Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 01:54 AM   #1
mr krebs
AF Newbie

Question tacoma LSD installation

ive been thinking about installing the TRD LSD on my 2wd 1998 tacoma but the kit says for installation you must have a 12 bolt 8inch ring gear or it will not bolt to the lsd unit. im wondering if anyone knows what ring gear is in my truck. i dont want to buy a new ring gear only to tear it apart to find out i didnt need to buy a new ring gear.

it is a 1998 toyota tacoma 2wd 5-speed manual with the 2.4L 2rz engine
the truck was the absolute base model so it should have the base standard axle and diff.

thanks.
mr krebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:05 PM   #2
TcmaBoy
AF - Advisor

Re: tacoma LSD installation

You cannot install the TRD e-locker in a non TRD rear end. The e-locker trucks have a different ring and pinion set. If you want the e-locker then you will have to change out the whole rear end. The cheaper and much simpler solution is to order an aftermarket unit such as a Lockrite or Detriot locker.My question is what are you doing that you need a locker in your mini taco?

Please wheel responsibly.
http://www.treadlightly.org/
TcmaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:56 PM   #3
mr krebs
AF Newbie

im not trying to put in a diff locker im just trying to take out the full slip; the unit that holds all the spider gears and that the axle shafts spline into. but the ring gear has to be a 12bolt 8inch for my oem ring gear to bolt to the new limited slip unit. my question is if im going to have to buy a ring gear that is compatible or if my truck already has the correct ring gear. i want to find out before i tear it apart.

and iput a 6inch lift in the front w/31'' tires and im looking for better traction on the street and offroad but moreso on the street or i would just install an actual diff locker.
mr krebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:48 AM   #4
TcmaBoy
AF - Advisor

You can't simply order the right ring gear. You have to order the correct LSD for your rear end. What I am not understanding is 1 why you are doing this to a mini taco, and 2 where you are finding a lift for it. You are aware that the 2wd mini and the 4wd are different chassis right?

Please wheel responsibly.
http://www.treadlightly.org/
TcmaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma