Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
dan fitz
AF Newbie

Angry bad coil tested ok with ohmmeter

i posted this on the civic forum because it shares the same distributor parts, but my car is a 99 crv with 176K miles. misfire codes finally came up after a week of stutters, car died on the highway before i could check things out. coil tested ok with the basic resistance tests listed in my haynes manual which gives specs for primary and secondary resistances. so it must be the ignition control module, right? trip to the junkyard, put in a used ICM, same no spark condition. keep checking for voltage, repeat, wires on in the right order?, repeat, no dice. so the coil tested ok, does that mean it's the computer or the non-fixable position sensors in my TEC distributor? new coil at autozone was $50 so back to the junkyard, $10 for a used coil, put it in and problem solved, hooray. here's the deal- there was a web post or youtube video showing how to bypass the ICM and throw a spark through the coil to test it, but i didn't want to take a chance of damaging the computer (who knows nowadays) without knowing more about what that could lead to, so i went with the resistance test and figured the coil must be good. obviously it can pass that test and still be dead as a doornail.
dan fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dan fitz For This Useful Post:
jamesslcx (05-30-2013)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V