Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 10:13 PM   #1
71nova_lover
Banned

what engine should i put in my nova

i got a nice 350 and i got a stock 427 and i would sort of like to make a yenco clone but i cant find any thing for a yenco clone and i was just wondering which engine should i put in my nova
71nova_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: what engine should i put in my nova

What do you want from the car? The small block will have good power and fun performance, without making the car "nose heavy". That means it will still handle as well as stock.

The big block will make it a beast. Springs for the SS396 Nova (396 and 427 weight just about exactly the same) will set the ride height. It WILL be "nose heavy", so hard cornering will suffer. Disc brakes are mandetory up front with that much power.

Give us a little more detailed request, and we can be more specific.

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:07 PM   #3
SMOKSHO
AF Newbie

Good question that continues to be asked. There are pros and cons for both engine combos. 350 is going to be cheaper on parts, easy to work on, will make good power and all kinds of aftermarket parts are available. 427 will make much more torque, most any mods add more noticeable power, looks really big under the hood. If you decide on the 427 you must know that once you start modifying the engine everything behind it will become weak. Also parts are more expensive and the added weight.
I hope you get info from others that have used both combos in similar cars. If you have the chance to drive a car with a 350 and a 427 you will almost always over look the cons of a big block and choose it anyway.
There are many small blocks that will smoke a 427, comes down to money. I have a 427 in my Camaro and love driving it but it is a money pit.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:45 PM   #4
Bad81bu
AF Newbie

To be honest with you i would build the 350, i have been a small block guy for alot of years and would put my little 406 up against most big blocks anyday, dollar for dollar a small block will give you much more BANG for your perverbial buck!! i hope thats how you spell it anyway hahahaha.

Tell us what ya decide to do, always been a fan of the nova's

Brett B.
Bad81bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
sub006
AF Enthusiast

The 388 small block in our '63 post is more torque than 225/60 x 15's can handle. Frame connectors and front discs are a must.

Wouldn't bother with a big block unless I was also putting in some BIG tubs and a narrowed rear. BTW, the one that worked for us was a Chrysler 8 3/4.
Bigger bearings, super-rugged, and one from a Valiant/Dart/Duster 6 is the same as supplied with a 440, and will have hardly any wear. The width is narrow enough to bolt in and cost is half that of a 12 bolt or nine inch.
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:45 AM   #6
zhoff96z28
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to zhoff96z28

I got a buddy with a Nova and he has a built 355 in his. It runs low 6s with spray(1/8 mile). I think the built small block is the way to go.

1985 Corvette - Stock excpet for no mufflers......For Sale 113k miles PM me

1996 Firebird - 6 cylinder, Cat cut out, and Ram air........For Sale 100k miles PM me
zhoff96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:23 AM   #7
jakeachy
AF Newbie

327?
i really believe that was chevy's finest.
until the had to F*ck with everything.
jakeachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:42 PM   #8
Bad81bu
AF Newbie

What year is the 427? would you be interested in selling it or trading for my 406, it has a tunnel ram, aluminum heads, gear drive, 2-450 Holleys, bout 300 miles on it, cam and lifters and pushrods are new.

Lemme know what ya think.
Bad81bu is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical