Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series
Cutlass Series Includes Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Cruiser, Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser, as well as the GM N-Body subforums.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
96cutlass3.4
AF Newbie

Question 96 Cutlass Supreme 3.4L DOHC Idling high and not shifting properly

Hi there, new to the forum. I have a 96 Olds Cutlass Supreme with a 3.4L DOHC V6. recently is started idling high (3000rpm) and then sometimes moves around a bit. I haven't been driving it, but when i've test drove it to check different things.... it's not shifting properly. Just seems to bog down. I removed the throttle body today and the gasket was broken allowing coolant into the airflow part of the TB. (gaskets seem to be hard to find here for this car). I checked the IAC valve and seems to be functioning normally. i also suspected the Throttle Position Sensor, but am unsure if it needs to be calibrated or even needs to be. It appears to have a spring in it as if its self adjusting. I have seen others which are not spring loaded. would the throttle body gasket being broken be causing the main problem here? Also, there doesn't appear to be any other vacuum leaks. The car also seems to be overheating now too, which I am also unsure of why. Thanks in advance to all!!
96cutlass3.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
96cutlass3.4
AF Newbie

96 Cutlass Supreme 3.4L /Monte Carlo Z34 DOHC Idling high and not shifting properly

Today I tested my TPS and it seems to be operating properly. I used a multimeter and the numbers went up nicely when i opened the throttle with just the key on. no jumping around in voltage. Finally got my throttle body gasket and am finishing that up to see if the problem still persists. Could the TPS still be defective even though it tests good? I have a new one, but if i open the package it cannot be returned. New one does not have the spring in it. NOTE: this engine is exact same as 96 Monte Carlo Z34. Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 06-18-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
96cutlass3.4
AF Newbie

Angry Re: 96 Cutlass Supreme 3.4L DOHC Idling high and not shifting properly

so now i've replaced the TPS, done a ECM reset. Its still idling high. i was able to cycle the key on and off a few times and then it would idle right and drive right a couples times till i would come to a stop, then it seemed like it went into 4th gear and bogged right down. then i cycled the key a few times and started and immediately put it in D. Punched the gas, it took off and then when it went to shift the revs just hung there for a few seconds and then shifted into another gear, which one I am not sure. Im getting very frustrated and confused. I just want this car to run again. ALSO, when I unplug the MAF sensor it either bogs down and stalls, or bogs down and then to a default mode then seems to be idling decently. What does this mean? PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
Old 06-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
HarpGuy
AF Newbie

Re: 96 Cutlass Supreme 3.4L DOHC Idling high and not shifting properly

I apologize... I've not read all the postings... I'm just responding to the symptom described in the headline... and I only know a tiny bit about it because it just happened to me on a '90 Ciera SL, to wit:

Same symptoms as described in the headline; and it turned out to be a little s-shaped black rubber tube right up on top of the engine where it can't be missed. I'd have to look at an engine diagrm to see what it attaches to, or what it's called.

All I know is this: When the one on my car got so disintegrated and limp that it no longer had the stiffness to stay attached at one of its ends, it kep popping off, and my symptoms were exactly as described in the headline of the thread-starter's first post. I kept sliding it back onto where it belonged, and it was so wimpy that it kept popping off. It may also have had tiny cracks or holes in it since it was so weak/soft and disintegrating... so even when it was on, it might not have been well sealed.

So I ordered another one... fourteen dollars, as I recall (I had predicted $8). Took a week to get.

I removed the old one, and replaced it with a new one, and end of problem.

If you have such a little black s-shaped little tube (the whole thing, if stretched out, would be maybe 2 to 3 inches), and it appears in place and well seated, check it for softness and maybe tiny little cracks. If it's anything less than very firm (so it will stay in place without any clamps or anything) then it's probably leaking...

...and that was 100% of the problem on my car.

I know I haven't described it like a mechanic would (and if there are any here, please chime in and comment), but I'm just telling you what did it on my '90 Ciera SL.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
96cutlass3.4
AF Newbie

I've never seen a S shaped hose in my engine bay. But i did notice a whistle comign from the intake manifold. So i will be ordering a gasket set hopefully next week. I talked to a mechanic friend and he said that is causing all of my problems. 60 bucks for the gaskets aint too bad.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
Badfish169
AF Newbie

Sounds like you have a vaccum leak IMO

Check all you vaccum lines on your intake manifold.
Badfish169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #7
96cutlass3.4
AF Newbie

All Vacuum lines are good, but where the intake manifold connects to the engine is hissing quite a bit. I am hoping thats the problem. How hard is it to replace these gaskets? I have a fair amount of automotive knowledge. Also the vacuum lines all seem to connect at the throttle body not the intake manifold, they go to various other places but not the intake manifold
Old 06-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
Badfish169
AF Newbie

If it was the intake manifold gasket wouldn't it be leaking though? I'm by no means an expert but i did help my buddy do his 3.4 on his grand am gt.
Badfish169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
96cutlass3.4
AF Newbie

what would be leaking from it? From what I've read, it usually sucks in more air or blows air out causing a noise and a vacuum leak. which, in turn, would cause the high idle and poor shifting

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
body , gasket , idle , intake , throttle
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series