Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > General
General news, articles, other.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-14-2001, 08:58 AM   #1
dlaine
AF Newbie

Question

Hello,

I'm going to buy a new car next month in the $20-28k price range. I have a short list of possible candidates.

After researching the G20, I stopped by Infiniti of Bloomington to check it out. They only had one 2002 G20, and it had already been given to the dealers wife to drive. They only had one 2001 G20 to even look at. It was a G20t priced pretty high. They let me know several times that it was the only 2001 they had left, so it'd be a good idea to buy it today.

I wanted to take a test drive. The best they could do for a test drive was a 1999 former customer service G20(no t). Needless to say, I wasn't all that impressed with the "Infiniti customer experience".

Right after, we went and test drove a Honda Accord EX. The Accord is a pretty generic car (EVERYONE has one), but it was much roomier, seemed just as quick, it's cheaper, and it had many of the refinements and features of the G20. And it won't be discontinued next year.

So what am I missing, besides there are many fewer G20s on the road? I'm still impressed with the G20 from my research, but I'm honestly having a hard time comparing it to other cars in it's class. I really like the car, and I don't want to dismiss it without a fair chance.

Dan
dlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 09:36 AM   #2
G-Forces
Banned

I don't know what to say. Personally I'd never even consider an Accord or Camery. But that's just me. Go back and read some of the "Why did you buy a G20" thread. You'll get a pretty good idea there. I think most people that buy the G20 are car lovers. People that just need something to drive around in will get the Accord or Camery.

I'm not saying the G20 is a car-lovers car...but maybe they appreaciate it more. I don't know if I can explain what you're missing. If you don't feel right buying it then get the Accord. For me after I drove the G I KNEW I wanted it.
G-Forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 10:06 AM   #3
i_rebel
Banned

Send a message via AIM to i_rebel
Let me explain . . .

What you're missing is easily described . . . you're missing the realization that Infiniti is one of the few automakers that takes pride in manufacturing vehicles for those few who know the difference between ordinary and extraordinary . . .

What you're missing is the the basic principle in the statement: "Own one and you'll understand.", as compared to Honda's former: "I'll take it." Infiniti, when cars were first produced under the name in the early '90's or perhaps IN 1990 (can't remember), had an entirely different perspective than many of the other leading auto makers of the time. It was about building FINE cars . . . not just good cars . . . it was about attention to detail . . .

Most importantly, what you missed is a positive sales experience. That's the problem here, not the vehicle. I'm truly sorry that you had to experience the treatment of a dealer that was more concerned with your money than with your satisfaction. It's rather unfortunate that people like that are around.

At any rate, don't be disillusioned. Since you went to the dealership, and you came here for reassurance, I feel that you are more than just slightly interested in the G20 . . . and you should be! Find yourself another Infiniti dealership that isn't too far from home, and make the purchase you intended. You'll be happier in the long run, and like you mentioned, you won't be taking the easy way out by purchasing a cookie-cutter sedan like the Accord.

Take the road less travelled, and you will find that you have much more to be thankful for than just transport from point "A" to point "B" . . .
i_rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 10:41 AM   #4
primera_gte
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to primera_gte
consider the G

dlaine

sorry to hear about your dealership experience.
how many twin cities infiniti dealerships are there? is there one in rochester?

if you check edmunds.com, townhall, infiniti g20 there are a bunch of posts about dealerships and pricing.

just some advice to you about buying.

let the dealership know you will be spending about 22 to 24Gs somewhere for a car and it would behoove them to satisfy you.

make it painfully clear you will not be spending above the invoice price. start low. you can never bargain down your starting price. the salesperson may rant , if he or she blows off your offer walkout the door stating you're going to buy elsewhere. i went with a female friend to a honda dealership and got the salesperson to offer $300 above invoice in less than five minutes.

read carbuyingtips.com
primera_gte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 12:58 PM   #5
i_rebel
Banned

Send a message via AIM to i_rebel
PS . . .

By the way Dlaine . . .

Welcome to the site!
i_rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 01:07 PM   #6
dlaine
AF Newbie

Smile

The replies my post has received make me think my visit to Infiniti of Bloomington must have been a fluke.

There's a second Ininiti dealership in the Twin Cities, and going to the Rochester dealer is an option. I'll take another test drive at a different dealer this weekend.

I agree totally about carbuyingtips.com, it's a great place to learn about the whole process.

Thanks everyone,
Dan
dlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 04:25 PM   #7
02G20T
AF Newbie

Well for starters, ask your local Honda dealer for a loaner next time your in for service! That will go over well.

I have had numerous BMW's, Mercedes, a Porsche and currently have A 99' Mercedes and traded a 2001 Corvette for the G20. I frankly am sick of driving cars that break! Mind you I have yet to be stranded, but I have done the Service lane mambo a few to many times in my short life.

My brother bought a G20 way back awhen and has had no mechanical problems ever! And has only had regular service and wear items serviced on the car. Always gets a loaner. Probably won't have much trouble with a Honda, but you will get the Honda waiting room, customer service etc....

In addition you get a better warranty 4 yr. 60K bumper to bumper, and my personal experience, My mother in law has a V6 Accord, the G20 is a smoother more solid car, stereo is better, funner to drive, aethestically is much more pleasing and in truth there are a lot less G20's than Accords, it actually surprises me, I think the G20 is somewhat of a secret to many.

I don't think you will go wrong w/the G20, but of course it is always a matter of preference. Good luck!
02G20T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:16 AM   #8
hellocrazy
AF Newbie

Re: What am I missing about G20 and Infiniti?

Hey OG20t?

your comment is wrong.
In addition you get a better warranty 4 yr. 60K bumper to bumper, and my personal experience, My mother in law has a V6 Accord, the G20 is a smoother more solid car, stereo is better, funner to drive, aethestically is much more pleasing and in truth there are a lot less G20's than Accords, it actually surprises me, I think the G20 is somewhat of a secret to many.

OG20t you wrote funner to drive? what does funner mean dude?
hellocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote