Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 11:24 PM   #1
xokayxo
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to xokayxo
Arrow accessory belt squeak/chirp

my accessory belt under the hood has started squeaking/chirping. it does not have any obvious cracks or uneven wear, and i'm not sure the last time it was replaced (i've had my 98 jimmy for about a year and havent replaced it myself). should i replace it or am i able to lubricate it to try and get it to stop squeaking? and if i CAN lubricate it, what is a safe product to do so with? thanks in advance, guys
xokayxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 11:31 PM   #2
2000CAYukon
AF Enthusiast

Re: accessory belt squeak/chirp

Get a Goodyear Gatorback replacement and the problem will be solved.

None of the belt dressings last very long.

//2000CAYukon
2000CAYukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 11:33 PM   #3
2000CAYukon
AF Enthusiast

Also make sure the tensioner is in good shape.

//2000CAYukon
Old 05-29-2005, 02:22 AM   #4
xokayxo
AF Regular

thanks! can i get the gatorback replacement at any schucks/kragen/napa/auto parts store or do i have to go to a dealership?
Old 05-31-2005, 06:17 AM   #5
cmoore992002
AF Newbie

I had this same problem once on an F150. The problem was the belt tensioner. I hit the back of it with some lube and the chirp went away and stayed away.
cmoore992002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:21 PM   #6
2000CAYukon
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xokayxo
thanks! can i get the gatorback replacement at any schucks/kragen/napa/auto parts store or do i have to go to a dealership?
Any place that sells Goodyear belts and hoses. No need to go to the dealership for the belt.

http://www.goodyearbeltsandhose.com/...buy/index.html

//2000CAYukon
Old 06-01-2005, 09:27 AM   #7
clariveros
AF Regular

I would advise against the goodyear gator back belt, if you do a search here or on the blazer forums you will find many stories of how some people had those belts rip apart in less than a 1000 miles, I went to the dealer and for only 15 dollars more than a gator back i got an original belt and it has worked great for 10k , Good luck

2007 Ford F150 supercab lariat 2wd
clariveros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 11:43 AM   #8
blazee
Problem?

I prefer the Dayco belts from advance auto. I like their cross cut groove design, if something happens that causes the belt to leave the grooves of the pulleys...the Dayco's cross cut groove design lets the belt go back in place, belts with continuous grooves would be destroyed.
blazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:06 PM   #9
clariveros
AF Regular

Blazee, i am not trying to contradict you i just wanted to post the link to the thread i had started with regards to this issue, wolfox says that gates are also good belts http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=369082

Old 06-01-2005, 01:37 PM   #10
blazee
Problem?

Re: Re: accessory belt squeak/chirp

Quote:
Originally Posted by clariveros
Blazee, i am not trying to contradict you i just wanted to post the link to the thread i had started with regards to this issue, wolfox says that gates are also good belts http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=369082
That doesn't contradict what I said it shows a couple more opinions. My opinion is based on a past experience with my Impala. About 5 years ago I replaced the belt tensioner on my Impala, when I did I put on a Dayco belt, too. About 3 years later the belt started squealing, so I put on a new one. It lasted a month and then it started squealing. I thought that maybe Dayco was having problems and produced some bad belts, so I bought a Gates from NAPA. After about 5 minutes the Gates belt flew all to pieces. I got another Dayco belt and used it about a week while I tracked down the problem. The plastic pulley on my aftermarket belt tensioner had worn and was causing my belt to run off center. I replaced the tensioner and used the same belt that I had used for a week with the bad tensioner. That has been 2 years and about 30,000 miles ago and the belt is still good. The Daycos lasted longer, because they could go back in the groove after jumping out. That is what I like about them and why I still use them. Granted, the problem I had with the Gates belt wasn't the belt's fault, but it showed me the value of having a belt that could correct it's track, if for some reason it should jump a groove.

My opinion is based on the thought that it would give me better protection in case of a rare event. The Gates or OEM belts may indeed last longer, I really don't know for sure, but I know that I have used Dayco a lot and not had to replace any, except the ones I mentioned above and that was in a situation that wasn't caused by the belt.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:27 PM   #11
redwheeler
AF Regular

my belt was chirpin alot so i replaced it still chirped
so later on i took it off cleend with some brake cleen and a wire brush replaced belt and gone runs exta quiet now
redwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:21 AM   #12
clariveros
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: accessory belt squeak/chirp

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazee
That doesn't contradict what I said it shows a couple more opinions. My opinion is based on a past experience with my Impala.

The reason i threw that out there is becasue i read these forums a lot and i noticed that a lot of people get really touchy sometimes, so to not start up any sh*t i just wanted to be safe, just trying to be careful not trying to tick anyone off, i have used these forums a lot and they been a great help so i dont want to make enemies here

Old 06-02-2005, 11:30 AM   #13
blazee
Problem?

Re: Re: Re: Re: accessory belt squeak/chirp

Quote:
Originally Posted by clariveros
The reason i threw that out there is becasue i read these forums a lot and i noticed that a lot of people get really touchy sometimes, so to not start up any sh*t i just wanted to be safe, just trying to be careful not trying to tick anyone off, i have used these forums a lot and they been a great help so i dont want to make enemies here
Your opinions and views are just as valid as anyone else's, you should never be nervous about posting them. As long as you are trying to help, no one should criticize you.
The problems occur when someone comes in and posts their opinions and says that their's is right and everyone else's is wrong. Or when someone posts incorrect info and continues to support it even when it is proven to be wrong. And of course...threads about oil or dexcool always cause problem.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:24 PM   #14
clariveros
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: accessory belt squeak/chirp

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazee
threads about oil or dexcool always cause problem.

Hehe

Old 06-06-2005, 12:40 AM   #15
xokayxo
AF Regular

still squeaking!

alright, so i replaced the belt with a Drive-Rite 5060960DR from schucks. still squeaking!!!! maybe belt tensioner???

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy