Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 05:35 AM   #1
Christy89
AF Newbie

complete noob, switching engines?

I know next to nothing about engines so i was wondering if someone could answer my question on here, keep in mind i know like nothing.

I have a '94 Subaru Legacy (manual) that is pretty much done when it comes to being road legal, but i put a new-used engine in it a couple years ago that is still in good shape. I also have an old Mazda B2000 (automatic) but it needs alot of work before its driveable, but i'd rather be driving the truck. I was wondering if it was at all possible to put the Subaru engine in the Mazda with out too much trouble.

Thanks!
Christy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
vgames33
AF Enthusiast

Re: complete noob, switching engines?

It's more trouble than its worth.

The Mazda transmission won't bolt to the Subaru engine. You'd have to move the Subaru's tranny with the engine (or find an adapter plate), and then you'd probably have to make custom mounts for both. You'd also have to bring over the computer for the Subaru engine.
vgames33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:22 PM   #3
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

This swap is pretty much impossible. The Subaru has a very unusual horizontally - opposed configuration (seen only in old Beetles, rear engine Porsches, old Corvairs...... and Subarus)

This means the engine is quite low and wide.

The Mazda has a very common in-line configuration, so the engine is relatively tall and narrow.

Therefore, not only will the Subie engine not bolt up, there is likely physically not enough room for it in the Mazda chassis.

IMO sell the Subaru. Try to find the receipt for the newer engine to prove its not original. You may get a few more dollars for it that way. Then put the money in the Mazda.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:39 AM   #4
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat
This swap is pretty much impossible. The Subaru has a very unusual horizontally - opposed configuration (seen only in old Beetles, rear engine Porsches, old Corvairs...... and Subarus)

Don't forget Alfa Romeos from the 70s and 80s, oh, and fast majority of piston engine aircraft.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:23 PM   #5
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppie
Don't forget Alfa Romeos from the 70s and 80s, oh, and fast majority of piston engine aircraft.
Yeah, and the Citroen Deux Chevaux, too...............
Motorcycles..........BMW, Dneper, Ural, Yangzee, etc.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:49 AM   #6
INF3RN0666
AF Regular

Sorry to say man but nobody does custom work like that any more. People tend to buy "kits" for their cars now-a-days. You buy an engine that's meant to go in your car, whether it's a performance engine or the stock one, it was built to function in your current car. That's because it falls right into place onto the original mounts and transmission. Sometimes, they recommend you upgrade your computer's firmware to run your new engine smoothly. Even now, doing stuff like that is rare. You see people going from the V6 mustang to the V8 because there's a V8 option for the mustang, but you don't see them putting in a Viper's V10 because it doesn't just bolt on.
INF3RN0666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:44 AM   #7
KiwiBacon
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by INF3RN0666
Sorry to say man but nobody does custom work like that any more. People tend to buy "kits" for their cars now-a-days. You buy an engine that's meant to go in your car, whether it's a performance engine or the stock one, it was built to function in your current car. That's because it falls right into place onto the original mounts and transmission. Sometimes, they recommend you upgrade your computer's firmware to run your new engine smoothly. Even now, doing stuff like that is rare. You see people going from the V6 mustang to the V8 because there's a V8 option for the mustang, but you don't see them putting in a Viper's V10 because it doesn't just bolt on.
Depends on the crowd you hang out with.
Engine swaps are commonplace to enthusiasts, where your average clueless ricer would rather spend the time refining their exhaust tip.
KiwiBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:19 PM   #8
psychopathicdude
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiBacon
...clueless ricer[s]...spend [too much] time refining their exhaust tip[s].
(this quote has been edited to run in the time allotted, and for comedic effect)

Why you rippin on the exhaust tip, man? You're just jealous...

(note extreme sarcasm... as my exhaust tip is simply absurd... see photo)

Speaking of swaps, I want to put an Textron Lycoming AGT1500 Gas Turbine into a Semi-Tractor... anyone know where I can find engine mounts for that? Or where I can buy the engine? (come on, army surplus....I'm waiting!!!!)

(may the gods of moderation forgive my necrothreadiacism... and smile on my witty banter....)
psychopathicdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:56 PM   #9
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat
Motorcycles..........BMW, Dneper, Ural, Yangzee, etc.
don't forget the honda goldwing....

in fact, that might not be a bad idea for this. 1800cc flat six, and its very compact

It even has a quasi-reverse gear

Might be a challenge finding one for cheap though

Three turbo'd motorcycles and counting.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #10
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiBacon
Depends on the crowd you hang out with.
Engine swaps are commonplace to enthusiasts, where your average clueless ricer would rather spend the time refining their exhaust tip.
So true too. It used to be that the "looks" of the car was secondary, and the performance was primary. Those were the haydays of stuffing bigblocks in Chevettes. These days most ricers have $8K into body work and paint jobs and leave the motor bone stock.

Something very wrong with that IMO

Three turbo'd motorcycles and counting.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical