Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 03:44 PM   #1
Universalwheel
AF Newbie

Question '99 Maxima alternator replaced still having issues

So about 2 weeks ago I was driving when my dash battery light and brake light came on at the same time and stayed on. After a quick Google search I assumed it to be the alternator and then most tell-tale alternator signs happened (all the dash lights came on, headlights started dying, radio started dying, then car eventually completely stopped running). It was parked about a mile from my house so I had AAA jump start it and it made it home.
Got a refurb alternator and had a friend install it but I admit that he's not the most trustworthy person so I was nervous about him doing it. Cut to a week later, new alternator is installed but when we start up the car the belt is clearly not on correctly because it starts smoking with burning rubber smell. He re-aligns the belt and it seems to work fine. I drive the car 2 miles away to get dinner and back home, and when I pull into the driveway the dash battery light and brake light come on at the same time again, but just flickering now. My question is do y'all think I got a bad refurb or could a bad installation be causing this? After the friend did it he even left a bolt loose on the belt and it was rattling so I had to tighten that. Does this sound like a loose connection somewhere that can be fixed by a real mechanic? Thanks so much for the help!!
Universalwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:44 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: '99 Maxima alternator replaced still having issues

Could be a bad refurb, or it possibly could end up being the bad alternator took the battery out
Old 09-05-2017, 10:20 PM   #3
Universalwheel
AF Newbie

I replaced the battery as well after the alternator because it was bulging and AutoZone confirmed it was no good. I'm guessing the bad alternator fried the original battery, but now I have a new one
Universalwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:06 AM   #4
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Then I would go with bad refurb.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
alternator , bad , battery , belt , installation
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35