Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:08 PM   #16
Webraft
AF Newbie

Re: Trooper 94-changed alternator now have no lights and power

I am happy to report that I got the car working and able to get it back to my driveway. Of course, besides the great help I received from this forum, I had the support of my 9 yeard old son and his good ideas.

I am thankful to all of you for taking the time and walking me through the steps. I couldn't have done it without your great directions. Special thanks goes to Boritz for staying with it.

I was about to take out the alternator, right before you guys provided more details for locating the short.... those tips really really paved the way. I had checked all the grounds and the wires and they all looked fine. There was a short at the Alternator where the pedestal is located. The edge of the connector was touching the almost attached other car metal parts. I was able to isolate it and that is when my son said "dad try starting it now".

Now, I hope that the car would function fine when I take it to work tomorrow. My fear is that there still is a bare wire somewhere and by me pushing cords/cables around to look for short, I have temporarily dudged the bullet.
Webraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:20 AM   #17
boritz
AF Regular

That's great mate - glad you've got it going!
boritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:18 AM   #18
copter steve
AF Newbie

Good Morning
Your issues with your trooper has made interesting reading. I'm not sure I am getting how you are looking for the short. This is the way I would do it. Take a test light, you know the unit has a alligator clip on one end of the wire and a probe with a lite on the other end, used for finding power thru the wire of a circuit. I take the negative cable off the battery and hook the alligator clip to it, then take the probe end and set it on the top of the negative post. Make sure all the doors are shut remove any lite under the hood. If current is moving because of a short, the lite will come on. Start removing fuses one at a time when you pull a fuse and the lite goes out you have found the circuit. I normally get a friend to help out with this process. It works really well. A dvom works the same way, attach one end of the meter to the negative cable and the other to the negative post and you will get a reading thru the meter, must be switched to the d.c. volt side.

Good Luck

Coopter Steve
copter steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:23 AM   #19
Webraft
AF Newbie

Thanks, great suggestions. I'll put it into use.
Webraft is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard