Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Prism
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 01:53 PM   #1
rackel411
AF Newbie

Check Engine Light Code po441

I have a '98 chevy prizim & last week the check engine light came on. I took it in & found that it was on due to code PO441, which means "Evaporated Emission Control System / Incorrect Purge Flow" After they told me they reset the light & said if it came back on to take it to a mechanic. Well, low & behold the light came on 24 hours later!! Can anyone tell me if this is something that I can fix myself and/or about how much this might cost? Thanks all!!

Last edited by rackel411; 04-04-2006 at 04:32 PM.
rackel411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:03 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Check Engine Light Code po441

Purge valve solenoid seems to be the most common cause of this but must be diagnosed using the appropriate trouble tree, the solenoid is part of the vapor cannister and is expensive.
maxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #3
highlandlake
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackel411
Can anyone tell me if this is something that I can fix myself and/or about how much this might cost? Thanks all!!
Did you overfill the tank, by trying to top it off? You might have put fuel down into the vapor lines, which prevents the system from working. I read somewhere on a forum here last year about opening up the canister(?) lines and letting them air dry and then resetting the CE light. Worth a try, if you are so inclined to mess with those components. Otherwise, prepare for a nasty hit to the VISA. good luck.
GMC S-15 4WD
'57 Chevy 210 post sedan
'51 Ford F2 pickup
Recently gone but not forgotten - 68 Chevelle, '97 Rodeo V6 4WD.
highlandlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:18 AM   #4
johnholl
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandlake
Did you overfill the tank, by trying to top it off? You might have put fuel down into the vapor lines, which prevents the system from working. I read somewhere on a forum here last year about opening up the canister(?) lines and letting them air dry and then resetting the CE light. Worth a try, if you are so inclined to mess with those components. Otherwise, prepare for a nasty hit to the VISA. good luck.
Read the same. I wonder if drying the lines would help. My wife's car sets the same flag, and I've tested the solenoid...it's fine. I replaced the lines going back to the canister myself last year. Iv'e heard the main culprit is the pressure sensor switch, or the Canister. I can get the car to pass emmisions testing if i clear the cpu, drive the car a few cycles and head straight to the inspection mechanic. His palm-pc shows a "not-set" condition for the purge ckt., which is acceptable for NY State at this time.

John,
johnholl@650dialup.com
johnholl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:05 PM   #5
n1ckml007
AF Newbie

On my 1999 Prizm I needed to get the Canister filter replaced to pass inspection.
n1ckml007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:09 AM   #6
johnholl
AF Regular

Interesting. the light in my wifes' car goes on and off durring the year. Is their a filter within the canister which can be replaced or did the entire unit need to be replaced? I've hear tell where the canister was replaced, at a costly sum by the service department, and it not fixing the p0441 flag.

Did you ever see the amount of rust-dirt and corrosion that these components are subjected to? Who's idea was it to place them above the rear axle?
johnholl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:51 AM   #7
n1ckml007
AF Newbie

The codes I had prior to inspection was PO441 and P0446. My check engine light was on consistantly. The notes on my shop write up are "EVAP INCORRECT FLOW AND VENT CONTROL PROBLEM. TESTED THE EVAP VENT VALVE AND IT IS NOT WORKING. SOLD AS CANISTER AND VALVE ASSEMBLY"

The cost was $272.35 for the part and $75 for and hr of labor.

The P0446 was thought to be a related to a broken O2 stud, which was replaced with the gasket.

Yeah the EVAP unit get exposed to everything, it is close to the gas tank, that's about the only reason to put it under the rear axle.
n1ckml007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
tech054
AF Newbie

This code p0441 can also be related to the gas cap, i used to get this code after filling up at the station, i bought a new cap at the local napa auto parts store and that light does not come on any more. The (EVAP) emission control system prevents the escape of fuel vapors from a vehicle's fuel system. if the fuel cap is not sealing correctly you may get this code. Its the easiest/cheapest solution to try first.
tech054 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Prism