Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
bestinbmore
AF Newbie

v6 vs v8

Someone told me that v8 engines last longer and have less problems is that true?
bestinbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

Re: v6 vs v8

this would be simular to saying all fords are more reliable than all chevy's. Its a gross generalization that might have a grain of truth to it, but would be impossible to prove.

You could argue V6's are more reliable since there's less parts that could fail. It would be just as valid an argument IMO

Three turbo'd motorcycles and counting.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
INF3RN0666
AF Regular

For the average consumer, NO. For commercial use, yes. Let's say your car is part of the police force. If it's a V6, the constant demand on the engine will be overwhelming. If you have a V8, the power is distributed amongst 8 cylinders, and you're less likely to have complete engine failure, but you also have more valves & springs that might need replacement at high mileage. As a general rule (not always true though), V8 deliver more power. More power means that you'll be red-lining the engine less often to accelerate at your desired rate. If you're driving a V6, you'll need to floor the gas further to get the same acceleration. So as you can see, you're placing more demand on a V6 compared to the V8 --> more failure rate. This also depends on the engineering of the engine (no doubt about it).
INF3RN0666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:55 AM   #4
GreyGoose006
AF Enthusiast

but, if the cop has a v8 instead of a v6, he would still accelerate as hard as the engine would let him.
its not like he would limit the acceleration to the capabilities of the v6 if he has a v8

there is the other problem of comparing two displacements
you could have a 4L v8 and a 4.5L v6
it all depends
there are too many variables
GreyGoose006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:41 AM   #5
KiwiBacon
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestinbmore
Someone told me that v8 engines last longer and have less problems is that true?
No it's not.
KiwiBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:39 PM   #6
bestinbmore
AF Newbie

well i was thinking if i was going to buy a car even though i would like to get the biggest engine i dont need it because it would cost more and it would most likely use more gas. So ill rather get a v6 now.
bestinbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:38 AM   #7
Hudson
Old Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by INF3RN0666
For the average consumer, NO. For commercial use, yes. Let's say your car is part of the police force. If it's a V6, the constant demand on the engine will be overwhelming. If you have a V8, the power is distributed amongst 8 cylinders, and you're less likely to have complete engine failure, but you also have more valves & springs that might need replacement at high mileage. As a general rule (not always true though), V8 deliver more power. More power means that you'll be red-lining the engine less often to accelerate at your desired rate. If you're driving a V6, you'll need to floor the gas further to get the same acceleration. So as you can see, you're placing more demand on a V6 compared to the V8 --> more failure rate. This also depends on the engineering of the engine (no doubt about it).
I don't see your argument. If an eight-cylinder engine could take abuse longer than an equivalent six-cylinder engine, then why are all over-the-road trucks six-cylinders? I don't believe that the number of cylinders has much at all to do with the durability of the engine, so long as the engine is designed for the abuse it will receive.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical