Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 11:47 AM   #1
bruinhockey23
AF Newbie

Car/audio problems

question... a guy was installing a cd player on my 99 saturn, and the radios power fuse blew out. so i went to get a new one, then came back, and he finished installing the cd player. when we finally put the cd player in, we turned the key, just so accesories would turn on, so the cd player would work. The CD player had no power running to it, and then the car wouldnt start at all. everything worked fine (lights, windows, locks etc.) but the car would not even make a sound to start. its not the battery because we tried jump starting it. ANY IDEAS???
bruinhockey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:04 PM   #2
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
you blew a fuse somewhere else too .... look under the hood, follow to where the wire from the + side of the battery goes
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:39 PM   #3
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ngsm13
Re: Car/audio problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD
you blew a fuse somewhere else too .... look under the hood, follow to where the wire from the + side of the battery goes
Ummm, If it doesn't even make a noise like it's trying to crank to start...it's gotte be something with the Ignition. Make sure he didn't fuck with the ignition wire when installing the CD player. peace

NG
ngsm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 04:56 AM   #4
low
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to low Send a message via AIM to low Send a message via MSN to low Send a message via Yahoo to low
Hey,
What year is your car on a lot of the newer vehicles there is a chip in the key that has to be read inorder for the car to start but everything else will still work properly. if he blew a fuse that goes to the reader that could cause it, depending on how badly he messed up when he shorted the wires he might have even fried it (just a thought). hope that isnt the problem
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 09:06 AM   #5
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman

you are all dumbasses
often times when doing audio work and you blow a fuse it causes a swtich in the EMS to make it where the engine will not start. pull all the fuses (one at a time, you dont want get confused) and plug them back in (checking visually if they are blown while doing this)

Dont feel bad if this happens to you.

we where out off roading in a friend of mines truck, he hit a big rut and the GD inline fuse blew on the stereo so on the next clearing we stoped, turned the truck off, and poped the hood to replace the fuse. we replaced it and turned the ignition on and it blew agian. so we looked at the amp and it turned out the (+) and (-) had shorted togather. so we fixed that and replaced the fuse agian, trued to turn the motor over.... holy shit it wouldnt start, we dont have a CB, and we are 15 miles out in the middle of nowhere. well we pulled fuses and pluged them back in, every single ignition fuse. none apeared to be blown. then i was like im going to try it just for the hell of it. it cranked right up. when we got home i asked the auto mecanics teacher how this could have happened. he says on newer vehicles when something electrical goes wrong the EMS has a tendency to go into lock down mode. sort of like an amp goes into protect, to prevent any damage to the ECU. to reset this swtich you can either pull the fuse on the Main Ignition ECU or just remove positive batery terminal and replace it.

if it still doesnt start. and it isnt even trying to turn over, check the power wire to the starter. have someoen stand outside when you try to crank it. if they hear a relay poping it may be that he F'd up some relays while Fing up your CD player and shorting it out.
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 10:51 AM   #6
PaulD
Audio Guy

gosh, if only I could be a teenager again ..... so I could know everything (or at least think I do)
Old 03-05-2005, 10:54 AM   #7
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD
gosh, if only I could be a teenager again ..... so I could know everything (or at least think I do)
yeah... i wish too..,

NG
Old 03-05-2005, 11:34 AM   #8
CBFryman
Banned

hahaha, your so funny, too bad im right this time
Old 03-05-2005, 11:41 AM   #9
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Car/audio problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFryman
hahaha, your so funny, too bad im right this time
I told him it was an ignition problem FOO!

NG
Old 03-05-2005, 11:45 AM   #10
CBFryman
Banned

but you didnt tell him what to do about it Foo!!11!!!1!
Mazda pWNZZ JOO!1!1!
Old 03-05-2005, 12:54 PM   #11
PaulD
Audio Guy

I didn't even bother to read the rest of the post - when you start off with "you are all dumbasses" ..... most people just tune you out. Probably why you like to run off at the mouth, cuz no one listens to you. Just something you will learn when you a mature a bit.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:19 PM   #12
low
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to low Send a message via AIM to low Send a message via MSN to low Send a message via Yahoo to low
Re: Re: Car/audio problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFryman
you are all dumbasses
often times when doing audio work and you blow a fuse it causes a swtich in the EMS to make it where the engine will not start. pull all the fuses (one at a time, you dont want get confused) and plug them back in (checking visually if they are blown while doing this)

Dont feel bad if this happens to you.

we where out off roading in a friend of mines truck, he hit a big rut and the GD inline fuse blew on the stereo so on the next clearing we stoped, turned the truck off, and poped the hood to replace the fuse. we replaced it and turned the ignition on and it blew agian. so we looked at the amp and it turned out the (+) and (-) had shorted togather. so we fixed that and replaced the fuse agian, trued to turn the motor over.... holy shit it wouldnt start, we dont have a CB, and we are 15 miles out in the middle of nowhere. well we pulled fuses and pluged them back in, every single ignition fuse. none apeared to be blown. then i was like im going to try it just for the hell of it. it cranked right up. when we got home i asked the auto mecanics teacher how this could have happened. he says on newer vehicles when something electrical goes wrong the EMS has a tendency to go into lock down mode. sort of like an amp goes into protect, to prevent any damage to the ECU. to reset this swtich you can either pull the fuse on the Main Ignition ECU or just remove positive batery terminal and replace it.

if it still doesnt start. and it isnt even trying to turn over, check the power wire to the starter. have someoen stand outside when you try to crank it. if they hear a relay poping it may be that he F'd up some relays while Fing up your CD player and shorting it out.
WOW imagin that some one who knows it all hell I sell and peofessionally install car audio equipment for a living (actually own my own business) and for some reason I didnt know that you should strip all the wires at once or connect the wires on the harnesses while they are attached to the head unit. GO FIGURE of course maybe thats why when I install a system I dont blow fuses or screw up peoples rides! Oh yah and if you MOUNT the amplifier and TIGHTEN the conections then there is no reason the wires on the amp should disconnect and short out. HMMM just a thought "if its worth doing its worth doing RIGHT" why spend all that money on equipment and then just Jerry rig it in? so now that I have said that I will say that I do hope your right as to the solution to the problem but the truth is that when you go shorting out wires there's no telling what your going to screw up and shorting out a wire that is hooked directly to the battery and shorting one conected with the rest of the wires in the dash can have TOTALLY different effects.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:33 PM   #13
CBFryman
Banned

for a person with 2 posts maybe you should be quiet. Paul knew i was kidding (hopefully) about the dumbasses thing and i wasnt the one who isntalled the system. It was the local audio shop, it wasnt my truck and where did you get the idea that i striped all the wires or w/e?
if you knew me and what most of my posts are like i kid around alot but there is often good info in there. and if there isnt then ngsm is a smart ass about it and Bumpin and SR20 come in and correct me. If you only knew....
Old 03-05-2005, 02:45 PM   #14
low
AF Newbie

hey,
Didnt mean to pi$$ you off if you were only joking around but i take pride in the work that I do and dont appreciate being called a dumbass. and the remark about stripping the wires was because I really dont know how your going to short it out if your doing it correctly (strip one wire then crimp the connector then move to the next when your done hook the harness to the factory harness then to the back of the head unit or with amps dont put the fuse in untill your done so there is no power supplied to the unit) when I'm done with an install nothing moves so wires dont disconnect. The reason I directed this towards you is not because I thought you did the install but because you said that it is common and it is NOT unless you dont know what you are doing. in which case a person should take the time to learn. Dont let the fact that I only have 2 posts fool you its not how much you can run your mouth to make a lot of posts its all about how much you actually know!
Old 03-05-2005, 02:55 PM   #15
CBFryman
Banned

i was refering to your posts because you dont know me.
It doesnt matter what shorts out, it could be a stock light bulb being submerged in water causing the short, if it blows a fuse and creates a big enough shock to the system it is common that the EMS will shut itsself off. Thats what i was calling common, not shorts happening from installs....

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio