Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Forced Induction Discuss topics relating to turbochargers, superchargers, and nitrous oxide systems.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
03FordCrownVic
AF Newbie

Can somebody explain what type of system this is and it's purpos, as well as price range?

Hello I know little to nothing about cars and well my friend drives a GMC dually Sierra truck with a turbo and exhaust system, and I'm in love with the sound it gives off... Like shortly after starting it a continuous air hiss will come out of the muffler while idling and everytime he pushes the accelerator a loud air spit comes out of the muffler and the continuous air hiss goes away (why is that?) Then the turbo can be heard. I would like to see how much this whole system is so I can install it on my 2003 ford Crown Victoria hes unaware of how much the whole system was as well as where he got it but he said we both would be the only ones at our high school with kick *** sounding cars if I were to install it. Anybody have any idea what system(s) it is and the price range? Thanks!
03FordCrownVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Can somebody explain what type of system this is and it's purpos, as well as price range?

Just google Turbochargers and there is a ton of info, it is a big job to install on a Crown Vic, and you would have limited boost on a stock older engine.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse
Re: Can somebody explain what type of system this is and it's purpos, as well as price range?

Even if you were to install a turbo system on your car it would never sound like your buddies truck. Hes got a diesel motor and the turbo will spin fast enough at idle to make that whistle sound. You wont hear your turbo out the exhaust at all most likely. You will hear the intake sucking in air when you hit boost
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
03FordCrownVic
AF Newbie

True, but when he's idling its not the whistling I hear its just air I hear spraying out, then once he pushes the accelerator a loud air spit blows out and the continuous air spray goes away. (Still don't know what that is and it's purpose)
03FordCrownVic is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction