Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 08:30 AM   #1
LEM
AF Regular

2000 Trooper - Intermitten Blinking CEL!!!!!

Let me summarize:

Last Summer:
-CEL appeared indicating EGR trouble according to Autozone scan
-Dealer confimred EGR code; cleaned the EGR and Tube...$350.00!
-CEL began to blink, but only when I step on the gas pedal and only when the vehicle is first started. I can run it for a couple of minutes, turn off the engine and start it back up and no CEL. I also noticed that if I let it idle for a minute or so when I first start it in the morning, the CEL won't come on. One other point here, the CEL doesn't come on immediately, seems like it comes on after the engine hits 2,000 RPM for the first time; after that it blinks whenever I give it some gas.
-Took it back to dealer, with the blinking EGR; this was tricky. I had to make an appointment with them, then I let the Trooper sit in my garage all night. I started the engine and drove straight to the dealer (35 miles); the CEL did its thing, so I kept the engine running at the dealer and they checked the blinking CEL by putting it in Drive, setting the parking brake, and giving it the gas while pressing on the brakes; the CEL blinked. They ran the codes...nothing; no codes were registering and there was nothing in the history! They tried it three or four times. Finally they gave up; they couldn't tell me anything other than, "try changing the fuel filter". I explained that I hadn't had this problem before I brought it to them to have the EGR and EGR tube cleaned! No matter; they couldn't offer any suggestions. At least they didn't charge me for the scan. I drove home; by this time I had shut the engine off and restarted it so no CEL all the way home.
-Changed the fuel filter when I got home from the dealer that day.
-Still getting the intermitten blinking CEL (again only in the morning after 2000 rpm is hit and only when accelerating).
Early Fall
-Posted a question about it on this forum.
-Reset the computer by disconnecting the battery overnight.
-Blinking CEL returned as usual.
-Noticed increased oil consumption about 1 quart every 500 miles.
Three Weeks Ago
-Ran Seafoam in the engine for about 180 miles
-Changed the oil to Royal Purple Synthetic 10W-30.
-Still using more oil than it should (or historically did)
Last Week
-Went to Autozone and they ran the codes...nothing!
-Changed PCV valve
This past Saturday
-Cleaned the EGR tube
-Cleaned the MAF with intake cleaner (just sprayed it)
-Pulled one plug and noticed the electrodes were coated with a white powdery-looking coating. Existing Denso PK16PR11 plugs have about 50,000 miles (not 65,000 as I posted before).
-Still getting the intermitten blinking CEL

I've ordered some new plugs and should have them on Friday.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
LEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 12:29 PM   #2
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Re: 2000 Trooper - Intermitten Blinking CEL!!!!!

How old is the battery?

Have you cleaned up all of the ground points (like the one to the alt braket?).

Isuzu's do funky things with weak electical systems.

Have you ever changed the Intake Manafold gasket (there is a new design, and it might be worth your time and money to swap it out now).

Cleaned/replaced the PCV?

gas cap tight?

I'm just tossing out ideas here.

I think the key places to look is electrical and IMG

Report back what you find.

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 12:29 PM   #3
travelman
AF Regular

The plugs may help. If nothing else you needed to loosen and reset the old ones and grease the plug boots before they tended to seize in place.

Leaking intake manifold gaskests are a common problem but you don't have the typical surging idle symptoms. Still though it couldn't hurt to check for this.

Also sounds vaguely electrical, kind of like a dying battery/alternator that just doesn't have quite enough juice to handle a load increase when you first step on the gas. The fact that it will stop when you restart the vehicle seems to rule this out.

I personally would buy the el cheapo code reader from Harbor Freight. Should set you back around $40 on sale. Carry it will you and try to catch a code. It is very odd that no codes are being stored. So odd that it makes me wonder if it is a computer or loose wire issue.

Might also try a can or two of techron. Might help clean out some deposits that are fouling an injector or fuel pump??? Again not real likely but not a bad preventative maintenance step in any event.

Bottom line you have an oil burning issue that you need to stay on top of. Whether the CEL is at all related remains to be seen.
travelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 02:59 PM   #4
faita
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to faita

I have similar problem. Mine just came from the shop with blown head gasket. Today, I started seeing the CEL light, took it to autozone and they told the same story EGR plus posibility of missing cylinder. The shop had told me same thing earlier on but didn't mention the cylinder problem but he said that the EGR problem will go after 500 miles to allow carbon seals to seat where they replaced the plugs and installed new cylinder.

Samuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEM
Let me summarize:

Last Summer:
-CEL appeared indicating EGR trouble according to Autozone scan
-Dealer confimred EGR code; cleaned the EGR and Tube...$350.00!
-CEL began to blink, but only when I step on the gas pedal and only when the vehicle is first started. I can run it for a couple of minutes, turn off the engine and start it back up and no CEL. I also noticed that if I let it idle for a minute or so when I first start it in the morning, the CEL won't come on. One other point here, the CEL doesn't come on immediately, seems like it comes on after the engine hits 2,000 RPM for the first time; after that it blinks whenever I give it some gas.
-Took it back to dealer, with the blinking EGR; this was tricky. I had to make an appointment with them, then I let the Trooper sit in my garage all night. I started the engine and drove straight to the dealer (35 miles); the CEL did its thing, so I kept the engine running at the dealer and they checked the blinking CEL by putting it in Drive, setting the parking brake, and giving it the gas while pressing on the brakes; the CEL blinked. They ran the codes...nothing; no codes were registering and there was nothing in the history! They tried it three or four times. Finally they gave up; they couldn't tell me anything other than, "try changing the fuel filter". I explained that I hadn't had this problem before I brought it to them to have the EGR and EGR tube cleaned! No matter; they couldn't offer any suggestions. At least they didn't charge me for the scan. I drove home; by this time I had shut the engine off and restarted it so no CEL all the way home.
-Changed the fuel filter when I got home from the dealer that day.
-Still getting the intermitten blinking CEL (again only in the morning after 2000 rpm is hit and only when accelerating).
Early Fall
-Posted a question about it on this forum.
-Reset the computer by disconnecting the battery overnight.
-Blinking CEL returned as usual.
-Noticed increased oil consumption about 1 quart every 500 miles.
Three Weeks Ago
-Ran Seafoam in the engine for about 180 miles
-Changed the oil to Royal Purple Synthetic 10W-30.
-Still using more oil than it should (or historically did)
Last Week
-Went to Autozone and they ran the codes...nothing!
-Changed PCV valve
This past Saturday
-Cleaned the EGR tube
-Cleaned the MAF with intake cleaner (just sprayed it)
-Pulled one plug and noticed the electrodes were coated with a white powdery-looking coating. Existing Denso PK16PR11 plugs have about 50,000 miles (not 65,000 as I posted before).
-Still getting the intermitten blinking CEL

I've ordered some new plugs and should have them on Friday.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
faita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:10 PM   #5
herkfe27
AF Newbie

I had the exact same issue with my 2000 Trooper. I changed the spark plugs and have driven it 4500 miles since with no more CEL problems at all.
herkfe27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:39 AM   #6
LEM
AF Regular

Thanks for the feedback. I replaced the alternator and battery last summer, so I feel pretty comfortable with them, but I may take it to Advance or Autozone and have the electrical system checked.

I did notice it idling a bit high when I first start it up in the morning, about 1200-1300. When it's warm it seems to idel in park or neutral around 600 RPM. What's the optimum idle speed when not in gear?

Can you give me some more detail on the new intake manifold gasket? Where can I get it, other than at the dealer?

What Techron product is recommended?

Thanks again for your help.

God Bless!
Old 04-21-2005, 01:48 PM   #7
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Whoa! Back the train up for a second. Did you replace the alt with an Autozone refurb alt?

Isuzu's are very picky with their voltage regulation, and don't like cheap refurb'ed alt.

Search here and the Rodeo board for more info (search for alternator).

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 04:45 PM   #8
travelman
AF Regular

Like noted Isuzus are picky about alternators. AND parts places are not great at properly checking their own alternators in Isuzu service. Even though that is not my first choice of likely problem, it cannot hurt to check it some more.

Any Techron should work (e.g. injector cleaner or fuel system cleaner).

For all the work the gaskets are you might as well go with a good new and improved oem set. Go with St. Charles Isuzu for a good price delivered to your door.

