broke, Ty, I now understand why there mostly useless... however... I have 2 more questions..... Just to keep the discussion up and further my knowledge... Cause Im curious! I cant help it! Ok...

Ok so the engine pushes the air back, that explains a lot, so What if you had some sort of vent valve to take out the excess air? Or redirect it? Is there no way to get a electric motor to spin as fast as somthing mechanical? I mean, yeah, I cant honestly think of anything electronic that spins as fast as somthing mechanical... But..... Hmmm.... Anyway, so is there anyway to redirect the push back air?
DBSS_Gohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:07 PM   #47
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

No because that air being pushed back is the air you're trying to pressurize. If you start letting that out, it would be like opening a wastegate while you're still trying to spool a turbo.

Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.
Broke_as_**** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:17 PM   #48
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

It takes power to make air pressure. Doesn't matter if it's super or turbo, it takes power. Their's only one electric supercharger I know of that even works but you have to have a battery so big it almosts defeats the the installation. IT TAKES POWER TO COMPRESS AIR. To see it go here:

http://www.boosthead.com/home.php
Zgringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 03:45 PM   #49
DBSS_Gohan
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to DBSS_Gohan Send a message via MSN to DBSS_Gohan Send a message via Yahoo to DBSS_Gohan
Electronic nos! I love the idea! lol. But after discussing this... I think, Im gonna try to run a strong N/A engine for a while, then, maybe Ill go one small turbo setup to push low boost, But Im probably gonna keep an N/A engine for a long time.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:53 PM   #50
1viadrft
AF Fanatic

Re: Twin Turbo Swap... READ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBSS_Gohan
But after discussing this... I think, Im gonna try to run a strong N/A engine for a while... But Im probably gonna keep an N/A engine for a long time.
Let us talk my young padawan learner...

My 1994 TT Supra For Sale: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=623105
1viadrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 06:16 PM   #51
DBSS_Gohan
AF Enthusiast

What do you mean padawan learner? You think I should be pushing boost so soon? Iv had one turbo car, and It exploded 8 miles from where I bought it, Im in no hurry to blow a car I like so much up.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:15 AM   #52
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
can anybody say RB20det swap??? 200ZR has a ring to it. sorry off topic. my bad.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 10:47 PM   #53
igota20hpweedeater
AF Enthusiast

i know u guys have answered this and said that labor for the tt swap is a lot, but why is that? If one bought a 300zx tt front clip wouldnt the install be a straight forward job? I know that it is time consuming but does it merit charging 6k in labor cost? why is it that other swaps are so much less than our swaps?
igota20hpweedeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 03:47 PM   #54
1viadrft
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBSS_Gohan
What do you mean padawan learner? You think I should be pushing boost so soon? Iv had one turbo car, and It exploded 8 miles from where I bought it, Im in no hurry to blow a car I like so much up.
I was refferring to your plans of building up your NA... BOOST envy is for BOZOS!

My 1994 TT Supra For Sale: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=623105
Old 09-29-2004, 07:14 PM   #55
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Twin Turbo Swap... READ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1viadrft
I was refferring to your plans of building up your NA... BOOST envy is for BOZOS!
/\ Boost envy denial

Old 09-29-2004, 07:44 PM   #56
1viadrft
AF Fanatic

shaddup!

Old 09-29-2004, 08:34 PM   #57
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

i admit it, i am boost envy.

-Jared

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 09:52 PM   #58
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ

me too me too... i just want to be able to say... but then the twin, turbo's, kick, in
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 02:37 AM   #59
nateomonk
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to nateomonk Send a message via Yahoo to nateomonk

ok so basically what i need to do the swap myself.... is the TT front clip.... As well as a tranny exhaust and rear end?..... or is the tranny included in the Clip....

So im looking at.... 3,000 ---for the clip
1,000 ---maybe more for the rear end
500 -----Exhaust
so 4,500 plus other things ....
and i paid 2,000 For my N/a 92 ......
so 6,500 for a TT 300z isnt sounding too bad right now .... .
if theres anything else i need plz let me know
nateomonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 03:09 AM   #60
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Twin Turbo Swap... READ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateomonk
ok so basically what i need to do the swap myself.... is the TT front clip.... As well as a tranny exhaust and rear end?..... or is the tranny included in the Clip....

So im looking at.... 3,000 ---for the clip
1,000 ---maybe more for the rear end
500 -----Exhaust
so 4,500 plus other things ....
and i paid 2,000 For my N/a 92 ......
so 6,500 for a TT 300z isnt sounding too bad right now .... .
if theres anything else i need plz let me know
The TT front clip will get you there. Some clips come with transmissions, others don't. However, I've never heard the NAs 5spd was watered down strength wise so you should be good to go on that. If your really worried and you clip doesn't come with a transmission you can probably pick one up for a couple hundred dollars.

You don't really need a TT rear end, the only real difference is the gearing (TT is taller). And you can find used TT rear ends for $250 or less if you really want one. Check wholesale wharehouses and wrecking yards.

Exhaust only really comes into play if you have a 2+2 NA because the chassis was 6 inches longer and there were no US 2+2 turbos thus no pipes for them. Even then its just a matter of sourcing the correct pipes for the job and really while your swapping the TT motor you can just get some aftermarket down pipes and test pipes (you can get them with high flow cats welded in) and have a much better exhaust system that fits perfect. You can pretty much find whatever you need pre-made ready to order. And even if you can't find the exact combination you need, a good shop can make up a few feet of pipe for cheap. Really, its just a pipe with a few bends in it with some flanges on each end. If you have a 2 seater NA and don't want to drop money on downpipes and such right now then it would just be a matter of finding a stock TT forward exhaust piece and a wrecking yard should be able to get that for fairly cheap.

What do you have available too you and how comfortable are you at taking expensive complicated things apart? This is not a weekend job by any means so you'll need a garage or somewhere you can keep alot of parts lying around not to mention the car and the clip. If you have some engine experience you can do this yourself provided you grab a Factory Service Manual and read up alot on what you're trying to do. Take it slow, do it right and be very happy with the results.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)