Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #31
devildog_usmc
AF Newbie

Re: Should I buy a used Astro van or avoid it?

I used to own a 1991 Astro and 1996 Safari:

The 1991 Astro was a beast, never had and issue with it. I just did regular maintenance on it, like engine oil, transmission oil and tune ups. Had this van for 3 years and regret selling it.

The 1996 Safari gave some problems, one the transmission and fuel pump. Took it to the shop fix it after that running like a champ. I believe these problems are common in these vans, however I just love these trucks. They offer lots of room and is perfect for the family. Here in Japan they are really popular, yes Japanese people love Astros/Safari vans!. I'm looking forward to buy another Astro/Safari ones I get station back to the states.

Bottom line get one!
devildog_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #32
AstroEXT
AF Newbie

I have a 94 Astro EXT Tiara conversion, aside from the motorized back seat not working, the radio being dead, a leaky windshield, and needing a driver side brake caliper all is well on old betsy, she does good for being near 18 years old, aside from the requisite maintenance i havent had any major problems out of my astro, would recommend one for anyone in need of a good solid dependable vehicle, Also the 350 fits in the van, so if i have any engine trouble, ill just buy a surplus 350 with 700R4 to back it and a new positrac rear axle along with subframe connectors. Should really beef it up, but i guess the complainers and naysayers didnt remember this was a chevy product, and umpteen million parts laying around in good condition with lots of life left
AstroEXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:00 PM   #33
mick7
AF Newbie

7 fuel pumps,2 transmissions, 5 distributors, 2 water pumps, 5 maf sensors, 6 alternators, 4 ignition modules, 3 coils. all that by 170,000 miles.

gm has reached its zenith with the astros engineering. probably a sienna or honda would be a wiser investment. the astro is a rolling monument (usually behind a tow truck) to gm's abilities in advertising.....certainly not in engineering
mick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #34
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

"the astro is a rolling monument (usually behind a tow truck) to gm's abilities in advertising.....certainly not in engineering".
Ha,ha... I like that one.
I owned a '95 Astro, Explorer conversion back in the day. After 195k miles I too had some probs with it but all in all it was a pretty good van.
About the most major probs were an A/C clutch bearing failure, on a long family trip to D.C. , a bulkhead connector wiring short that shut everything down...drove me nuts for a coupla days and 2 fuel tank pumps. They always fail when the tank is full. The first pump was an Airtex. I deserved that one. Always used an OEM after that and always replaced the guage sender also.
A ladder framed dinosaur with a typical GM rear end that was prone to bearing wear,noise,leaks at about 100k. The rears were pricey depending on what spring set up it had. Single or multi leaf. And 11 grease fittings on the front end.
DeltaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:20 PM   #35
harryevan
AF Newbie

Yeah an old thread, but I had a 2000 AWD Astro and the engine died after 220K, but I bought a 2005 with 85K from a USFS auction and it's even better. If you need a small van that's actually a truck and you can either afford the maintenance or do it yourself, I don't think there's a better or newer option out there. It appears that everything else out there right now is either a unibody mini-van (large car) or a full-size van. If GM (or anyone else) would start building them again, I'd buy one. If not, I'd buy another Astro or Safari.

They should start making these again, probably the only reason I'd buy a new vehicle.
harryevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:25 PM   #36
satanlucifer
AF Newbie

i bought mine used with 14k on it, and put another 200k on it, and am still driving it.
Not more needs to be said than that.
satanlucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:48 AM   #37
onyxtellancer
AF Newbie

While today's minivans offer levels of comfort and performance on par with sedans, the Chevrolet Astro was a minivan from a different era. Born in the mid-1980s when full-size Chevy vans were still in style, the Astro modeled the looks of its bigger brothers. It also shared their tough body-on-frame construction and rear-wheel-drive layout. Compared to front-wheel-drive, car-based minivans, the Chevy Astro was a true workhorse with considerable towing and hauling capabilities.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:00 AM   #38
mikep1355
AF Newbie

I have owned 2 GMC safari vans. Both for over 10 years each and 100,000 miles. If they were still made, I'd buy another. Nothing else out there is as comfortable with so much carrying versatility. 5 people and luggage skiing , even a windsurfer inside with the back captains chairs giving a long aisle !! Yes, it sucks gas and doesn't corner but I disagree with the statements about handling in snow and ice , its wide and heavy and I've driven to Tahoe in blizzards and passed Ford explorers in the ditch Great visibility and comfort is important. Sure they had issues, front idler arms, fuel pump ( change the fuel filter regularly to avoid this) , brakes , spark plugs tricky , radiator, tires wearing unevenly , shocks, radiator sprung a leak, electric window motor (easy to replace yourself)... certainly don't last forever , but the cost of these is nothing compared to what you would pay on a more expensive vehicle. Not perfect, but I think they are a good deal. Whats the alternative ?
mikep1355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #39
grlbud
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Should I buy a used Astro van or avoid it?

We bought ours in 1997 2 whl dr. with 70k , its a 1994 CL with 160,000 miles. We have used it like a truck ~ I love the van. I have replaced the brakes, minor maintenance, the paint has come off, in 2004 I bought a new Grand Cherokee parked the van drove that for 2 years the transmission began to clunk I was lucky someone hit GC while I was in the house and totaled it! I went to the Van and it started like an old friend. Right now it has a draw off the battery, thinking it might be the starter, we'll see. 2 door locks don't work, the passenger window opens half way, the horn doesn't work. The steering is a little sloppy and I am sure it needs new shocks. Since it has OD I use that only on Highways Always use D in town or gaining speed. Its too bad Chevy quit making them! Mine is reliable worth fixing!
grlbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:04 PM   #40
Machinski
AF Newbie

I had a '92 Astrovan that developed a knock at 160,000 miles so I traded it in for a new '98 Astrovan. At the time I decided to take better care of the new one so it wouldn't wear out so fast. So, I have done all the recommended maintenance on time. Besides commuting to work and family vacations, I have hauled engines in the back and pulled all sorts of trailers and campers. Over the years I have replaced or repaired the driver's door panel (arm rest wore out), fuel injection, cat converter, and air conditioner. I also cracked an axel once driving off road to our camping spot in Montana while loaded to the gills with camping equipment and a boat tied on the roof. But I got that fixed, too.

With each repair I wondered if it was worth it to spend the money--then I did--and got another hundred thousand miles or so out of her. Now, my '98 has 364,000 miles on the odometer. The original engine still runs fine, the original trans seems strong and it just paossed the California smog test. But the darn air conditioner quit working again. Should I upgrade to an '04 or '05 Astrovan or just fix the A/C and go for 400,000 miles? Thanks very much.
Machinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:53 PM   #41
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

I just picked up a second 2000 Astro AWD back in July. It had just ticked over 100K on the odometer and runs well. After the requisite 100K maintenance items it is even better. The other 2000 Astro AWD (identical color, options, seating, etc.) has over 200K and is needing an intake gasket set. I couldn't pass up a pristine clean clone as a backup.

If you can find a very clean '04 or '05 it would be worth considering. All the weak points have been listed above, as well as the strengths.

Since you have so many miles on your '98 you already know all the ins and outs. Expect a transmission and engine overhaul within another 100K. If you are up for that, keep driving. A newer replacement will likely have issues surface as well. The AC failure may be the typical belly O-ring seal on the compressor - It's a common leakage point.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:50 AM   #42
2001Astronaut
AF Newbie

I dredged up this old post in a search for likely repairs to an aging Astro. I have a 2001 RWD passenger van with 140,000 miles. Engine and transmission are good. A little rusty as I live up north but not too bad. Radiator has a small leak where plastic meets metal. i'm about to replace rad plus hoses and heater valve, and as long as I'm at it thinking heater core, too. I recently replaced the serpentine belt. Any other thoughts of things to replace while I have the radiator out? It seems like this should be worth some fixing, as many members have gone 200K miles. Would also be glad to hear from those of you who previously posted; how did your repairs turn out?
2001Astronaut is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies