Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 08:49 PM   #16
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Re: 1/12 Revell F40

OK, it's decided, it needs to be superdetailed. Ya can't taunt us like htis and not carry through!

You have calipers, right? So what do the tyres and wheels measure out to? The rear tyres and wheels should have the same diameter as the front- only the width should be larger. I think I can dig up the OEM sizes for the F40- if not, we can at least compare them tot he Tamiya wheels/tyres. I agree that the rear arches could probably stand some adjustment.

The lack of an F40 emblem on the wing is kind of annoying. I'm not sure what the best way to address that is. I might be tempted to cut out a mask from self adhesive vinyl or contact paper, and then try 'sandblasting' it in with a mild media blaster. I think Badger sells media blasting supplies.

No wing mirrors?

As for the clear parts, don't worry too much. The 1/12 Revel kit seems to be pretty easily availible, and that means spare parts shouldn't be hard to come by. I've had a good warm fuzzy experince with Revell replacement lately- I simply inqured to RoG if some parts could be purchased, and a month later (honestly after I'd forgotten about it) Revellogram USA had the parts in my mailbox.

So do you have just a lathe, or mill/rotary table too?
Old 04-20-2007, 10:38 PM   #17
Daki
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemechanic
What are your thoughts on the P/E? I have a lathe and am prepared to use it. Me personally I'd love to see a set of OZ wheels for this car. Now that I have the kit I would absolutely love to super-detail it, there are so many references on the net for this car, just don't know if I could pull it off. I think the major downfall of this kit is the wheel/tire size as mentioned here.

Mike.
I am soooo with you on a set of OZ wheels The ONLY set I know of are off another 1/12 scale Fujimi racing version of the F40 and those are super hard to find. I would buy a set of OZ rims for mine in a heartbeat if they were made (hint hint)
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:17 AM   #18
p9o1r1sche

The PE sprue has parts for several different cars on it. It has a chrome-like finish and is double etched for extra detail. It looks very good, but I dont know how well the parts fit, which is very important.

I cant find my calculations, but the wheel rims were the correct size, the tires were off, based on scaling down the OEM size tires. I found an owners manual somewhere on line, which helps with detailing.

I planned to build mine as a track car, so I was going to make slicks, a round headlight conversion, different exhaust system, and who knows what else. I have all the machining tools - lathe, mill, rotary table, bench grinder for making custom cutting tools, drill press, so the sky's the limit, as they say.
p9o1r1sche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:54 PM   #19
mikemechanic
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPWR
OK, it's decided, it needs to be superdetailed. Ya can't taunt us like htis and not carry through!
Yes Andy I will go through with it, it'll just take me a bit of time to gather everything together.

Quote:
You have calipers, right? So what do the tyres and wheels measure out to? The rear tyres and wheels should have the same diameter as the front- only the width should be larger. I think I can dig up the OEM sizes for the F40- if not, we can at least compare them tot he Tamiya wheels/tyres. I agree that the rear arches could probably stand some adjustment.
There are calipers in the kit but they look pretty small to me, have to get the wheels off and have a look. Does anybody make 1/12 resin calipers? I am looking up some specs to see how the wheels and tires measure out, I thought the width should be larger but after looking at a few pictures of F40's they really aren't that wide to begin with. Not sure what needs to be done with the wheel arches, maybe some of you guys can shed some light on that for me.

Quote:
The lack of an F40 emblem on the wing is kind of annoying. I'm not sure what the best way to address that is. I might be tempted to cut out a mask from self adhesive vinyl or contact paper, and then try 'sandblasting' it in with a mild media blaster. I think Badger sells media blasting supplies.

No wing mirrors?
I have a few ideas on the F40 emblem for sure, but that is a great idea. No the mirrors were missing but the Revell kit has them attached to the bottom of the window and not on the doors so some scratchbuilding is in order there.

Quote:
As for the clear parts, don't worry too much. The 1/12 Revel kit seems to be pretty easily availible, and that means spare parts shouldn't be hard to come by. I've had a good warm fuzzy experince with Revell replacement lately- I simply inqured to RoG if some parts could be purchased, and a month later (honestly after I'd forgotten about it) Revellogram USA had the parts in my mailbox.

So do you have just a lathe, or mill/rotary table too?
Yeah I thought that I would contact Revell about some replacement glass. I only have a lathe, there is an option to mount a milling vice on it but I think that I would still be limited as I am not sure I can add a rotary table to it. Looks like I have a bit of work cut out for me finding enough specs and pictures to figure out what really needs to be done.

