Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 05:30 PM   #1
azt1234
AF Newbie

Building a Custom Car

I thought I'd get some thoughts from an online forum as to whether people think this is a doable, questionable, or outright bad idea.

Long story short, I travel a lot and live overseas a lot of the year. I keep a car in the states but they end up sitting and I have to pay to keep them somewhere and for someone to start them up, only to have to pay more money to repair it when I get back, etc. Basically, I'm sick and tired of spending a bunch of money on something I don't like having anyway (I'm a big proponent of public transportation but it's lacking here in rural areas). I have a 2005 Scion and I was told (and researched) and apparently it takes about 6 hours to replace the clutch that's going out. I also have an F100 that's getting fixed and it took several hours to get the engine out to begin the rebuild (I bought this for pleasure and to try to flip).

So my idea is to build a custom vehicle that has the bare minimum of what I would need. And hopefully sell it to people who don't have a lot of money and just need something basic to get from point A to B. When I say custom I mean using new aftermarket or remanufactured parts from past-year models of various vehicles. Engine, suspension, steering, transmission, etc., and putting it all together. Doesn't need power windows, heated seats, nice interior, or other bells and whistles, just heat/air and a radio and a couple seats is fine. I have a shop that is willing to do it for I think a good shop rate (~75/hour) and I know them, they're not just some shop I chose at random for this. They said they can do fabrication, they've got a MIG welder, oxyacetelene torch they use for doing exhausts and whatnot, other tools.

The goal is to have what is essentially a newer model vehicle for a old model price. I want to keep it at around $5,000 total, reason being that you can pay 3x that and get some new (small/compact) cars from the big automakers, so I want to make it attractive to buy vs those models. I'm thinking about doing this as a pickup truck since I think people would find more use for that around here than just a regular car. So basically a cab with a cheap bed attached. I know there are side-by-sides and Gators or whatever, but they're not enclosed from the weather and don't go fast enough for highways, and people do not drive those as everyday drivers. That's not what I'm looking to make here.

If you think it's doable, what parts might you recommend? Engine, tranny, suspension, etc.

Extra question: I would really like to make it where you can drop the engine or transmission out in an hour - basically the big common repairs would have both parts and especially labor minimized.

I know this is a super broad question, but I thought I'd shoot and see what happens
azt1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:57 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Building a Custom Car

Absolutely not doable. I don't think you have considered all the governmental hoops you'd have to jump through. There is a ton of R&D that goes into cars. There are a lot of safety factors. You can't just weld some tubes together, and build a car then put an engine and trans in and put it up for sale.

Also at $75 an hour they'd have to complete it in an amazing amount of time because at just 66 hours they'd already be at your $5000 and that doesn't even include materials. I had around 200 hours (or possibly more) just in "restoring" my car.

To really put into perspective how unrealistic that number is the Exocet is a tube chassis kit car based on the Miata. The kit costs $7500 (+freight) and it doesn't even include an engine and trans, or tires and wheels, or suspension, plus you have to "build" it all yourself.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:24 AM   #3
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

Second vote for not doable. If it were doable - and the market was interested - one of the big boys would be on it. They have all the resources to do it cheaply, on budget, and with quality levels the average garage level manufacturer couldn't come close to. Not to mention their dealer network.

Now to solve the problem that is driving your thoughts. You are on the right track. It is cheapest to have an older car with the risk that it may breakdown and require repair. Then have a similar car as a backup.

This is not going to be very fashionable nor hip, but it will be inexpensive.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:23 PM   #4
oldtimer 11
AF Newbie

The guy who owns Dyson just spent 500 million dollars to design and build a prototype electric SUV. He gave up when he realized that it would cost a hundred time that to get it to market and the car would have to cost $182,000 and at that price it could not have enough sales to break even.

Also, the Federal Government does not let you just build cars. They have to meet all federal and state regs, be crash tested and emission tested and you have to supply the cars.

You have a nice pipe dream to entertain your mind with but you might as well be working on a perpetual motion machine.
oldtimer 11 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General