Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > T100
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 11:20 PM   #1
adobero
AF Newbie

T-100 starting problem

Hello, I have a 1994 T-100, 2.7 liter 4 cylinder, standard shift.
No complaints after 14 yrs. of hard use and 343,000 miles, but recently, sometimes (maybe 1 out of every 5 starts), motor cranks and cranks and cranks but won't fire. As if no spark or no gas. After that much mileage I expect a problem or two, but...

Here's the weird part: I can then coast down a hill and let in the clutch, and it starts every time. Or, if no hill available, will start 100 per cent of the time by being pushed in first gear. Now, why would the engine crank normally and not start, but then start easily when pushed in gear, or clutch popped in while going downhill? (by the way, safety no start feature on clutch pedal bypassed yrs. ago to allow starting by pushing)

Makes no sense at all to my mechanic or to me. Am tired of parking at the top of the hill in my driveway every night, please help! Thanks.
adobero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
lexm
AF Newbie

Re: T-100 starting problem

Have U changed your rotor button? this was causing my problem, normally with that high of mileage they will have burned to carbon dust. also check your EFI relay when it is not starting to see if it is clicking when you first try to start it up.
lexm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
adobero
AF Newbie

Re: T-100 starting problem

Hello. Thanks so much for the ideas. Those are the first concrete suggestions I've heard.

Actually, what happened was that the problem just seemed to correct itself. The day came when it just stopped doing it. My truck has 353,000 miles now! I expect the problem will return though at some time. We don't have harsh winters here, but maybe it had something to do with colder temps. So, maybe this winter the problem might come back.

My mechanic did tear out some wires from an old aftermarket cruise control that wasn't working that he thought might have something to do with it, but the problem persisted for a couple weeks after that, then went away. So, whether or not that had something to do with it, I don't know!

Thanks for your suggestions. Dan
adobero is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > T100