Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Jetta/Vento/Bora > '97 - '03
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
ambomo
AF Newbie

Unhappy What to do with a damaged 2001 Jetta?

I have a damaged 2001 Diesel VW Jetta TDI with manual transmition sitting in my driveway.

A few months ago another driver ran a red light and hit my front passenger-side wheel. There is significant body to the body and the wheel itself is bent inward. I couldn't even drive it off the scene because of the damage.

There were no witnesses to the accident and the other driver told his insurance he didn't run the red. They deny liability and I don't have collision coverage. I am in Americorps and can't afford the $3600 estimated to repair it.

So my poor, pretty car (with 40 mpg) is sitting in my driveway, sadly waiting for action.

The KBB for this model in excellent condition is $8,000. I live in California, where one recycler said he'd give me $1000, and another said $500. I don't know if I should try to find a private buyer (through Craigslist or another site) for more? Because of the high KBB price, I feel like I could do better than $1000. I know very little about mechanics, selling it for parts, etc.

What do y'all think I could get for it, and how? All advice helps! THANKS!
ambomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Blt2Lst
AF Enthusiast

Re: What to do with a damaged 2001 Jetta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambomo View Post
I have a damaged 2001 Diesel VW Jetta TDI with manual transmition sitting in my driveway.

A few months ago another driver ran a red light and hit my front passenger-side wheel. There is significant body to the body and the wheel itself is bent inward. I couldn't even drive it off the scene because of the damage.

There were no witnesses to the accident and the other driver told his insurance he didn't run the red. They deny liability and I don't have collision coverage. I am in Americorps and can't afford the $3600 estimated to repair it.

So my poor, pretty car (with 40 mpg) is sitting in my driveway, sadly waiting for action.

The KBB for this model in excellent condition is $8,000. I live in California, where one recycler said he'd give me $1000, and another said $500. I don't know if I should try to find a private buyer (through Craigslist or another site) for more? Because of the high KBB price, I feel like I could do better than $1000. The engine and guts are in great condition. I know very little about mechanics, selling it for parts, etc.

What do y'all think I could get for it, and how? All advice helps! THANKS!
I would try to list it on Ebay, you never know who might be interested.
1996 Suzuki RMX250

I'm a victim of circumstance [
Blt2Lst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Franco2112
AF Regular

Quick and sweet. If you want to keep the car do small increment rebuilds until you finish completely. Cost could be lower if you do some of the work. $3600 sounds a little high to me for your damage. You can also get other repair bids. Someone will beat $3600. Most people will only offer small change for your vehicle since they will also have to repair it.
Good Luck!
Franco
Franco2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Save the engine and tranny to sell on ebay, and thank your lucky stars that you still like the car given the multitude of major headaches that it causes most folks. If it weren't for 98-05 VWs, our shop would be broke.

Take whatever you can get for parts and relax knowing that you would have spent thousands of dollars keeping the check engine light off.

Then, find an insurance company who doesn't lay down and pee themselves when another insurance company says that their client didn't run a red light. Insurance companies have lawyers who are paid INSANE amounts of money. If your insurance company won't fight to save their own client, it means they are worthless. If they don't have the money to fight fraudulent claims, then they don't have the money to pay you for legitimate claims... which is why they lay over and play dead.

Or, you can hire your own lawyer and file a civil suit against the other driver.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
damage , jetta , parts , selling , volkswagen
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Jetta/Vento/Bora > '97 - '03