Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > RX-7
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
Duke84/85
AF Newbie

My intro and Problem thread. possibly blown 84 GSL-SE?

Hello everyone, my i am new here simply because of a recent problem with my new rx7. I just bought a 84 gsl-se from a local dealership for cheap. It smoked a little apon startup at first and the throwout bearing made some noise but it was a really clean car and felt like it ran strong. well today (2 days later) i was driving the 7 and when i shifted into second there was a slight pop and my motor lost all power, idled poorly, dies, and sometimes makes a knockish noise. I am new to the rotary motor and dont know much about them i am more into VW rabbits. The car never got hot or anything as i know that is bad for rotary motor health. i figure i possibly blew a apex seal. let me know what you guys think. thanks.

Duke84/85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
gtmud
AF Enthusiast

Re: My intro and Problem thread. possibly blown 84 GSL-SE?

Very nice car! I have an 84 with that same engine, would you be interested in buying it. Need to move and it needs a good home. All works, engine is strong, new oil cooler, water pump and T-stat. needs a paint job and a little body work to the D/S front corner.
Ken
gtmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Duke84/85
AF Newbie

yea i might be interested in it, how much are you asking? i would imagine shipping would be pretty expensive as well
Duke84/85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
20bRx4
AF Newbie

Does the car smoke on start up or when it is driving/idling? Its hard to say if you have blown a seal or dropped a rotar as more info is needed. I would have recommend getting a compression test done before you purchased the car, if you did what were the results? How many miles has the engine done? Has it been rebuilt? With the car idling and dying does applying the throttle help solve this? Sounds like it is running on 1 rotor, to determine which one it is you can remove the leads while it is running. (Care is required when doing this) compression testing the engine will be your best bet and safer. But check your plugs if has been sitting for a while (especially on a car lot) the plugs can get fouled up, replacing these could slovenly the problem depending on the condition of them. Also check the distributor and the coils to see if they are firing. I have come across lots of rxs with these problems thinking they dropped a seal. Best to eliminate the basic stuff first before you buy a new engine. Very nice rx7 to, some old school Simmons rims would set it off nicely. Good luck and welcome to the world of rotaries!
20bRx4 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > RX-7