Thanks all.

Mike.

mikemechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:02 PM   #20
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemechanic
There are calipers in the kit but they look pretty small to me.
Andy was talking about measuring calipers, like dial calipers, to measure the wheel or tire.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:13 PM   #21
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

I was just about to say that.

Old 04-21-2007, 02:15 PM   #22
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

Quote:
I was just about to say that.
Yeah, but you one-upped me with the picture! Oh, I have the same cutting mat, but instead of paint marks I have liquid cement smudges.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:35 PM   #23
mikemechanic
AF Enthusiast

Duh sorry, thats the mechanic in me. I spend more time with brake calipers than with measuring calipers. Yes I have calipers and can make some measurements with them. I see you got the fancy digital ones, mine are the old fashioned kind like I learned on during my apprenticeship days.

Mike.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:24 PM   #24
chola
AF Newbie

Hi,

Can't wait to see this one builtup! I am doing the same thing.

A word on th Scaledetails kit, probably 50% of it is usable, the rest is just too out of proportion to work (eg: the front mesh is too small).

However, the parts are very nicely done, and depending on how much you get the set for (check out Ebay), could be worth it just for the bits you can use.

The pics of the model look like the rear wheels are a little too far forward, maybe need to address this. Also, see if you can get your hands on a set of the Protar F40 wheels and tires, much much better (the rear ones at least look like they come off an F40) - I wouldn't buy a whole Protar kit to get them though, it is terrible! I looks like Revell have used the same tires from their Testarossa in the F40 kit. Look at the branding on the sideswall of the tires, to the best of my knowledge Pirelli P-Zeros were standard original equipment.

How are you going to address the seat issue? I was almost going to mould off the ones I have from my 1/12 Skyline GTR to see how they went, even though they are a slightly different shape, with the right colours and some carbon decal I reckon thay would look ok.

Keep us posted.
chola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 12:50 AM   #25
mikemechanic
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chola
Hi,

Can't wait to see this one builtup! I am doing the same thing.

A word on th Scaledetails kit, probably 50% of it is usable, the rest is just too out of proportion to work (eg: the front mesh is too small).

However, the parts are very nicely done, and depending on how much you get the set for (check out Ebay), could be worth it just for the bits you can use.

The pics of the model look like the rear wheels are a little too far forward, maybe need to address this. Also, see if you can get your hands on a set of the Protar F40 wheels and tires, much much better (the rear ones at least look like they come off an F40) - I wouldn't buy a whole Protar kit to get them though, it is terrible! I looks like Revell have used the same tires from their Testarossa in the F40 kit. Look at the branding on the sideswall of the tires, to the best of my knowledge Pirelli P-Zeros were standard original equipment.

How are you going to address the seat issue? I was almost going to mould off the ones I have from my 1/12 Skyline GTR to see how they went, even though they are a slightly different shape, with the right colours and some carbon decal I reckon thay would look ok.

Keep us posted.
I am in the early stages of planning out the build. Talked to the fellow that runs scaledetails and he said I could buy the sheet and if I was not happy with it I could return it. But having said that, have you read Gio photoetching tutorial?? Might put that to good use here.

Yeah the rear wheels are too far forward, they are Goodyear Eagle GT's typical Revellogram fare. They must not have a license with Pirelli. I'm not sure I'm going to find the Protar ones anywhere. Looking into some R/C stuff to see if anything resembles OZ Racing wheels.

The seats, well I haven't got that far yet. The kit ones are awful. I'm sure they could be scratchbuilt, just need to look at some pictures of the real ones.

Mike.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:34 PM   #26
chola
AF Newbie

Hi Mike,

I also looked into the RC wheels for an OZ style, found some that may be suitable (mostly on Ebay), but the spokes always appeared a little too thin.

How are you going for reference material? I actually have a few on the LM style cars showing engine out, framework etc, send me a PM if you are interested and we can work out a way to get them to you (would have over a 100 ref pics of the F40 all up), as well as the service manual on disk.
Have you though about opening the doors and bonnet (hood to you guys)! If you are building a LM style, would be great to incorporate the ducting and radiator parts in this area.

I did see the tut on the photoetching, I think I will definately have a crack at that as well, came out pretty good.
chola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:08 PM   #27
voyageur
AF Enthusiast

You got PM...
voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling