Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
*lou*dog*
AF Newbie

Rear Dash Cover on 1998 Olds Achieva

I am trying to R&R my rear 6x9's behind my back seats in my 1998 Olds Achieva. The rear dash cover or whatever it is on my car is not coming off. I already pushed the 4 pins in on the bottom underneath it, but what do i do now to remove it
*lou*dog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Re: Rear Dash Cover on 1998 Olds Achieva

Welcome to AF.

I'm not real familiar with the Achieva, but I think we can figure it out.

You will probly need to remove the side pillar covers and the top of the back seat may need removed to acess some more retainer clips or screws.

You want to remove the whole thing, or just the speakers?
Because you should be able to get the grills off without removing the back dash panel.
Migth take some prying around the factory grills to get them up. I know they do have plastic clips built onto the grill check underneath for those and see if that'll get'em out.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
jcsoup
AF Newbie

*lou*dog*,
Sounds like the 1998 Oldsmobile Achieva rear deck is similar to the 1997 achieva rear deck. I have the 4 plastic expanding pins in on the bottom underneath already pushed up also. There appears to be a bolt assembly on both the outside almost extreme edges of the rear deck. These bolts are past the trunk lid. I am not sure what nut (nut appears to be plastic and over an inch diameter).
I removed the side pillar covers and nothing there to help. The rear seats fold down, which gives great access to this area. I hope the top of the back seat doesn’t need removed.
There are no factory grills to remove. Just the rear deck. I may cut the back dash panel and use the grills from new speakers. Not quite a factory look, but probably will sound much better with the speakers being more open and not covered with rear deck cloth.
Thanks,
Jcsoup
jcsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:11 PM   #4
jcsoup
AF Newbie

*lou*dog*,
We took the rear deck out with a little persuasion. The 1st time is harder than further removals.
The 4 plastic retainers are what keeps it tight. Once you pop them, like you said you did; you can pry the front edge of the rear deck (by the top of the rear seats).

You won't have to remove the seats, just fold them down if you want to.

Do not remove the side pillar covers. they are a bugger to put back. They are not in the way anyhow.

We put a pretty good pair of 6x9 alpines , but now need to figure out how to enclose these 6x9s.

good luck
jcsoup
jcsoup is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva