Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Celebrity
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
rdome43417
AF Newbie

Exclamation Power Windows

I have an 88 celebrity and none of the windows will work. I can jump the wires on the passenger side an it will work. When I take the switch panel off the driver side the passenger side will not work. Could this be a bad panel or do I have other problems? I also was a dummy when I took the wires off the passenger side switch and did not write down the wiring diagram. Please help. Thanks.
rdome43417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: Power Windows

I would look in my Haynes manual for a wiring diagram.
http://www.alldata.com/ Has a yearly subscription for around $26.95 they have good wiring diagrams.
If you have an DVOM meter check all your power supplys work if their good check grounds if their satisfactory buy a new switch.
Really a good wiring diagram will pay for itself in unneeded parts.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

I'm not sure how you did the jumper wires to make it work on the passenger side, so it's hard to know exactly where the problem lies.

Windows will not work if the driver side (master) control is not in place. It's needed to complete the circuit.

Since all the windows are involved, the most likely place to find the problem is in the ground connection at the master control, or the supply of battery power to all the controls. If you can measure battery power at any of the controls, then it isn't a fuse or the relay. If you have power at all the controls, then it's mostly likely the path to ground at the master control.
tomj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

You might want to look at the wiring bundle running from the door into the car, on the driver's door. Most of my cars are in the 20 year old range, and I have found broken wires in that bundle several times (on different cars). Its a hard place to work though. On my dodge minivan I fixed the wiring by taking the hinges off and setting the door on wooden stands - with an extra couple of inches to work with.
But I also agree with the poster who said to check for voltages present inside the door. I fixed on car by running an extra wire to the window control from the circuit breaker under the dash - as that seemed easier that opening up the wire bundle and maybe damaging other wires inside.
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #5
John81
AF Newbie

I'd better ask it on the car service.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Celebrity