Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 12:41 AM   #16
robrex
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to robrex
Re: WIP: Yamaha R1 Tuner

Joel,
I hadn't spotted this thread before! It's looking very good!

robrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:11 AM   #17
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for your compliments guys. I hope to be able to show you some painted parts soon as well but so far I've only been dry fitting and sanding...
I'll be back soon.
Thanks again
Joel
Old 06-05-2006, 10:34 AM   #18
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

(flame mode) I don't really like this new motorbike section as this is primarily an automotive forum. We've seen an increase in bikes lately and I think that number will decrease again as not that many people will look at our projects. But please, proove me wrong. (/flame mode)

Here's the latest updates on my R1:

I painted the R1 rims Tamiya TS-14 Black and let them cure. I then masked off all of the outer parts and left only the center and spokes to be painted with Alclad II pale gold. This is how they looked masked off

and this is how it turned out when the masking tape was removed

Engine's starting to come together but the airbox is getting me a headache. Hopefully I can show some engine pics later this week.

Best regards
Joel
Old 06-05-2006, 10:36 AM   #19
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

With the rims painted I'm left with the deciscion on wich set of tires to put on them. I have to choose between R1, Ducati 916 or a set of Yoshimura Hayabusa ones I have stucked away. Will take some pictures and show you the differences.
/joel
Old 06-05-2006, 12:09 PM   #20
BugZilla
Authorized Vendor

Hey Joel,

Rims are looking outstanding, I really like the color combination and the masking job is perfect.

On your other comment, I had mixed feelings when I first saw it as well, but after looking through the threads before and saying several times "Wow, I never saw that one", I kind of changed my mind. Yes, I agree that bikes are not a prominent force on the forum, but why should I have to search ( not that that function is the greatest, nor have I ever found exactly what I was looking for ) through a sea for cars for a bike thread. Most of the other forums I visit ( predominantly auto ) are broken down into different groups and I have gotten used to it, so why not here ? I like all forms of modeling, but when I want to look at bikes, I don't want to fart around looking at 35 Skylines in the process.

I am glad to see a jump in the bike modeling world and I hope it doesn't decrease. There are new aftermarket products coming out every month, and there have been more new kits offered than there have been in a long time. I have seen the growth in Moto GP over the past few years and this year is the most exciting year I have seen in a long time. I think, nay.... I know, that it will definitely help fuel the modeling future. For example, I just heard that Tamiya will be reissuing the Honda NSR250, the GP Legend decals are the contibuting factor in their desicion. No... they didn't have visions of Yen dancing in their heads, not at all. But, that in turn shed light on 3-4 new decal sets that otherwise would not have been done, because the kit supply was getting low.

I think its a chain effect. One of the modelers on this and other forums was, and still is a fantastic car modeler. He got bitten by the bike bug and in turn, is turning out some of the most fantastic bikes I have seen. Theres you, Roca, Robrex and several others who have brought bike models to a whole new level, so why not give them a spotlight and help others get bitten too.

Well, I just wanted to throw a few pennies in. I hope I didn't miss your point, if I did, forget what I said.

Dave
Old 06-05-2006, 12:42 PM   #21
Roca46
AF Enthusiast

Hi Joel the bike looks very good and the rims too i love those exhaust and the modified brakes.

I'm agree with you guys , i hope to see more motorcycle modelers on this subforum anyhow i'm will be there trying to give my experience and showing my projects.

For sure... i think and i hope that in this new subforum will be more people showing the works.
And well.. i'm thinking to make every year a special model like RS Cube To motivate the people to make motorcycle models.

Best regards and sorry for the little off-topic

PS: Show us more pictures!!
Roca46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:30 AM   #22
slightfan
AF Regular

Looking good Joel those rims looking awsome
Shayne
slightfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:37 AM   #23
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

well, perhaps you're right guys. What I mean is that putting your work on a forum is primarily an ego trip, narrowing the potential number of visitors makes it less thrilling. I've started looking much much more at auto modelling since I joined here as I think I have a lot of techniques to learn. I think it can be the other way around as well but having to enter a sub forum outside your own sphere of interests might lessen the chance of that to happen.
So to sum it up - my flaming basicly comes down to ego factors...

Glad you like the work so far and yes, more pictures are to come during the next couple of days. So stay tuned
/Joel
Old 06-06-2006, 06:04 AM   #24
Roca46
AF Enthusiast

Hi Joel did you use the original rear suspension? can you measure the distance from the seat to the ground?

Like this

http://www.rocascalemotorcycles.com/mu_left.jpg

Thank you!
Old 06-06-2006, 09:43 AM   #25
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Roca: Yes I did but I haven't got the bike put together anymore. Are you in a hurry or can it wait a while?
/Joel
Old 06-06-2006, 09:44 AM   #26
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

I can meassure my Taira Racing version if you like, it has the same setup.
Joel
Old 06-06-2006, 01:58 PM   #27
Roca46
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwideqvist
I can meassure my Taira Racing version if you like, it has the same setup.
Joel
Ah! ok please measure it
Thank you very much and sorry for this little off-topic

Roca
Old 06-07-2006, 07:17 AM   #28
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Roca, the R1 kit meassures 6,0 cm in the frontmost point of the seat and 6,5 cm in the rearmost end. At the point where you put your arrow it is 6,3 mm high.

Now to some updates:

On the tire issue I decided to go with the Ducati tyres as they look most agressive among the three sets I mentioned. They will look like this.

Engine's starting to come together. I decided to paint the block flat black like on the more recent R1:s. Other parts of the engine will are so far painted Alclad II Pale gold and Jet Exhaust. There are of coarse more parts to come, I will do some black and some CF. Parts are just glued in place, they will need a wash.

I finished off the work on the brake discs. They have been a real hazzle but they turned out ok. I didn't get them cleaned up to the degree I wanted them but they started to fall a part so I put the Xacto away... I sanded down all rivets and washers and replaced them with Model Factory Hiro rivets and Scale Motorsport washers. As the rivets has quite a long pin I filed them down on the back with a modelling file.
Here are the front discs:

and here are the rear:

Stopped sanding the cowls and went for the primer a couple of days ago. Today I sprayed the parts that will be Metallic Red with some TS-17 to give them a silver base. I think the Red will look better that way. The tank is left primed to get painted with Metallic grey

Finally for today, the swing has reached its final shape, a lot of work with epoxy putty and Tamiya putty and between those sanding sanding sanding. Now I will prime it and paint it flat black together with the frame.

Hope you like it.
/joel
Old 06-07-2006, 08:01 AM   #29
Roca46
AF Enthusiast

Hi Joel thank you very much!

The R1 looks very good!! The Alclad paints are excellent for paint the engine also i think that the this type of tyres looks excellent for this preparation and great to see that swing arm it is a new look on this bike

I hope to see soon the body painted
Old 06-09-2006, 07:47 AM   #30
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Ok, so it's time for another larger update on my pimping project. Unfortunately it can be the last for a while, at least in this large quantity. i graduated from my education friday and have had this week off and with the wife working I had hell of a lot more building time than I've had in two years.

Now to the goodies:

Engine is slowly comming together. I've painted the carburators with Alclad II Jet Exhaust, masked them off and painted details semi-gloss black and Alclad II Pale Gold. I hotted the thing up by adding some CF to the oil filter and painting the start engine Pale Gold and metallic red. I think especially the red made a stand out once installed.

I went about some CF-ing as well (hmm new word...) As it's a pimped ride, you've got to have CF. Preferably lots... My first thought was actually a full CF bike but that's way too far from my league. I decided to lift some of the parts instead. Here are pictures of one of the side cowlings together with a plate that goes between the top and side cowls. Quite a crappy image...

Next was the head light housing and that was quite fun. Took some time but I think I got more out of it than I invested. All CF parts has been painted with Tamiya Smoke and then Tamiya clear. As the acrylic paint is slow drying I made the mistake to mask off the headlights too quick for the Alclad Pale Gold treatment. This left me with some dull areas on top but I will fix that later.

Last but not least as they will be very visible on the finished project, are the rear view mirrors. These were pretty tricky and I'm not fully satisfied with the result but this is done on the first try.

I also finished off the rear damper set up. It's painted Alclad II Pale Gold and Jet Exhaust (what else??) and the spring is cowling color, Mica Red. I've added some Scale Motorsport Washers.

Last but not least (as I now you guys just want the shiny parts ) I did some progress with the cowlings. I've painted all cowling parts except the tank wit Tamiya (TS-39??) Mica Red, and the tank with Tamiya Metallic Grey. I had an incident with the side/lower cowls so they are lagging a few coats of clear and I haven't taken any pictures of those just yet. So far all cowlings has got Tamiya Primer, followed by 1 mist and 2 wet coats of paint and finally 1 mist and 4 wet coats of Modelers' "Super Clear" (an absolute favourite of mine). I'll think about adding some decals and go for a gentle sand/polish and then finish off with a couple of more clear coats.
I think the Red/Grey combo turned out very well, and I'm so far very pleased with the result. I would like to have myself a dust free area to spray in. Bloody hell those cowls attract lint and dust particles... Well well, here we go.

Bye for now and thanks for looking. I would gladly have some comments from you guys. Is it anything missing so far. Any crazy ideas popping up??

best regards
Joel

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes