Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CL | Inspire | Saber | TL
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
dhspring
AF Regular

2000TL starting issue

Anyone seen starting issues with the 2000 TL, son's car has trouble starting but it's only intermittent. We thought it was spark plugs and put new in and it started and ran great for a while. Now it's back. Son seems to think it only does this when the gas tank is 1/4 full or less. Fuel pump? Anyone seen anything remotely similar to this? Thanks!
dhspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #2
BullShifter
AF Moderator

Re: 2000TL starting issue

I would lean towards a bad main relay or ignition switch.
BullShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
dhspring
AF Regular

thanks Bullshifter, good handle. I can believe it's some sort of electrical problem but the car turns over and will actually run on a couple cylinders like there isn't enough gas getting to the engine so I'm not sure what electrical component, I don't see how it could be the ingition switch. Some sort of fuel pump relay I can believe. We've had it in the shop and they concluded it was either plugs or coils but couldn't tell which. After I put plugs in it ran perfectly and that was about a year ago +/-. Another culprit could be a fuel pressure regulator, but those are not stocked in most parts stores. The Autozone guy said he's never sold one for that car. Could always be a first, so who knows. Thanks again.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
BullShifter
AF Moderator

Don't trust what the Auto Zone guy says. We've done fuel pressure regs on Accords but never a TL. If it starts and dies out it sounds more like the main relay which is in total control of the fuel system. It's located under the dash driver side above the hood release. If it's working normal you should hear one click when the key is turned on and then another click shortly after. If you don't here two clicks the car isn't going to start. Main relays usually act up in warmer weather, like when the car gets hot inside. If you let it air out the car will start, but that's not always the case.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:27 AM   #5
dhspring
AF Regular

Thanks Bullshifter, I will check it out. Oddly enough, my son said the car is running fine, he concluded when the car's gas tank was 1/2 full or more it ran fine. Since the boy is 23 and not real car saavy, I'm wondering if he ran low or learly out of gas and mistook it for a car problem after sucking air, you can't believe some of the stuff the kids today can pull. On the fuel pressure regulator, how would you check that? And I don't recall there being a Schrader valve to check the fuel pressure as I had my gauge but don't recall being able to check that component last time this happend. I will get it this weekend and see what's up. The Jap cars are pretty reliable, but I can certainly work on GM cars much easier and figure out minor problems like this. Thanks again!
Old 03-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
BullShifter
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhspring View Post
you can't believe some of the stuff the kids today can pull.

Yes I can!