Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Contour
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 10:28 PM   #1
99contoursvt
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 99contoursvt
thinking about a vortech supercharger

from the sounds of what ive read it sounds like its pretty hard to install right b/c of lack of room does anyone have any advice or comments about the situation i would be puting it in my 99 contour svt.
99contoursvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 10:21 PM   #2
beyondloadedSE
AF Ford Contour-Advisor

yeah, its difficult mainly because our engine is so crammed. the 12 hour installation time they quote is a joke. plus there has been problems with the jackshaft splines stripping and oil leaks. not to mention, your only going to be getting ~ 205-210 fwtq after its installed and your making your max hp at redline. get a turbo instead!

"The CEG Nazi"
www.contour.org
1996 Ford Contour SE - Sold
3.0L V6 and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit
364 whp, 410 wtq @ 16 psi and only 4,700 rpms.
1999 Tropic Green SVT Contour - Bone stock and MINT
beyondloadedSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 11:38 AM   #3
99contoursvt
AF Newbie

who makes a turbo for a 99 contour svt?
Old 07-05-2003, 10:47 PM   #4
beyondloadedSE
AF Ford Contour-Advisor

street flight makes a kit for all year duratec contour/cougars. a totally stock svt w/ the addition of the yo-dude catback made 292 fwhp (~345 crank hp) and 275 fwtq with 9 psi.

a 3.0L svt with a mere 5.5psi made 300 fwhp and 261 fwtq. 350 fwhp is easily possible with about 9 psi.

"The CEG Nazi"
www.contour.org
Old 07-06-2003, 09:04 AM   #5
CougarSVT
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to CougarSVT
I can locate a Turbo kit for you. The Streetflight kit is blowing motors. Be carefull what you bolt on.....do the research.

The kit i can sell you is a T28 Garret kit with a FMI (air to air) inline fuel pump, 42lbs injectors, custom chip, Bov, external wastegate. This kit is $4000. The other kit i can get is without a FMI, chip, and has a internal wastegate and no Bov. That kit is $3000.

Dealer for SCT......fine tuning software

T3/T4e, super series, Hybrid, stage III Turbine $650.00+tax
T3/T4e Ball Bearing, Hybrid stage III Turbine $1,050.00 +tax

Turbonetics EVO wastegates...$200.00!!!
Turbonetics Raptor Bypass Valves
Turbonetics Turbo kits for Civic's, Preludes, GSR's for $2,999.00!!

Spearco IC's from $225.000

PHONE #: 937-336-1462 ask for Stephen N Brown

********HAPPY HOLIDAYS********
CougarSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 10:54 AM   #6
beyondloadedSE
AF Ford Contour-Advisor

Quote:
Originally posted by CougarSVT
I can locate a Turbo kit for you. The Streetflight kit is blowing motors. Be carefull what you bolt on.....do the research.
Perhaps if you did your research, youll find that its not the street flight kit at all, but the weakness of the rings of the pistons, especially the 1999 model. Both of the engines that have had ringlands go were not running massive amounts of boost, only the stock 6.5psi. In fact, even a 99 3.0L duratec had a ringland go with about 6 psi and an svt with a vortech supercharger on his 99 3.0L had a ringland let go... So you see its not the kit thats causing problems, its Fords quality parts. On a good note, the 2000 svt street flight test vehicle now has over 600 dynos on his car, some with as much as 11.5psi and its still holding together nicely. Detonation was not a factor of 99 motors, its cylinder pressure. Youll run into the same problems regardless of the kit. But what do I know, i havent done my research.

"The CEG Nazi"
www.contour.org

Last edited by beyondloadedSE; 07-06-2003 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:51 PM   #7
CougarSVT
AF Enthusiast

Ummmm...not what happend to James' car. The Ford rings are fine...whomever told you they were not is wrong.

POINT ONE: Wrong turbo size (T25) should be(T28)
POINT TWO: Wrong injector size (27lbs) should be (42lbs)
POINT THREE: Inline fuel pump???? MUST HAVE ONE..period
POINT FOUR: No FMI.....still havnt figured out why they couldnt mount it in front.
Ask them if they have figured out the crutch....bet they have not

This kit WILL blow motors if the operator runs his car at the track....plain and simple the car will detonate with the lack of fuel and PROPER chip tuning.

