Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 08:59 AM   #1
Mage218
AF Newbie

65 Mustang Convertable

i have a 1965 Mustang Convertable, 4spd manual, and i think it has a 302 but not sure on that one. It has been sitting in a garage anywhere from 5 to 10 years and i was wondering if it would be worth the trouble of restoring it. The body and interior is in great condition, the soft top needs to be replaced and the rearend is leaking but i think its just a busted seal. The only thing i do not know is how bad the engine is but i really want to restore it if it is worth it.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:17 PM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: 65 Mustang Convertable

Mage,
If it's the original engine, it's a 289. 302 didn't appear until '68.

Is it worth it? You bet! Those cars are going for pretty big money. You can rebuild the orignial 289 for under $2,500 for a quality job. If it's a trans-planted 302 (they look alike and fit), it's a bit cheaper to rebuild. Most internal components are the same.
Be advised, it it's the '65 block, a 302 won't "drop in", as the bell housing pattern is different. Count the number of bolts going through the bell housing. 5 means "early" 289. 6 means later 289 and 302. If you have the 5-bolt, KEEP IT!
The trans is probably a Borg Warner T-10. If it has an aluminum case, it is that. If it has an iron case, and the shift linkage attaches to bolts protruding from the side of the case (no side cover), lucky you! It's a "top loader". That's the better one of the era.

Jim
Old 06-05-2007, 09:15 PM   #3
Msvic
AF Newbie

Not worth keeping an old Mustang that needs so much work, I'll do you a favor & take it off your hands, no charge!
Actually, you have a really great car to start on,
I know ford guys, myself included that would give almost anything to be in your place
You could post the serial number for decoding to find out exactly what color, engine, trans ,etc it came with.
You could e-mail Kevin Martini who has access to all old Ford records & he can tell you exactly the history of your car.
For instance, look at the tag on the driver door, is the 5th digit a K?
Do let me know
go to Mustangs & more website & scroll down to 65 Mustangs to talk to guys that know more about your car than anyone you will find on line!
Good Luck & if you want to sell it
let me know
Old 06-06-2007, 04:19 AM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

I suspect Mage got some messages trying to relieve her of her burden about 20 months ago.

Given this thread is so old, it will be closed.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical