Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > HHR
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 12:30 PM   #1
mts56
AF Newbie

AC not working

My AC quit working after we checked it and added some freon . It should start blowing warm air off and on. When AC would cycle the engine acted like it was going to die.I went to put gauge on it and noticed bubbles coming around the stem on low side I released some air or freon then tightened it back up no bubbles. Put gauge and can of freon on was just in the edge of blue area so I added so freon then the clutch didn't seem like it was kicking on then the gauge went to the red area any ideas what I might be able to do .Have a seven hour trip back to northwest Ohio Monday mourning
mts56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #2
bellaCuba
AF Regular

Re: AC not working

Roll the windows down. AC is not for the DIYer, honestly. Without a set of manifold gauges and a good knowledge of how the system operates, the DIYer can usually do more harm than good. The newer vehicles are even more sensitive to too high or too low of freon or oil levels. So sensitive that only an ounce or two off, can cause it not to function. Also, many DIYers like to use freon with additives... leak stop, oils, etc. This can also have an adverse effect on the AC system, as some of those additives aren't compatible with what your system calls for. Best to have it checked by a repair shop, IMO.

Best of luck, and sorry to sound so pessimistic but I want to give an honest answer.

Last edited by bellaCuba; 08-12-2016 at 07:07 PM.
bellaCuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:23 AM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: AC not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts56 View Post
My AC quit working after we checked it and added some freon . It should start blowing warm air off and on. When AC would cycle the engine acted like it was going to die.I went to put gauge on it and noticed bubbles coming around the stem on low side I released some air or freon then tightened it back up no bubbles. Put gauge and can of freon on was just in the edge of blue area so I added so freon then the clutch didn't seem like it was kicking on then the gauge went to the red area any ideas what I might be able to do .Have a seven hour trip back to northwest Ohio Monday mourning
you added some refrigerant and it then the low side fitting was making bubbles that would be a bad valve leak. with the charging gauge on the low side and the compressor shuts down the gauge will go up to 100PSI RED zone. when compressor runs then it should drop down to the 20-45PSI area. AIR TEMP @80 deg F low side 40 psi / high side 225PSI. doors windows open ac fan on max. leak additives can block the flow. orifice gets plugged up. if its other than a charging problem best have ac shop look at it.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > HHR