Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvair
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 05:10 AM   #1
edwardrogersjr
AF Newbie

Question Gas smell while driving

In my 1963 Corvair convertible (which, incidentally, is for sale) I have a gas smell, at times, when driving. It has been suggested (by non-Corvair friends) it is either a fuel leak or a venting problem. Any similar problems or suggestions (I'm not a "car guy", so make it simple). Thanks!
Old 07-04-2006, 11:23 PM   #2
jd-autotech
AF Regular

Re: Gas smell while driving

aside from the obvious leak it very well could have a venting issue hope that helps
Old 04-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #3
Ratt643
AF Newbie

I need to know a few more things. Is the gas smell more obvious when the tank is full or is it all the time? Do you see a puddle of fluid under the front of the car when it is filled up? You may have a ruptured hose that connects the filler hose to the tank( could be cracked from old age or cut, possably a loose clamp). You may also want to check the sending unit (at the bottom of the tank on the passenger side of car) to see if it is leaking. The vent is connected from the top of the tank to the top of the filler neck. Check to see if your gas cap seal is in tack and and not cracked or dry rotted. The cap should be vented. Hope this helps.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
corvairbob
AF Newbie

could be a leak in the tank hose, or fuel pump. the fuel pumps do start leaking and can put gas in the engine compartment. this will get sucked into the heating ventilation system for you to smell. bp.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:29 PM   #5
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairbob
could be a leak in the tank hose, or fuel pump. the fuel pumps do start leaking and can put gas in the engine compartment. this will get sucked into the heating ventilation system for you to smell. bp.
Bob,
Thank you for your input.
Please note this problem was posted 2.5 years ago. By now, the thread starter has either fixed the car, sold it or combusted so it's probably not worthwhile to answer his question.
Try to note the date on threads as we try to discourage members from posting in ancient threads.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvair