Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
clipse_thumper
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to clipse_thumper
clutch problem. please help.

okay, I have a 5spd 2001 325CI with 120k miles. for about a month i've noticed that when I step on the gas all the way, my rpm's fly then come back down to normal. well last week, the rpm's started bouncing, when I steped on it, it would hit 6500 rpm's then drop down to normal then go back to 6500 rpm's and so on but only if I floored it. finally on my way to work the other day I was in 5th gear the whole way till I had to exit and I smelled a burning smell. I heard like a rumbling sound, I took it out of fifth but I couldn't get it into any other gears. so I cruised to the red light, turned the car off, put it in 2nd gear and turned it on in 2nd and drove the rest of the way. I only had a block from my highway exit. I have no clue what the problem is. if its the clutch I thought I wouldn't be able to drive it at all. I checked the fluid and it was normal. but I smelled that burnt smell for a few hours. any idea's? if it is the clutch, how much do you think for replacement through a mechanic?. thank you, anything will help

clipse_thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:58 PM   #2
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af
Re: clutch problem. please help.

Clutch is gone. You'll need a new one. Replacement will cost about $800 or more, unless you do it yourself.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:38 PM   #3
clipse_thumper
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to clipse_thumper

how hard is it to replace yourself? if it ain't to hard, where can I get a step by step on how to replace it?

clipse_thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
moon03
AF Newbie

the clutch set is about $200 and some kits come with the alignment tool. job is not all that difficult if you have done clutch replacements before or replaced an engine or transmission. I use a Bentley Shop repair manual for the procedures, or a Haynes manual. (I have both and plenty of time)

also check local transmission shops preferrably one with 4 or more bays as they are more likely to have done BMW clutches before and can get it done faster. just make sure they use quality parts.

you may want to think about the timing belt replacement at the same time if your doing the job yourself and it hasn't been done reciently.
moon03 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series