Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 11:00 PM   #1
wildcatsua
AF Newbie

Unhappy 1996 Jimmy rough idle

Over the past month I've been chasing a problem with a rough idle. The SES light has come on 3 times. The 1st 2 were misfire on cyclinder 2 and the last one was random misfire. The last code went out by itself after about a day. I have 92k miles. Recently replaced plugs (Bosch platinum), wires, fuel filter, distributor cap and rotor. Thought I was on to something with the fuel filter. When I pulled the old one (original) I had a hard time blowing thru it. But this did not pan out. Still idles rough. Another symptom is that it's harder to start when it warms up. Reading some of the other threads makes me wonder about the fuel pump. I have not checked the pressure.

Any help would be appreciated.
wildcatsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:16 AM   #2
rjleee1
AF Newbie

Re: 1996 Jimmy rough idle

It might be your Ignition Module that is behind your passenger front tire behind flap.That module when not working properly makes the Jimmy revert to a different setting which will make it run rough, its not very expensive, and cures a lot of issues. You should go to Autozone online and put your vehicle in and do a lookup on the ignition module there is alot of good info there for you. Good luck
rjleee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 04:33 PM   #3
JimmySLS
AF Regular

rough idle

I would first start by getting rid of the Bosch platinums and buying a set of AC Delco platinums...Did this problem start before or after you replaced the spark plugs?Also what kind of wires did you buy?If they weren't AC Delco I would buy a set of those too..I had the rough idle with mine and come to find out it was the sparkplug wires..So you might want to try those first and see what you come up with..The Delco parts maybe a little more expensive but they make your vehicle run better in my opinion..
JimmySLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:06 PM   #4
wildcatsua
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 1996 Jimmy rough idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjleee1
It might be your Ignition Module that is behind your passenger front tire behind flap.That module when not working properly makes the Jimmy revert to a different setting which will make it run rough, its not very expensive, and cures a lot of issues. You should go to Autozone online and put your vehicle in and do a lookup on the ignition module there is alot of good info there for you. Good luck
Any way to check this before replacing? It's an $80 item.

thx
Old 03-23-2005, 09:09 PM   #5
wildcatsua
AF Newbie

Re: rough idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmySLS
I would first start by getting rid of the Bosch platinums and buying a set of AC Delco platinums...Did this problem start before or after you replaced the spark plugs?Also what kind of wires did you buy?If they weren't AC Delco I would buy a set of those too..I had the rough idle with mine and come to find out it was the sparkplug wires..So you might want to try those first and see what you come up with..The Delco parts maybe a little more expensive but they make your vehicle run better in my opinion..
The problem started before replacing plugs and wires - that's why I replaced them. Wires are double silicone $40 set. No change after replacing.

Your thoughts?

thx
Old 03-23-2005, 10:05 PM   #6
blazes9395
Newbie mod

Your injectors could be leaking or partially clogged. I would first do a fuel pressure test of the system first and see how that goes.
blazes9395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:58 AM   #7
rlith
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rlith Send a message via MSN to rlith
a missfire code on a specific cylinder usually indicates a problem with the injector or the cap/rotor/wire/plug.... Your bosch plugs are crap, as stated above, use ac-delco rapidfires or platinum. Then check your cap/rotor and then look to the injector.

95 s10 Blazer, EGR Mod, ZQ8 Steering box mod, 99 Center console shifter mod and more... See everything at www.pghconsulting.net/teal
rlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:53 AM   #8
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

oh no, you install Bosch plats?!

Get rid of the and get a refund. Total garbage.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:47 PM   #9
dbecker63
AF Newbie

I have a 1996 with 76K on it. I've done the spark plug change and an induction clean and have never got a significant change in the rough idle until I replaced 5/32" vacuum lines. These lines are on the driver's side by the firewall. Also helped the gas mileage, almost 21 mpg on the highway. I have been told by more than one mechanic that the rough idle will never totally go away.
dbecker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 07:42 AM   #10
wildcatsua
AF Newbie

OK, I got the AC Delco Rapid fires. No change. I'm trying to piece together the symptoms of rough idle and the way it starts - turns over immediately when cold then takes several seconds of cranking when it's warmed up. Not sure if they're related. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2005, 07:48 AM   #11
wildcatsua
AF Newbie

I only see 7/32" vacuum lines in this area. They go to this black plastic ball looking thing that's mounted to the hood. I'm assuming this is a storage tank of sorts. After sitting overnight, I pulled the line off this tank and heard vacuum bleeding off. I think this would mean that there's no leaks. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2005, 07:49 AM   #12
rlith
AF Enthusiast

Again, see my post above, a specific cylinder misfire is USUALLY (not always) related to the injector tube.... I say this because it's come up on cylinder 2 for you a few times. Also the hard start after warm up would indicate a possible injection problem. I would also look at the vac lines as debecker suggested. Check for dryrot, cracks and leaks.

95 s10 Blazer, EGR Mod, ZQ8 Steering box mod, 99 Center console shifter mod and more... See everything at www.pghconsulting.net/teal
Old 03-27-2005, 08:01 AM   #13
wildcatsua
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 1996 Jimmy rough idle

Thanks for quick reply. How can I fix? I've got a bottle of Gumout fuel injector cleaner that I was planning to dump in when my tank was empty and then add about 10 gal of high test.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2005, 08:05 AM   #14
rlith
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: 1996 Jimmy rough idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatsua
Thanks for quick reply. How can I fix? I've got a bottle of Gumout fuel injector cleaner that I was planning to dump in when my tank was empty and then add about 10 gal of high test.

Thanks!
You can try that (I would use seafoam though) More than likely though you're better off just replacing the injector hose...(nice feature of the CSFI system) They have them at advance for about 60 bux...

Old 03-27-2005, 03:29 PM   #15
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Yip, just replace that one injector.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD