Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:20 PM   #1
nickharmon
AF Newbie

Can Anyone Help Me??

hi im 16 years old and we have a 55 chevy bel air that has a 396 bored to a 402 bbc and it wont start. We bought all new ignition wires and a new coil. Everything is working correctly. It started for two days then it wouldent start. So, we bought a new coil again and put it in but it still wont start. we have tested the power to the coil and there is power to it but it just wont spark over to the distributer. The plug is new too. And the wires on the coil are on correctly. If anyone can tell me how to fix this i would appreaciate it a lot. Thanks!
nickharmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:31 PM   #2
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six
Re: Can Anyone Help Me??

have you checked the distributor and distributor arm? if it's not making contact properly it won't provide power to the plugs.

are the plugs sparking?
Old 07-05-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
jehiatt
AF Newbie

Re: Can Anyone Help Me??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickharmon
hi im 16 years old and we have a 55 chevy bel air that has a 396 bored to a 402 bbc and it wont start. We bought all new ignition wires and a new coil. Everything is working correctly. It started for two days then it wouldent start. So, we bought a new coil again and put it in but it still wont start. we have tested the power to the coil and there is power to it but it just wont spark over to the distributer. The plug is new too. And the wires on the coil are on correctly. If anyone can tell me how to fix this i would appreaciate it a lot. Thanks!
xx
First clean the points and WD40 them. Replace the capacitor in the dist. You say you have 12 volts supply on the coil + with the ignition on - check that it is still there when trying to crank. YES?
Read the voltage on the other coil terminal going to the distributor. When cranking, your voltmeter should moved up and down or test light high and low to indicate the points are working. YES? The only other thing there is the capacitor tied to the coil wire terminal inside the distributor.
It causes the coil to create the hi voltage spark when the points open.
jehiatt is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical