Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive News Desk
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 05:22 AM   #16
brianneves
AF Newbie

Re: Blown Head Gasket.....Female needs help

response to post#11

head gaskets are not made out of cork
brianneves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:00 AM   #17
monty120
AF Newbie

FIRST OF ALL, ITS NOT A METRO ITS A STORM, SO LEARN TO READ. sECOND I AGREE FELPRO IS THE BEST GASKET, HOWEVER MULTIPLE GASKETS WILL NOT CAUSE LEAKS, IT CREATES A GREATER PENETRATING SEAL TO PREVENT LEAKS, AND MINIMIZE FUTURE OCCURANCES OF LEAKS. THE EXTRA FEW MM'S A 2ND GASKET PROVIDEDS INSURES NO LEAKS AND WIL NOT SCREW UP TIMING, CAMPLAY, ETC. aND T OANWSER YOU QUESTION I HAVE CHANGED 40-50 HEAD GASKETS,MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE READ MY EARLIER POST WHICH WOULD TELL YOU I AM A PROFESSIONAL MECHANIC, AND I BET YOUR NOT.
monty120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:05 AM   #18
monty120
AF Newbie

Response To Post #16, First Of All 13 Says That Not 11, Maybe You Should Back To 1st Grade And Learn To Count, Then Yes Gaskets Are Made Of Cork Or Corklike Material Wit Hthe Same Chemical And Physcal Strucure And Properties Of Cork, These Gaskets Will Have The Same Response To Over Torque As Cork Does.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:17 PM   #19
brianneves
AF Newbie

hey, take a look at the time i posted these responses and realize that i had been up all night. so give me a break about the post number and the metro/storm thing. they are both geos >>> so calm down. calm down in general man. no need to be rude. so we disagree with eachother. big deal. realize that you may be a professional mechanic, but your profile says chef. what does mine say? mechanic. and its for the u.s. army. is that good enough? maybe politely you should reconsider your opinion because im not the only one that feels that more than one gasket on a head is a bad idea. three gaskets gives two extra mating surfaces that could posibly leak and tripples the chance of a failure due to a defective part. i would agree that the proper deck highth should be maintained unless professional adjustment are made, but all felpro gaskets ive seen will be more than 3 times as thick as stock if you use three of them. there is no way to tell whos idea is better without testing so lets "stop the war"
Old 06-10-2004, 07:39 PM   #20
brianneves
AF Newbie

anyone wanna back me up here >>> you dont use silicone on a head gasket (post #7)
Old 06-10-2004, 09:14 PM   #21
monty120
AF Newbie

all rigth if you wanna stop thewar then why r u dissin' me 4? you do use silicone AS a gasket, but it is okto use it on the outside and around the bolts, and I don't really think we diagree on my 3 gasket theory, your right Fel Pro gaskets are 3x as thick, which is why i said if you use the original gaskets(1/3 as thick) you want to use 3, makes sense to me, and yes my profile may say cook, but I have run a auto repair shop out of a building for 8 years now, and I know what i'm talking about.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:15 PM   #22
monty120
AF Newbie

pot #21 should read " you don't use silicone as a gasket" my bad
Old 06-10-2004, 09:36 PM   #23
Doug Rodrigues
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Doug Rodrigues
Hey Brianneves, that's an even better idea (from post #15). Thanks. Instead of using thick aluminum foil, I'll just go buy a roll of copper shim stock either .005 or .010 thickness. The old head gasket can be used as a template to cut-out the copper sheet. I have to do something with that spare Geo engine sitting in the middle of my garage anyway. Maybe toward the end of summer I'll break away from the kit plane that I'm building and rebuild the Geo engine instead. As small as it is, it almost looks like a toy engine. Anybody here ever work on a large boat engine? You can pull a side plate and step into the crankcase. That's why I said that the Geo engine almost looks like a toy.

Re: Cork head gaskets....I've never seen one.
Re: Silicone on head gaskets....on the rocker arm cover only.

This is my last post on this subject. I can see that this is turning into a pissing contest, and at my age I can't win!

Last edited by Doug Rodrigues; 06-13-2004 at 04:03 AM.
Doug Rodrigues is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive News Desk