Old 07-06-2003, 06:11 PM   #8
beyondloadedSE
AF Ford Contour-Advisor

Quote:

POINT ONE: Wrong turbo size (T25) should be(T28)

Street Flight has been using a Garrett T-28 dual ball bearing turbo this whole time! Where have u been! A T3/T4 is a option for us 3.0L guys.

Quote:
POINT TWO: Wrong injector size (27lbs) should be (42lbs)
Street Flight supplys 24lb injectors which is more than enough for 300 fwhp. Im running 42lb injectors because im shooting for 380 fwhp and those 42lb would be at 80% duty cycle at that hp. 42lb injectors for your setup is COMPLETE overkill!

Quote:
POINT THREE: Inline fuel pump???? MUST HAVE ONE..period
Stock fuel pump is good for up to 300hp. why upgrade?

Quote:
POINT FOUR: No FMI.....still havnt figured out why they couldnt mount it in front.
Ask them if they have figured out the crutch....bet they have not
Street Flight provides a Spearco Water/Air intercooler, water resovior, pump, and all neccessary plumbing. On a 3.0L turbo, its proved to have an 80% efficiency.

Quote:
This kit WILL blow motors if the operator runs his car at the track....plain and simple the car will detonate with the lack of fuel and PROPER chip tuning.
No Street Flight cars have gone to the track and blown their engines. A few timeslips of those that have gone.

99 SVT

2nd run
ET 14.021
@103.48 mph
60' 2.388
330' 6.211
1/8 9.239 @ 80.81 mph
1000' 11.843

1st run (lost slip)
ET 14.03
@100.00 mph
60' 2.21

2000 SVT

Run 1
R/T .788
60' 2.396
1/8 9.210
mph 80.03
1/4 13.982
mph 101.77

Run 2
R/T .487
60' 2.373
1/8 9.277
mph 79.72
1/4 14.032
mph 104.22

2000 SVT

r/t .471 whoops!
60' 2.238
330 5.970
1/8 9.012
mph 80.99
1000 11.632
1/4 13.833
mph 102.82

99 3.0L SVT

13.96 @ 104.2 MPH R/T = 0.9 secs ** Best ET
14.04 @ 104.9 MPH R/T = 1.1 secs
14.11 @ 104.91 MPH R/T = 0.7 secs ** Best trap speed, best R/T

IF anything is going to let go at the track, its the drivetrain. I cant believe you talk out of your ass like this! Are you actually there at Street Flight while they are making a chip? I provide solid facts, while all you do is give opinion about how Street Flight sucks because "they will detonate to improper fuel management" and "it blows up engines" How come there has been no signs of pin holes on the piston crown, eroded piston crown or blown head gaskets? Simple, there hasnt been any detonation! Sure if they run insane amounts of boost or improper octane, but with 6.5psi, im pretty hard pressed. Once again, its cylinder pressure. NOT detonation.

This is a 3.0L contour piston as a result of detonation.

3.0L piston w/ broken ring

See the difference?

"The CEG Nazi"
www.contour.org
Old 07-06-2003, 07:56 PM   #9
99contoursvt
AF Newbie

well i decided on the vortech supercharger i found someone that has one in his svt and he has it set up quit well , i just got to buy along with it an intercooler, and a cold air intake.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:11 PM   #10
CougarSVT
AF Enthusiast

Why the water to air? Do we have a overheating problem....no and thats fact, but i guess we have the need to blow an extra $1000 on something we really dont need at 6-8 psi...fact. Why upgrade the fuel pump? Lets see...numerious people on Neco have replaced the less than effecient fuel pump.....thats fact. Those pumps are NOT something you should rely on...and extra $175 could solve that problem. If you get out your calculator you should be able to figure out what size injector you should be using......42lbs is NOT overkill. Give me a minute and i'll type up how to calculate to find out what injector size you need for our setup.

I've been following the making of this kit and learnd alot when it comes to making a good turbo kit. Im not really talking out my rear here.

Old 07-07-2003, 09:37 PM   #11
beyondloadedSE
AF Ford Contour-Advisor

Quote:
Why the water to air? Do we have a overheating problem....no and thats fact, but i guess we have the need to blow an extra $1000 on something we really dont need at 6-8 psi...fact. Why upgrade the fuel pump? Lets see...numerious people on Neco have replaced the less than effecient fuel pump.....thats fact. Those pumps are NOT something you should rely on...and extra $175 could solve that problem. If you get out your calculator you should be able to figure out what size injector you should be using......42lbs is NOT overkill. Give me a minute and i'll type up how to calculate to find out what injector size you need for our setup.

will the engine overheat? NO. will a turbo kit produce a lot of heat compared to a sc. YES. On 6 psi with the street flight kit, the turbo before the intercooler was producing an ambient temp of 191.6F. After the air passed through the intercooler, it dropped to 109F. These numbers were without ice. An intercooler is something that should be used regardless of how much boost is ran. Not only will it give cooler air, but it will help prevent detonation, and the prolong the longitivity of the engine. Can u please type in the math to show me the calculation to figure out your injectors size. What fwhp are u shooting for?

"The CEG Nazi"
www.contour.org
Old 07-09-2003, 10:32 AM   #12
CougarSVT
AF Enthusiast

I agree that you should have an intercooler...but really at 6 psi you can do without.

I emailed those pics of the pistons to a turbo shop(Itsturbo) and their remark was "obvious lack of fuel and detonation". Again, this is what the shop said not me. They also back up that Fords rings are very well made, Itsturbo deals with mainly Fords so i'd hope they would know what they are talking about.

Oh...on the turbo size...oops. Sorry, i could have swore someone told us that the size was T25. Wait a minute...when i called (StreetFlight) they gave me the number to that certain Turbo they use and it came back that it was a Nissan replacement turbo. Correct me if im wrong but the size for the Nissan's is T25(300Z).

SORRY FOR THE THREAD JACKING

Last edited by CougarSVT; 07-09-2003 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:08 PM   #13
(thereal)warmonger
AF Newbie

Why are you talking our ur asz cougarSVT?

Dude! Give me a f'in break!

You are bashing a kit that produces real power! You're talking smack about a kit blowing motors and you can't even claim that your kit is blowing air into your own motor yet!

I just had to post here to let you know you need to lay off the weed man. You're talking smack about stuff you obviously don't understand.

I happen to be running 80% streetflight turbo parts with about 20% custom parts and I'm doing just fine thank you.

I put down 300HP at the f'in wheels every f'in day on 91 octane with a turbocharged T3/T4 99 contour SVT!
I use a water to air intercooler because its the only thing that fits without cutting the contours stock parts up into pieces. I like the fact that my car looks stock but has more power to the wheels than your average corevette! I've got more than 300 to the wheels at only 5.75 psi, but I'll just quote what I have actual dyno proof to back up.

Show me your proof while you're at it????????????????

Also, show me a "cougarSVT" while you're at it too?????????????

I thought not, 'no' on both accounts I take it.

Let me tell you something. You and your bros may end up making a decent kit. You may even market it at the price you claim. Cool. However, I'm rolling NOW with a proven company and a proven kit and I like where I'm at.

I'd love to race you kit for kit. Where are you by the way??
Oh yes, I remember....still in the shop looking for ways to mount your FMI. Have fun joker.

warmonger
(thereal)warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 09:18 PM   #14
(thereal)warmonger
AF Newbie

Quote:

I've been following the making of this kit and learnd alot when it comes to making a good turbo kit. Im not really talking out my rear here.
Some things I forgot.

I am running my stock fuel pump with this 300 wHP setup. Where in the hell do you come off thinking you need a bigger pump? I'm was able to run 11:1 with the stock pump at 6700 rpm with 300HP. Why would I need a bigger pump when it was too rich? I shoot for 12.5:1 and I still have plenty of room for that.

As far as injectors, what size would you guess that I am running AND nowhere near to maxing out????
36# injectors. I calculate that at 9 psi and 7000 rpm I would need to go a little bit larger, HOWEVER, you forget that if you raise the fuel pressure your injectors flow more fuel.
The CSVT runs 45psi at idle, and 55psi WOT. Add to that the boost pressure increase of 6psi and you're already at 60psi fuel pressure. That itself makes the F'in car run rich!
Why do you need 42# injectors again?
Oh yes, the bling-bling reason....yes, thats a good point....better to make people pay more for uneeded 42# injectors so they can brag to people that they run bigger injectors on a measly 6cyl cougar then a 5L supercharged mustang needs at 500 RWHP!!

So how are those 42's working for you? Rich??
Oh, I forget, your sh|ts still working on the FMI.

warmonger
(thereal)warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Contour