Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-22-2001, 11:25 PM   #1
IxIxDRAGONxIxI
AF Newbie

buying a 300zx

There is a 300ZX TT in my area for sale for $4200
black leather
manual
white exterior
100,000 mi
(90 or 91?)

Going over the car it is in need of new paint, brake lights (cracked lenses), the interior is decent

I want to drive the car in on mon or tues to have my mechanic check it out. What do I need to tell him to check special for a Z other than like compression?
IxIxDRAGONxIxI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 11:35 PM   #2
Chickenbum
AF Newbie

dood take it for a spin, you wont look back
Old 12-11-2001, 08:42 PM   #3
Jerboa
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Jerboa
jump on that shit man, if i were u i wouldnt even bother the paint, u can get that repainted, and any other fix ups its in need of far less than i can find it anywhere! take care, drive safe.
Jerboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 09:30 PM   #4
cruzinZ
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to cruzinZ
Things to watch out for

A sight to look at http://www.zhome.com/Buying/cawmmi.html
Just want you to find out what your getting into. To be completly honest that car sounds suspicious. I dont want you to end up buying a car that has problems. Espically if you think that you can fix it up for cheep! To give you some info about some prices... Short block for the Z is $7500 & and average price of $2500 to install it. Turbos are on average $2,000 up to $5,000 for a pair depending on what you get. & Im not even going into the little things that need replacing. fule injectors usually run $1200 and so on ...... The average price for a twin turbo 300ZX is around 12-17 grand depending on year and condition. What you are looking at sounds like a major problem. I dont want to dissapoint you but that car does not sound like the right one. Save up some more money and get something thats in better shape & condition. You wont regret it. The Z is defentally a totally different driving experience. Nothing comes close to it. It handles like it is on rails. & with the stage III on the car it will be one of the fastest cars in your town! 400 reliable HP for around $1500 is defentally worth it!!! Trust me on that. Keep your dream about owning a Z alive but be sure not to pick up someone elses junck!!! Good luck and I hope that you make the right decision. (run away from that car)

TT4ever
cruzinZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 12:48 AM   #5
VW_Redliner
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to VW_Redliner
hey this guy is an idiot. If you want the car buy it. 12-17 for a Z is not true. I'm a VW guy myself but I know that his estament is a little high. A new turbo is not gonna be 2000 for a car like that. Maybe a 1000. You probably wouldn't have to replace it soon anyways. Broken tail light is nothin. You will get hit with a lot of nickels and dimes. I know this from the experience I have with used cars. All used cars have some kind of probs. If you wanted a decked out Z it'll cost you less money to buy the one you're lookin at and fix it yourself. Besides you'll enjoy workin on the car. Just keep in mind when people talk shit about a car you want they're probably jsut wishin that they could have the car when you are DONE with it. My jetta is comin along pretty well and before I bought it I didn't even want it that bad. I learned how to drive a manual and it's tight. Or you could always go the VW route. JK. Do what you want man. I'm gonna dub for lfife though.
VW_Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 12:02 AM   #6
95vteclude

Quote:
Originally posted by VW_Redliner
hey this guy is an idiot. If you want the car buy it. 12-17 for a Z is not true. I'm a VW guy myself but I know that his estament is a little high. A new turbo is not gonna be 2000 for a car like that. Maybe a 1000. You probably wouldn't have to replace it soon anyways. Broken tail light is nothin. You will get hit with a lot of nickels and dimes. I know this from the experience I have with used cars. All used cars have some kind of probs. If you wanted a decked out Z it'll cost you less money to buy the one you're lookin at and fix it yourself. Besides you'll enjoy workin on the car. Just keep in mind when people talk shit about a car you want they're probably jsut wishin that they could have the car when you are DONE with it. My jetta is comin along pretty well and before I bought it I didn't even want it that bad. I learned how to drive a manual and it's tight. Or you could always go the VW route. JK. Do what you want man. I'm gonna dub for lfife though.
i'm sorry but i have to disagree and stand by cruzinz on this one.. a 90-96 twin turbo 300zx in decent shape 9 times out of 10 cost over 10,000. I was looking into buying a 300zxTT for almost a year and you can not find them that cheap that dont need SERIOUS repair.

and why would you say hes talking shit about the car when hes trying to look after the guy... thats just low class on your part bro.
Old 12-18-2001, 10:30 AM   #7
cruzinZ
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to cruzinZ
thanks 95vteclude

Well for starters what I have to say is just from experience and RESEARCH!!! The next time that you dog someone make sure you know the facts. Ya you can get a TT Z for 4 thousands dollars but before you buy take a look at it. It either doesnt run or is about to die. Either way these cars are realllllly expensive to maintain when they get past a certain point. You will save a lot of money if you spend more from the start and get a car that was taken care of. One more thing to watch out for is the rear main seal... this gets expensive because you have to drop the tranny and its very time consuming with all of the different items that you have to disconnect in order to get the tranny down. These cars are defentally your standard vehicles.... once you take a very close look at the car you will notice that this car is VERY technical. Just like everyone says this car was built before its time! Some of the technology that was used in the 1990 is finally comming out in recent years!! I'd say that this car was built 10 years before its time
Catch you all later ---> Daniel

TT4ever
cruzinZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 09:40 PM   #8
Judge
AF Enthusiast

ive never seen a 90-91 300zx for under 9k , but then again, i havent really looked for them much.
but thats in nz money, so i dont know about america......
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 09:56 PM   #9
MattyG
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie:

ive never seen a 90-91 300zx for under 9k , but then again, i havent really looked for them much.
Yeah they are considerably more expensive in the States....... comparable probably dollar for dollar, but not in real value since the USD is worth so much more.

To the guy who originally posted.....my gut feeling is you get what you pay for.....make sure your mechanic gives that engine a good going over.
Old 12-23-2001, 12:02 AM   #10
Jerboa
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Jerboa
if anyone is going to listen to anyone from this post, listen to Cruzin, i know this guy, and he knows his shit. so dont listen to VW, let him stick with his VW's and run a scan on that car, for any wrecks or past damage etc. flood, location of owner. take care thanx for ur time.
Jerboa is offline   Reply With Quote