Your idle warm vs. cold speeds sound ok to me. They are not adjustable in any event, unless of course you fix a problem that was preventing the computer from controlling them.
travelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:29 AM   #9
aries4364
AF Newbie

Hi,
I am new to this forum, so I am not sure how to request information, other than this message.
I have a 2000 Trooper and I am experiencing this exact problem with the flashing check engine light when I accelerate.
It also needed a new starter and my spark plugs were replaced. All was fine until again this morning, the light starts blinking when I accelerate.
Do you know anything about the "electronic gas pedal" being an issue? That is what I have been told this past week and I was also told that it would be very expensive to replace?
Can you maybe guide me to someone or someplace that can tell me if the blinking check engine light is a big problem or is the vehicle still in good shape to drive?
Thank you for any assistance
aries4364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:45 AM   #10
LEM
AF Regular

Well, I had my Trooper in the shop yesterday (see other recent posts by LEM) anyway I mentioned this problem to the ASE-certified mechanic and he said it could indicate that there was unspent fuel going through the exhaust system. He said if this was the case, the catylitic converter would be fouled in about 500 miles. Well, mine has been blinking like this for about 15,000 miles and no other problems...other than the oil consumption which predates the blinking.

I may look into having my injector system tested to see if I have a bad injector or pressure regulator.

Never heard anything about an eletronic gas pedal.

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:47 AM   #11
LEM
AF Regular

I replaced the alternator with a factory (Isuzu) one.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:08 AM   #12
aries4364
AF Newbie

The mechanic said that he called Isuzu and gave them the symptoms, blinking CEL when accelerating, no code to list, and he said that Isuzu stated that '00-'01 Troopers are having a problem with the CEL for the gas pedal??. Not sure what he was talking about, but he took back the truck replaced the spark plugs (N/C), cleaned the egr port and pvc valve, drove it around without any check engine light blinking.
As the story was told, it started again this morning. I am so impressed with this forum! I have been educated more than you can imagine. I am still curious to know if it is safe to take on long highway trips?
Thanks for your help...Sincerely!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEM
Well, I had my Trooper in the shop yesterday (see other recent posts by LEM) anyway I mentioned this problem to the ASE-certified mechanic and he said it could indicate that there was unspent fuel going through the exhaust system. He said if this was the case, the catylitic converter would be fouled in about 500 miles. Well, mine has been blinking like this for about 15,000 miles and no other problems...other than the oil consumption which predates the blinking.

I may look into having my injector system tested to see if I have a bad injector or pressure regulator.

Never heard anything about an eletronic gas pedal.

Thanks.
aries4364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:05 AM   #13
LEM
AF Regular

I have taken mine on several long trips to Florida, Pennsylvania, & North Carolina and am taking it this weekend to Winston-Salem. I am planning to change the sparkplugs this afternoon just to see if that helps the gas mileage. Now, one thing: the blinking CEL on mine quits after I turn the engine off for about 30 seconds after the initial start-up; also I've noticed that if I let it idle for about 30 seconds or so the CEL won't come on. If yours is doing the same thing and is running well otherwise, I wouldn't think twice about taking it on the road for a long trip.

BTW, do you have AAA?
Old 05-16-2006, 12:44 AM   #14
JPalmer121
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEM
I have taken mine on several long trips to Florida, Pennsylvania, & North Carolina and am taking it this weekend to Winston-Salem. I am planning to change the sparkplugs this afternoon just to see if that helps the gas mileage. Now, one thing: the blinking CEL on mine quits after I turn the engine off for about 30 seconds after the initial start-up; also I've noticed that if I let it idle for about 30 seconds or so the CEL won't come on. If yours is doing the same thing and is running well otherwise, I wouldn't think twice about taking it on the road for a long trip.

BTW, do you have AAA?
Sorry, but this sounds like the problem I'm seeing, but ALL lights light up. 4WD, everything on dash, and battery gauge goes all the way over to the right, and the tranny won't shift from third gear. I'm baffled, was told it's possibly a bad alternator, still using orginal on a '96 w/206k miles. See post "1996 Problems...."
JPalmer121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 01:30 PM   #15
Ramblin Fever
AF Enthusiast

JPalmer121 - your issue sounds CLEARLY like your alternator is failing.

I wouldn't even have it tested - just get yourself an OEM Isuzu or Bosch alternator. I do NOT recommend just any aftermarket one, as these Isuzu's will eat 'em for breakfast and you'll have waisted time/effort putting it in.

I have an older truck as well, and have experienced your same symptoms. These Isuzu's will act REALLY really weird if their voltage is low, including the transmission not wanting to shift into overdrive or shift at all.

Get it out soon, so you don't keep putting extra strain on that tranny.

2004 3.4L Tacoma TRD off-road 4x4 Double cab
32" Yoko's, Westin Bull-bar, KC Fogs 60K miles
Ramblin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD