Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: did i make a bad choice in purchasing this vehicle
no - troopers are excellent vehicles 2 100.00%
bad choice - known for having lots of problems 0 0%
not if you have a bunch of money to dump into it 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 09:41 PM   #1
bvasvary
AF Newbie

Unhappy HELP 92 trooper won't start just bought 2day

somebody please help me - i just bought this 1992 trooper today - when i went to look at it - it was immaculate inside and out - no rust - started right up no problem - droove nice and smooth - seemed like an excellent vehicle. I drove it 45 miles to get it home and it ran like a champ - i was sooo happy. when we got it home it sat for about half an hour then i went out to admire my new vehicle so i sat in it with it on and idling fine for about 15 mins (i live in maine so it's cold - i had to have the heat on) anyway.... about a half hour later someone came over so i went to show it off and just when i was bragging it up i went to start it - it sputtered a couple times and died. i tried a couple more times and it did the same thing - and now it won't start at all. it turns over and over but will not start. the check engine light is not on - any hints on what we should check first?????? i'm so sad - please help =(
bvasvary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
trooperbc
AF Enthusiast

Re: HELP 92 trooper won't start just bought 2day

don't be sad you will get it fixed and love it. there's been a rash it seems of this particular scenario lately in the different forums, with no exactly common thread (except the cold temerature, maybe). it could be lots of things. you have to start in a logical diagnosis mode at the basics of fuel and spark and work from there, up through the emission and driveability computer stuff. but start back there at the basics. it seems the cold is causing all sorts of problems that skated through during warmer weather.
first: call the seller, be nice, and find out the *real* stuff about what's going on; chances are very good he knows all about it, that's why he warmed it up before you got there.
second, just because the CheckEngineLight isn't lit up now doesn't mean there are not codes stored there. you can read them yourself easily, and if you don't know, as the only other person in the u.s. with a 1992 trooper, i'll tell you how if you want.
think positive -- 92 troopers rule \

//bc

i love a good intermittent electrical challenge. . .especially when it's someone else's.
trooperbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:34 AM   #3
bvasvary
AF Newbie

ok - so it's definintely not the spark because we got it to start with starting fluid - however it will only run for a second then it dies again - should we be able to hear the fuel pump come on when we turn the ignition on???? any info is greatly appreciated
Old 02-04-2007, 10:48 AM   #4
bvasvary
AF Newbie

second, just because the CheckEngineLight isn't lit up now doesn't mean there are not codes stored there. you can read them yourself easily, and if you don't know, as the only other person in the u.s. with a 1992 trooper, i'll tell you how if you want.
think positive -- 92 troopers rule \

IF YOU COULD TELL US HOW THAT WOULD BE EXCELLENT!!!!!
Old 02-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #5
Canucklehead
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Canucklehead

Quote:
On 1992-95 Trooper & 1993-95 Rodeo models W/3.2L engine, connect a jumper wire between data link connector terminals 1 and 3. On 1992-95 Trooper models the data link connector is located behind the lower front of the instrument panel. On 1993-95 Rodeo models W/3.2 engine, the data link is located under the left hand side of the instrument panel. On all models, turn the ignition switch to the On position. At this point, the "Check Engine" light should flash.

The DTC's are indicated by the flashing CEL.

FLASH, FLASH, pause, FLASH, FLASH, FLASH = Code 23.
You can find the codes here.
Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 04:21 PM   #6
trooperbc
AF Enthusiast

that's pretty much it. the codes repeat 3 times each. the first set of codes will be 1-2 twelve, which means the diagnostic system is working.
here's photo of how to find the connector on your 1992. you want the 3-white. they may have cover over them. just reach up and you will find them.

you want to jumper with a wire or paper clip, the outside two.

and i've found this site's troublecode list generally to be more accurate and easier to use...
http://autorepair.about.com/library/...l-dtcs-23a.htm
//bc

i love a good intermittent electrical challenge. . .especially when it's someone else's.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:52 PM   #7
bvasvary
AF Newbie

so we checked the dtc's and the only one it gave us was 12 - no help - but thanks for teaching us how to do that - oh and BTW for anyone who was wondering it is a 92 trooper 3.2 SOHC - i noticed in reading other posts that you guys like to know what kind of engine we are talking about. anyway - i will keep you updated. thanks again
Old 02-04-2007, 05:57 PM   #8
J-Mech
AF Newbie

If you can get it to run on starting fluid it is DEFINETLY NOT getting fuel. Very good idea to try that, however, be careful because too much starting fluid can destroy the engine. Chase the fuel system and see what you find GOOD LUCK!
J-Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:02 PM   #9
bvasvary
AF Newbie

Thanks - We Are Changing The Fuel Filter Right Now - I'm Sure That Will Not Help But I Figured We Might As Well - He Says He Thinks It's The Fuel Pump Because He Checked The Wires Leading To It And There Was No Power - He's Just Gritting His Teeth About Having To Drop The Gas Tank Out - Any Suggestions On The Best Way To Go About Doing That???
Old 02-04-2007, 06:05 PM   #10
J-Mech
AF Newbie

If there is no power going to the fuel pump do not drop the tank. The problem is not there. Check the fuses and look for a fuel pump relay.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:41 PM   #11
trooperbc
AF Enthusiast

no don't drop that tank...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvasvary
.... He Says He Thinks It's The Fuel Pump Because He Checked The Wires Leading To It And There Was No Power -
that means it's probably the fuel pump relay which is in the fuse/relay box in the engine compartment. this is how it works.
when you turn the key to ON without trying to start it, the fuel pump operates for 2 seconds and then cuts out (you can hear it); this power is from the battery via the fuel pump relay from instruction from the computer.
when the engine is turning over, either by the cranking of the starter or by running, the fuel pump is run by alternator power via the fuel pump relay from instruction from the computer.

there are some tests you can make, but the easiest way is just to swap one of those exact same relays there in the box for the fuel pump relay and see what happens. and then if no help come back here for more help.

if you are going to keep this 1992 trooper and continue to work on it, you will want to spend some $$ and get the factory service manual, electrical troubleshooting manual, technical service bulletins and others from
www.helminc.com be sitting, they cost.
or go to www.alldata.com for essentially an online version for a reasonable $25 for the first year and all the pages you want to print. i did both, and prefer the hardcopy but alldata is a definite alternative and superior to haynes/chilton, although i like to get all the info possible.

btw, the next step, after the relay, is to check the wiring back there by the fuel pump. it still could be the pump, but you want to make the preliminary checks first.

hth

//bc

Old 02-04-2007, 08:01 PM   #12
bvasvary
AF Newbie

OK OK - so i guess i was wrong in what i said - sorry for those of you who responded - there is power going through the wires leading to the fuel pump and when he made a direct connection of the fuel pump to the battery the fuel pump didn't work - he said he doesn't hear it (the fuel pump) click on for the 2 secs when he turns the key either. he already checked the relays and fuses as well. we did change the fuel filter too and he noticed that there is gas leaking on the front side of the tank where there are a bunch of wires going into the tank - he is not sure what they are but maybe this is contributing to the problem as well??????????
Old 02-04-2007, 08:05 PM   #13
J-Mech
AF Newbie

sounds like the pump went
Old 02-05-2007, 06:24 AM   #14
atfdmike
AF Regular

Here is some background info. on this discussion. Remember that the gas is flammable so disconnect the ground on the truck before working on it, since you note that there is gas leaking. I would suspect a different reason for the gas leak if the pump is not turning on. Good luck.

1992 Isuzu Truck Trooper (4 Door) V6-3165cc 3.2L SOHC (6VD1)

Vehicle Level Powertrain Management Fuel Delivery and Air Induction Fuel Tank Service and Repair Service and RepairFuel Tank Fuel Tank Replacement

Vehicle Level Powertrain Management Fuel Delivery and Air Induction Fuel Pump Testing and Inspection Testing and Inspection Fuel Pump Circuit
Chart A-5 Fuel Pump Relay Circuit

Circuit Description
When the ignition switch is turned "ON", the Engine Control Module (ECM) will activate the fuel pump relay and operate the in tank fuel pump. The fuel pump will operate as long as the engine is cranking or running and the ECM is receiving ignition reference pulses. If there are no reference pulses, the ECM will shut "OFF" the fuel pump within 2 seconds after key "ON".

Test Description
Numbers below refer to circled numbers on the diagnostic chart.
  1. Checks for the presence Battery Position Voltage at switching portion of fuel pump relay.
  2. Checks circuit between fuel pump relay and ground (including the fuel pump).
  3. This test will confirm if voltage is available to the relay coil.
Diagnostic Aids
A visual inspection of wiring and connectors should be made if an intermittent problem exists.

For further information, refer to Intermittent Check Procedure .

Vehicle Level Powertrain Management Fuel Delivery and Air Induction Fuel Pump Service and Repair Service and Repair Fuel Pump Replacement

1. Remove fuel tank.
  2. Remove pump.

Vehicle Level Powertrain Management Fuel Delivery and Air Induction Fuel Pump Parts Information Parts InformationPartOEM PartPriceFuel Pump8970161421
atfdmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:47 AM   #15
bvasvary
AF Newbie

so we are about to begin the dropping of the tank - thanks so much for the diagrams - we will keep y'all updated on our progress

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard