Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 09:29 PM   #1
niteshjhaveri
AF Newbie

97 Lumina Turn signal don't work

I checked all bulbs and they all seems fine. Checked Fuse and that is fine too. Hazard flashing is working fine. when I turn signal light(left or right) nothing happens(No blinking light on dashboard or out side).
Side marker bulbs are fine too.

Does anyone know what else could be wrong?
Are there any flashers which I need to replace?
Any help is appriciated...
niteshjhaveri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 09:29 PM   #2
niteshjhaveri
AF Newbie

Re: 97 Lumina Turn signal don't work

any help appriciated...
niteshjhaveri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 12:51 AM   #3
bmfzo6
AF Newbie

there are two possible problems the switch itself or the flasher. try getting agressive with the switch by moving it up and down to see if the t/s start working. or swap flashers with the hazard flasher.it wont work perfectly with that flasher but it will give you an ideA
bmfzo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 07:13 AM   #4
NoFear
AF Newbie

I have the same problem. I also need to get my turn signal fixed. Here is something to try so you atleast can have some sort of signal. When you put the turn signal on, pull the stick slightly to you. This works on my car and you will atleast have a signal to use.
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 05:45 PM   #5
SSSSSmokey
AF Newbie

I have the exact same problem, right down to the "pull it towards you" solution. I just got it checked out today, and the guy said it would be $100 for the part and $200 labor. That seems a LITTLE pricey for me.

Has anyone replaced the part, if so how hard was it and where did you get it?
SSSSSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 08:02 PM   #6
saluki1net
AF Newbie

Same problem - 97 Lumina - Turn signal always works for left turn but does not work for right unless I hold the lever up without "clicking". Bulbs and fuse are ok.
saluki1net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 06:59 AM   #7
Corndog Man
AF Regular

Something going on with these things. My '99 LTZ has good turn signals, but from time to time, the brake lights quit working. Not the third light however. I notice from time to time if I use the left turn signal, the right brake light doesn't come on but if I use the right turn signal the left doesn't come on. That problem is consistent. The brake light has me aggrivated. It has to some how be connected to the turn signal because as folks have written, a little jiggle can make things work. ANybody aware of a service bulletin on this problem?
Corndog Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 07:09 AM   #8
mazzov
AF Newbie

Turn signals don't work

All,

I have a 96 Lumina and the turn signals are no longer working. The hazards are fine though they won't stay on (only work when switch is pressed down). I have ordered a flasher to try and narrow it down. If not I will look at the switch in the colum. Has anybody replaced the switch in colum? How do I remove the air bag without setting it off?

Vince
mazzov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 04:58 PM   #9
broughy84
AF Enthusiast

get a book first of all it will tell you. Disconnect the battery and pull the fuses. Let the car set for a few hours, I can't remember how many though. You have to do this because there is residual energy stored in the air bag system. Pull the cover off and unplugg the air bag.

DO NOT TAKE THIS AS THE GOSPEL I HAVE NEVER PULLED AN AIR BAG BEFORE, THIS IS WHAT I WAS TOLD BE A MECHANIC HERE IN TOWN! Personally I would take it elsewhere. Why risk the thing blowing up in your face!
2004 GMC Yukon XL -- 223,000 miles

1987 Jeep Comanche -- 116,000 miles

broughy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 06:23 PM   #10
cadgear
AF Enthusiast

Pull the airbag fuse, disconnect the CPA plugs from the driver/passenger side airbags, then remove the airbag as per the manual. Just remember to treat the airbags with utmost respect and care. And yes, the airbag controller module does store energy needed to deploy the airbags for quite some time. However if you disconnect the CPA plug then the system can't send the signal to the airbag even if something did go wrong.

However, if you're the least bit uncomfortable with this, then by all means take the car to someone who is.
cadgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:21 AM   #11
Euroguy026
AF Regular

I have the Same Problem in My Lumina Right Turn Signal Doesnt Work in the Rear, But Front Right Turn Signal Works the the Left Front and Rear Signal Works, Its not bulbs or flasher because i replaced it, its a short in the steering colum ( Or What my Dad Thinks)

www.cardomain.com/id/euroguy026

The LUMINATOR LIVES On
Intimidator (#3 Nascar) + Lumina = Luminator
Euroguy026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 06:00 PM   #12
midnight_rider
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to midnight_rider Send a message via Yahoo to midnight_rider

Take the wheel off. remove the switch and carfully bend the contacts towards the metal contact ring. GMs are notorious for the contcats bending in their switches. bend them back the right direction and they will work like a new switch. I've done this several times.
midnight_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 06:52 AM   #13
mazzov
AF Newbie

All,

Called the dealer yesterday and he told me it wouold cost $330 to replace the switch in the colum. So I went to the parts store and figured I would try to replace the $9.80 flasher for the turn signal first . Problem is that I CAN'T FIND IT . I found the one for the emergency lights but can't find the one for the turn signals. F.Y.I. in my car it's a little black box or at least it's replacemeant will be.

Any help would be appreciated.
mazzov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 07:41 AM   #14
Euroguy026
AF Regular

That Flasher is Located at the Bottom Of The Steering Colum Near the Pedals. U gotta Bend the plastic outta the way and its right under there at least for my 93

www.cardomain.com/id/euroguy026

The LUMINATOR LIVES On
Intimidator (#3 Nascar) + Lumina = Luminator
Euroguy026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 11:02 AM   #15
grasnic
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSSSmokey
I have the exact same problem, right down to the "pull it towards you" solution. I just got it checked out today, and the guy said it would be $100 for the part and $200 labor. That seems a LITTLE pricey for me.

Has anyone replaced the part, if so how hard was it and where did you get it?

It's not hard, don't waste your $300, just go by a puller, you can get them for $20 at Harbor Freight, Pull off your steering wheel, unplug your horn, open it up, replace the switch, the only thing that sucks is that you have to replace the whole harness, so you will have to get up under your dash.
grasnic is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina