Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > RX-8
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 12:38 AM   #1
ozbot87
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to ozbot87 Send a message via AIM to ozbot87
Exclamation RX-8 reliability test

Hello there, fellow Mazdaers! I just joined this site in hoping of obtaining reliability information of the fantastic RX-8 (it's fantastic because I test-drove it for the first time yesterday and I LOVED IT!).

Seeing as the RX-8 is too new to predict reliability information, I want to run this test on reliability on the RX-8.

Between now and May 2004, I want all the owners of the RX-8 to post reports on how their vehicle is doing. If you have any significant problems, post them here. If you put the car through hell and it lived though it, post it here. If you have any friends or family or co-workers or anybody who has an RX-8, refer them to this post and tell the group about. I want to know!

The reason I'm doing this is because I really want to prove that the RX-8 has very good reliability and can convince me and any other skeptic that the RX-8 is a rock solid driving machine.

If I see good news mostly in this post, then there is a very good possibility that I will purchase the RX-8. If you have any questions about this post, feel free to post a reply or e-mail me!
ozbot87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 11:25 PM   #2
randoff
AF Newbie

Re: RX-8 reliability test

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbot87
Hello there, fellow Mazdaers! I just joined this site in hoping of obtaining reliability information of the fantastic RX-8 (it's fantastic because I test-drove it for the first time yesterday and I LOVED IT!).

Seeing as the RX-8 is too new to predict reliability information, I want to run this test on reliability on the RX-8.

Between now and May 2004, I want all the owners of the RX-8 to post reports on how their vehicle is doing. If you have any significant problems, post them here. If you put the car through hell and it lived though it, post it here. If you have any friends or family or co-workers or anybody who has an RX-8, refer them to this post and tell the group about. I want to know!

The reason I'm doing this is because I really want to prove that the RX-8 has very good reliability and can convince me and any other skeptic that the RX-8 is a rock solid driving machine.

If I see good news mostly in this post, then there is a very good possibility that I will purchase the RX-8. If you have any questions about this post, feel free to post a reply or e-mail me!
I've put 3100 miles on my RX-8 MT with GT package. I've had NO problems mechanically. If you get one...carry a quart of oil in your trunck. This engine uses a little oil. And the mileage I get so far SUCKS! I hear that it gets better when the rotary engine "breaks" in. I'm getting 15 mpg to 18 mpg overall now. But like I said this car feels solid as a rock so far. No sqeaks and no rattles. I drive fast and I drive normal and it is holding up WELL! I've read Consumer Reports 2004 new car issue and they gave it praises. Also a couple of other magazines called it "fun to drive and great for a new sports car driver"...hope this helps?
randoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 02:56 AM   #3
ikOnone
AF Enthusiast

i came to this section trying to get info on this too, not looking to buy one, just curious. i have heard that the 7's engines generally die a lot faster than conventional piston engines (not many lasting past 100k) but i thought that the8's would probably fix this downfall or at least go in the right direction. from what i have seen here it is just too early to tell (i would hope that any car runs strong with 3100 miles ) but i have high hopes. i also just found out that they are not turbocharged anymore, WTF? that sucks. well they are still very cool cars and handeling monsters from what i hear. i hope people get out there and drive them and let us know
ikOnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 09:53 AM   #4
joyridevr6
AF Newbie

I just bought my RX8 on Tuesday. My wife drove it home and when I started it the next day the check engine light was illuminated. The car has been at the dealership since Thursday and the mechanic told me that they had not yet seen the specific code my car gave before. Consequently, they have been working with people from California via fax and phone. The procedure that was faxed, I was told, involes about 9 steps and after each step they must call California to relay their results and decide upon the next course of action. The problem is electrical they said and should in no way have damaged the engine. When I have more specific information I will be sure to post it as I am interested if anyone else has had a similar problem.
joyridevr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 12:10 PM   #5
bradcfi
AF Newbie

I drove my RX8 M/T GT to 600 miles as calmly and responsibly as possible. Until yesterday, I drove it from Kansas City 300 miles to middle Missouri. I took state highway 135 to the lake and it was a blast. I stayed above 7000 RPM for 15 minutes on a tight hilly road. This car is fantastic. 900 miles now and no problems inside or out. I did get a transient engine light but it went away. My fuel mileage is the the same as it was stated by "randoff" (earlier post). More later.
bradcfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
randomcars
AF Newbie

From what I have heard, the Rx-8 will get horrible mileage. Somewhere between 15-17 mpg. Some have quite a bit of trouble with the engine. Like the last post says, carry a bottle of oil in your trunk. The rotary engine loves oil. Also, I think it is wise to let the engine run at idle for a few minutes when starting up and before shutting the engine off. I highly suggest that if you buy a Rx-8, make sure the dealership is a good one. If you get a bunch of slackers, you might regret your purchase. If not make sure there is a good shop in town that has experience with rotary engines. Having said that, it is a great car that offers something different to the world. It just is a little touchy, that's all.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > RX-8