Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
samprix
AF Regular

Automatic Level Control problem?

I have a 1999 LeSabre with ALC (G67 rpo).

It seems to me that the pump for this system cycles too much. Every time I start the car the air pump runs to fill up the rear shocks. It does this even if I take stuff out of the trunk, and then start the car. The pump will cycle periodically while the car is running.

Is this normal or does it indicate that the system has a leak? If the system has a leak, where are the most leak prone areas? Does this have anything to do with the computer SEL suspension components (rpo 8SL and 9SL)?

I never had a car with load levelers before, so I'm a little lost.

Thanks!
samprix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Re: Automatic Level Control problem?

The most likely place for a leak is in the strut bladders. You can confirm this by jacking up the rear-end and letting the rear suspension hang. Remove the tire/wheel assembly and use a soapy water solution to spray on the bladders. (similar to how you check for an air leak in the tires). If you see air bubbles forming around the area sprayed, of course you have found the leak. The only fix for this, is to replace the struts.
Quote:
Does this have anything to do with the computer SEL suspension components (rpo 8SL and 9SL)?
No, this has nothing to do with the computer selected springs! Each suspension option has it’s own “computer selected” spring option. ALC suspension systems have different springs from the typical, non-ALC.

HotZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
samprix
AF Regular

Thanks for the reply and good info!
I'll check it as you indicated as soon as this snow and ice is out of here.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
imidazol97
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by samprix
I have a 1999 LeSabre with ALC (G67 rpo).

It seems to me that the pump for this system cycles too much. Every time I start the car the air pump runs to fill up the rear shocks. It does this even if I take stuff out of the trunk, and then start the car. The pump will cycle periodically while the car is running.

Is this normal or does it indicate that the system has a leak? If the system has a leak, where are the most leak prone areas?

Thanks!
The car does a short run of the pump to cycle the system even if you don't turn the key to start. Try just turning the key to "ON" and sit and wait. After about 30-40 seconds the pump will run for about 5 seconds. This inflates the struts and adjusts the pressures. It will do this every time the key is turned to "ON." You can repeat it again to check.

Then just leave the key ON for a while as you do things near the car such as wax, check tire pressures, change the oil, etc. See if the pump cycles again in a few minutes indicating the system is leaking air presssure. Otherwise I'd suggest your system is normal.

You can try adding a few hundred pounds to the trunk as it sits and after 17 seconds or 27 seconds at the same lower height, the pump may turn on and lilft the rear end back to the correct height. If it didn't move down enough to be out-of-range, the pump may not turn on. IF you remove weight from the trunk after the same several seconds at the same height range on the sensor, it should bleed some air to lower the rear of the car.

Throw in some lawn fertilizer bags and sit on the trunk is what I did to see how it self-adjusts.
imidazol97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:16 PM   #5
samprix
AF Regular

The system is definately leaking because the system will cycle on and off as long as the ignition is in the "run" position with no change in weight to the trunk. The initial cycle is more than a minute long to bring the car to level after it has sat for a period of time.

Is there a fuse that I can pull or some other way to disable this feature temporarily, until I can repair it, so as not to cause undue wear on the pump? The pump is noisy and I am concerned that some excessive wear on the pump may have already happened.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:25 AM   #6
Loekee75
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Loekee75

Quote:
Originally Posted by samprix
Is there a fuse that I can pull or some other way to disable this feature temporarily, until I can repair it, so as not to cause undue wear on the pump? The pump is noisy and I am concerned that some excessive wear on the pump may have already happened.
Check the fuse label for "ELC" (Electronic Level Control) That's exactly what mine says, but it may be slightly different, as your LeSabre is a later model. I too have the leaking air bladders, and I pulled the ELC fuse to prevent the same premature wear and tear that you mentioned.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2653398
1992 Buick Park Avenue (Daily driver)
2001 Saturn SL1 (gas saver)

Last edited by HotZ28; 03-04-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Loekee75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
samprix
AF Regular

Found the fuse for the ELC.
It is a maxi-fuse and is under the hood in the maxi-fuse and relay center on the top of the fire wall. I guess that's why the manual didn't show an ELC fuse in the diagrams pictured.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:32 PM   #8
Hapynzap
AF Regular

For my 1999 LeSabre I wrecked out my Non working ALC and went with Monroe sensa track air shocks with a manual fill kit

Even the wifey likes em
Hapynzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #9
{Deadeye}
AF Newbie

I have a 1998 lesabre limited. I don't hear the compressor running at all. could it be the fuse or something else
{Deadeye} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:59 AM   #10
Hapynzap
AF Regular

It could be the pump has gone bad. I notice a lot of these older LeSabres driving around with their rear ends sagging. Air shocks/struts dont last for ever. Time for new ones maybe and if the pump is bad just put a $5 manual fill kit on like I did.
Hapynzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:42 AM   #11
thisnametooktolong
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapynzap View Post
It could be the pump has gone bad. I notice a lot of these older LeSabres driving around with their rear ends sagging. Air shocks/struts dont last for ever. Time for new ones maybe and if the pump is bad just put a $5 manual fill kit on like I did.
There is also a relay that works off the level sensor on the rear suspension. When that relay fries it will not start the compressor. (But shorting in power to the pump, it will run till it hits the high limit of the level switch) GM in all there wisdom likes to play find “this” relay. It could be (from likely to less) Under the passenger kick panel, close to the ECM, under the center console, inside the relay control center in the engine compartment
thisnametooktolong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #12
maxwedge
A990 racer

Exclamation Re: Automatic Level Control problem?

Please start a new thread in the future, this is dead for 1.5 years, thanks.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre