Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
cts24
AF Newbie

Where'd my horn go - '95 Tacoma 4WD

On my way into work this morning, I had some yahoo cut me off in traffic. I had the bright idea to honk my horn but when I tried... nothing happened.
I checked all fuses and everything checks out o.k.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
cts24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:15 AM   #2
TcmaBoy
AF - Advisor

Re: Where'd my horn go - '95 Tacoma 4WD

You will have to run the wires. It could be the harness, the switch in the steering wheel, the relay, etc. The only way to find the problem is to get a multimeter and chase it down.

Please wheel responsibly.
http://www.treadlightly.org/
TcmaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:23 AM   #3
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

You can try running 12 V from the + battery directly to the horn. See if the horn works. If it doesn't, then you have to replace the horn. If it works, then you are in for the work of tracing the problem.

See if you are getting 12V at the horn button on the steering wheel. If so, then check the other wire from the button for continuity to the horn. If you are getting 12 V at the horn button and there is continuity to the horn, it is the horn button that is at fault.

If there is no continuity to the horn from the horn button, then it is the circuit to the horn.

If you are not getting 12 V at the horn, then it is the circuit from the battery to the horn button.

If you have a horn relay, check the relay. There should be continuity between one pair of opposite contacts and no continuity between the other opposite pair. Apply 12V to the continuous pair and then there should be continuity between the other pair of contacts. Replace the relay if this is not as stated.

With the relay, the continuity issues apply to the relay, and not the horn. Then you have to check the continuity of the circuit between the non-continuous relay contact sockets and both the horn button on one side and the horn on the other.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:05 AM   #4
southtowniceman
AF Newbie

I have a '96 that did the same thing. After determining that I had power to the horn itself, I removed it, squirted some WD-40 into the horn, and rotated it so the stuff would get well inside. I then jumpered it directly to the battery, and kept powering it on and off until it began making noise. At first it just growled a little, but eventually it came back to life and is still working 8 months later. May be just lack of use.
southtowniceman is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma