Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-14-2001, 05:03 PM   #1
Twist
AF Enthusiast

Magazines

Hey, are there any good modeling magazines? The link that SS2K provided is on Scale Auto Enthusiasts Website ( http://www.scalautomag.com ) Any others or ones that you guys enjoy in particular? (Bear in mind that I have preschool Japanese reading ability!)

Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 09:04 PM   #2
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Re: Magazines

Scale Auto Enthusiast is the full name, published by Kalmbach Publishing Co. They also publish FineScale Modeler and Model Railroader. I used to get Model Railroader (MR). FineScale seems to cover everything other than cars and trains, usually aircraft and armor.

All three are chock full of excellent tips and techniques, but the usefulness of them varies. There's a lot about camoflauging in FineScale, and you probably don't need to make a military-issue Corvette. :hehe:

MR is usually about stuff that's in scales that are way smaller than your cars. HO gauge, the most popular, is 1/87 scale, IIRC. I used to fiddle with N scale; 1/160. BTW, the cars that are available in these scale to decorate the streets alongside the railroad layout look like crap. Usually little plastic shells.

I think G scale is 1/25 scale. G scale is popular for garden railroads. (Hmmm... think "G" stands for "garden?" LOL!) They tend to just use 1/25 die-cast cars if they need 'em. If anyone's in SoCal, go check out the huge garden layout at the L.A. County Fair. It'll make you want your own.

I know Tamiya puts out a magazine, but I've never found a place that carries it.
Quote:
Originally posted by Twist
(Bear in mind that I have preschool Japanese reading ability!)
I can sound out katakana most of the time, but no hiragana or kanji. There are a number of Japanese model mags, but they seem to focus on Gundam and other anime stuff. Sometimes they feature cars, but not too often.
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 09:48 PM   #3
Twist
AF Enthusiast

I know hiragana and katakana fairly well. I can write about 75 Kanji and can reconginze about twice that. Speaking-wise, I know when I've been insulted and the basic hello... my name is... i will kill you.... etc... etc... the I will kill you is rather ironically the first phrase I learned. It's from Gundam Wing. Heero Yuy says that in episode 1. You gotta love the way he says that in the original japanese... Omae o korosu...

Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 11:29 PM   #4
primera man
"P-Man"

Send a message via AIM to primera man
Jay...Thanks for the sites. I have been meaning to look them up for some time now but always seemed to forget.
Cheers

Current Build.....1/12 Scale Camaro......Almost finished!!!

View All My Models Here.
primera man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 11:34 PM   #5
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Yeah, the newsstand where I work used to carry SAE, but they don't anymore. I used to pick it up at lunch.
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 11:37 PM   #6
primera man
"P-Man"

Send a message via AIM to primera man
I can never get the Tamiya one

Current Build.....1/12 Scale Camaro......Almost finished!!!

View All My Models Here.
primera man is offline   Reply With Quote