Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 02:34 PM   #1
Rob31803
AF Newbie

2001 Battery Drain

Can anyone tell me how to diagnose a battery drain on a 2001? If it sits up a couple of days, the battery runs down to the point of not starting. Any help would be appreciated.
Rob31803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:50 AM   #2
jrm14
AF Newbie

Re: 2001 Battery Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob31803
Can anyone tell me how to diagnose a battery drain on a 2001? If it sits up a couple of days, the battery runs down to the point of not starting. Any help would be appreciated.
Rob- I have the same problem. I see nobody answered, did you ever find the answer some other way. A friend of mine vaguely remembers something about an adaptor to buy that cures it which he is pursuing. If it's not solved for you now, I'll keep you posted. Hopefully you have the answer already. Thanks, Jack
jrm14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:40 AM   #3
mga
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2001 Battery Drain

disconnect the negative cable and use a 12 volt test light between that and the battery. it should glow.

while this is hooked up, begin pulling fuses ONE AT A TIME and REPLACE each after pulling them. the circuit that is draining the battery will shut the test light OFF. this gives you an idea which circuit is draining your battery and where to look for any shorts.

if the light does not go out after pulling fuses, next is to unplug things like the alternator, etc etc... i've done this on my '81 vette with excellent results.

using this method i have found many problems with people's cars, including a bad alternator on a ford truck.
mga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:41 AM   #4
jrm14
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 2001 Battery Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mga
disconnect the negative cable and use a 12 volt test light between that and the battery. it should glow.

while this is hooked up, begin pulling fuses ONE AT A TIME and REPLACE each after pulling them. the circuit that is draining the battery will shut the test light OFF. this gives you an idea which circuit is draining your battery and where to look for any shorts.

if the light does not go out after pulling fuses, next is to unplug things like the alternator, etc etc... i've done this on my '81 vette with excellent results.

using this method i have found many problems with people's cars, including a bad alternator on a ford truck.
Thank you very much, worth a try.
jrm14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:08 PM   #5
WEF
AF Regular

The battery will normally have a drain of about 50 milliamperes to run the electronics. Be sure your battery is OK, a weak cell could cause this. If it's the original battery, I'd replace it without bothering to test it.
WEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:44 AM   #6
Bernard Feltzer
AF Regular

Re: 2001 Battery Drain

Had the exact same problem.
Dealers thought it was a batch of bad starters.
It wasn't, it was the cable that goes to starter.
Starter is exposed to plenty of heat because it is right next to Cat converter, which has to be removed to change starter.
Cable harness was shorted.
GM covered all expenses and supplied another new battery, also the tow truck bill.
Had the extended warranty.
Bernard Feltzer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette