Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cruze
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
brian_k24
AF Newbie

2012 Cruze noisy front struts

I have the front struts that clunk very loud. I had brought my car in for this problem in Feb 2014 with 23,000 miles and the struts were replaced with the supposedly new upgraded struts. Then in Nov 2014 with 36,000 miles the noise was back, it was not real bad but was back. I brought it back to the dealer and they could not hear it. I went for a ride with the mechanic and I could hear it and asked the mechanic and he said he could not hear anything. Now with 50,000 miles the noise is so bad you would think the front end is going to fall off. I have had it on ramps to look at the front suspension and everything(ball joints, tie rod ends, swaybar links, motor mounts, etc.) is tight.

My question is, what brand strut could I use to replace my struts without them failing again within 10,000-20,000 miles.
brian_k24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:14 AM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 2012 Cruze noisy front struts

with struts you need to replace the springs as well. this is a common problem with chinese steel. with low quality metal and poor spring manufacturing process this is what happens. many 1500 silverado 2007 and newer have these problems usually just after the warranty ends. replace springs and struts with a good part warranty. you may find a lifetime warranty .
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:48 AM   #3
brian_k24
AF Newbie

When the dealer replaced the struts they did also replace the springs. Not sure if they replaced the strut mount.

I did solve the problem though. It was the sway bar links. When I checked for play with the weight of the car on the link or the weight of the suspension on the link when jacked up everything was tight. I decide to take to strut off and see what was going on and when I did that I could tell the link was bad. The plastic socket in the link was worn slightly. Replaced both links with some Moog steel links and everything is fine now.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:53 AM   #4
brian_k24
AF Newbie

Not sure how much money or weight GM saves by using plastic sway bar links. But I can't believe they save much on either compared to using steel.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:29 AM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_k24 View Post
Not sure how much money or weight GM saves by using plastic sway bar links. But I can't believe they save much on either compared to using steel.
plastic is almost no cost but even if GM could save 2cents on a part cost they would.

worn links is also related to weak suspension .esp on bad road.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cruze