Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 11:41 PM   #16
imster
AF Newbie

Re: Honda NSR500 (1984)

A quick little update

After trying to put the decals on the rear cowling I have decided to paint the blue sections rather than carrying on with the decals. The quality of these decals leaves a lot to be desired, and due to the compound curves and angles as soon as you begin working the decals they begin to fold and tear []

On a more positive note I have made some refinements to the rear swingarm, I wrapped the suspension hydraulic line and painted the top of the suspension strut which is more in line of what the 1:1 version looks like

I am busy working on the engine and making a few modifications as well maybe next update will have it all completed.

Sorry about the poor iPhone pics
imster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:22 AM   #17
imster
AF Newbie

Feels like ages since I've posted an update! I've been busy building but I decided to make my life difficult by adding lots of extras and scratchbuilding a few bits too.

So up to now I have redone the cowlings (with blue painted rather than decals), radiator is completed, engine is finally completed as well!

Here is a quick pic of the main part of the cowling (I havent painted the inside yet of the cowling), I shall post a few more of the rest of the cowling parts when I get a chance to take some more photos

Here is the radiator done, I shaped the plastic area that attaches to the frame as on the 1:1 bike it has round bolts like the PE ones I have attached, if you dont modify this part then you will not be able to install the round PE parts. I also added plumbing near the radiator cap, apparently this tube runs up to the front section of the cowling just to the right front of the instrument panel, I wont be displaying this with the cowling on so this tube will hang and look odd lol

And finally the engine is complete! This is one heck of an engine with tonnes of wiring and a fair bit of additional details added. From all my reference pics I have seen the area where the intakes are (where the grill bit is) is different to what Tamiya supplies in the kit, in fact even on the detail pics sheet that comes with the kit it shows a different part to what they supplied. So I decided to scratchbuild the correct part, overall I think it came out ok but it could have been better (as is always the case with me!). In addition to the pipework I also added the reddish lines that are not included with the kit, the white plugs look a little overscale but if I went any smaller I wouldnt have been able to accurately drill them for the pipe work. I achieved the reddish line by using MFH 1/12 tube (brown one) and spraying it with alclad hot metal red and hot metal sepia (roughly 3 red to 1 sepia), I also used the same tube painted semi-gloss black for the spark plugs as they are more to scale that what is supplied by Tamiya.

If anyone knows where I can find tubing like MFH 1/12 tube (brown) in black colour please tell me! Its such a pain having to paint the tube and having to be extra careful not to handle it too much otherwise the paint can flake off. So please if anyone knows then please tell me

So without further delays here are the engine pics

Up until now it has been pretty annoying that I've been doing so much work but nothing is really coming together but now that the engine is complete the build should speed up somewhat, as you can see there are lots of sub assemblies completed so now its just a matter of joining them all up!

So next update should show the engine installed into the frame!
Old 11-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #18
imster
AF Newbie

So today I managed to install the engine with thankfully minimal breakages!!

I also test fitted the rear swingarm to check clearance for the chain and the line length of the brake cable to the rear caliper, all seems ok with both

Close up of the same pic

I am a little gutted that the clutch cable work I did is pretty much hidden away but atleast I have a few pics showing it in all its glory lol!

The "boring" side of this bike

The interesting side of this bike

All lines up perfect so far!

Super close up showing the detail work completed, all Tamiya kit screws will be covered, and the white brake line ties will be fixed up as they are there temporarily at the moment

Next up will be the exhausts, probably the most critical part of this kit as this is the bit which everyone notices, wish me luck on it!
Old 11-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #19
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Beautiful work imster - excellent attention to detail

Nice to see you using Mark's Bike building jig - I have one of these too and they are excellent for holding the bike while it's being worked on - I found I finger things less and have fewer bits falling off or being damaged with my size 13 fingers.

This is as worthy a build as any done by the greats on this forum.

Cheers
John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John18d For This Useful Post:
imster (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #20
imster
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John18d View Post
Beautiful work imster - excellent attention to detail

Nice to see you using Mark's Bike building jig - I have one of these too and they are excellent for holding the bike while it's being worked on - I found I finger things less and have fewer bits falling off or being damaged with my size 13 fingers.

This is as worthy a build as any done by the greats on this forum.

Cheers
John
Thanks very much John!

Yeah the jig was from Mark, in fact Mark is the one I am doing the buddy build with (on another forum)
Old 12-08-2015, 09:23 AM   #21
imster
AF Newbie

Apologies for the lack of updates, I have some family over visiting from the UK so my building time has been somewhat limited.

I managed to complete the exhaust, I am very pleased with how they came out! Overall it was about an hour of painting with various subtle shades to recreate the different metal tints on the 1:1 version, I was erring towards being subtle with it as I didnt want it to look patchy. I decided to also make the side facing out on both exhausts more copper/bronze and the interior darker and with light shades of red, yellow and violet. Before painting I added weld lines near where the exhaust will eventually attach itself to the frame. I also had to add some more plastic to the end where the exhaust silencers meet because when I mocked it all up there were gaps there. Exhaust springs were added after the paint work was done, I chose to do it this way rather than painting after putting them on because I wanted to have them stand out to a certain extent, I also added some tinting to it to take the edge off the silver.

Inner side of the exhaust (the paint on the right hand side one looks chipped, it was actually me testing something and that part will not be seen as it sits at the bottom facing the engine):

Outer side of the exhaust:

Heres a quick photo to show the reference as it may look like I havent really captured how an exhaust should look like and to be honest I have rarely seen a motorcycle exhaust in these colour tones

I'll try to stick up a few pics of how the exhausts look once I have the cans installed and on the frame too as the cans are 90% complete

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by imster; 12-08-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:31 AM   #22
The Sheene Machine
AF Enthusiast

Fantastic work, very clean. Love the extra's on the engine. You've got the exhausts spot on too....
The Sheene Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:29 PM   #23
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

I agree, exhausts look darn good! I think thw whole build is coming along very nicely. A lot of details on this bike that I think look interesting and haven't seen before as I've mostly done newer era bikes.
joelwideqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:58 AM   #24
imster
AF Newbie

Thanks guys

Yes the older engines tend to be more mechanical I guess and more cluttered it all adds to the fun of building them though
Old 12-13-2015, 04:24 AM   #25
puffyrs
AF Regular

great work , looking good.
puffyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:58 AM   #26
imster
AF Newbie

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone!

More progress finally!!

I finished the exhaust cans and attached the exhaust assemblies to the frame.

I also installed the radiator, the fitment on the radiator is pretty poor and in hindsight I should have cut all the various radiator pipes and connected them independently of the engine and the radiator itself. I had a large gap with one of the radiator hoses and I ended up fashioning a small piece of tube plastic to "fill in" the gap between the hose and the radiator

Anyways on with the pictures!

Next up will be the steering damper and front forks assembly, I am getting close to the end on this build and cant wait to finish it!
Old 01-05-2016, 12:09 AM   #27
ChristopheB
AF Enthusiast

Nice progress! The bike looks amazing so far. Keep up the good work.

ChristopheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:07 AM   #28
francois_wizz
AF Newbie

Amazing job!! I love!
francois_wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:28 PM   #29
Macio4ever
AF Enthusiast

Great paint job, clean and great attention to details. I like it very much.

Macio4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #30
John18d
AF Enthusiast

This is really coming along nicely imster

The best bike build to date that you have posted so far
Nicely detailed - are the exhaust cans the plastic Tamiya parts or are those from the Hobby Design kit?

Also I think you nailed the exhaust expansion chambers -

Looking forward to more

Cheers
John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1/12 , 1984 , honda , nsr500 , tamiya
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes