Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Mustang Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
65mustanggal
AF Newbie

65 mustang convertible-did i burn the engine?

Greetings! First time user, hope to get some thoughts before I tow my car into the shop! Battery was dead, got a new one. Car won't start!! I hear the click of starter and nothing else. I have had the car for 9 years, I always check oil and transmission fluid because it does leak and i only use the car about once every 2-3 months.And my battery typically goes out. Last time it started and went just fine. I put it in the garage, turned it off. Turned it back on and it was running then it just stopped. My heart sank....so what should I expect to be checked first when I take it in to an auto mechanic? 65mustanggal
65mustanggal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Mohave
AF Newbie

Re: 65 mustang convertible-did i burn the engine?

Your post is a little confusing and I am assuming the car ran fine and just died the last time you used it, but that it died and would not start. Now you are trying to get it running again and the starter just clicks.

Were you hearing the starter click or the starter relay? The first thing I would check would be the relay on the side of the fender as it can click. I would short across the relay to see if the starter cranks the engine. I would also start there to trace voltage at the two threaded posts on the relay. Check to make sure it is working correctly from a wiring diagram.

i would also check all connections between the battery and the starter for resistance and clean them. I would also check the ground straps for their ability to conduct electricty.
Mohave is offline   Reply With Quote