Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '71-'87 Civic | CRX
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 07:26 PM   #1
crazi-85crx
AF Enthusiast

new exhaust set-up

right now my crx has 1 3/4" pipe, and i want to get some 2 1/4" put on. an added 1/2". is this a good idea? i talked with a guy from a muffler shop and he says he can do it for around $150 - maybe cheaper. he knew exactly how/why i wanted it, without even me having to explain it to him like i did with all the other dumbass shops i talked with. i plan on having all the bends made with the largest diameters that will fit under my car to allow for more flow, and then it will come straight out the back into a straight-flow muffler. the hardest part will be hanging it he said. so what do you think, will this help or hinder my acceleration?

Last edited by crazi-85crx; 09-19-2005 at 08:21 PM.
crazi-85crx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:22 AM   #2
cvcc_wagon
AF Enthusiast

Re: new exhaust set-up

2.25" is as large as you want to go. any larger and you will feel a serious loss in low end torque, you will feel a little loss with the 2.25" but the mid/top end power will make up for it. if you are still running with a manifold the noise level should be alright with just a glasspacked muffler however if yo ever decide to get a header it will make it quite loud and you may consider a second muffler or a cat/resonator or whatever to cut down the noise level a bit. this is what i discovered with my setup, straight pipe 2.25" with a glasspacked muffler was fine with the manifold but as soon as i put the header it was about 10 times louder at mid range rpm's and i couldn't stand it so i put a cherry bomb glass packed muffler right in the middle. it basically looks like a big resonator.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:44 AM   #3
crazi-85crx
AF Enthusiast

thanks, but won't a cherrybomb create too much turbulant air within the pipe causing a loss of power?
Old 09-20-2005, 12:52 AM   #4
cvcc_wagon
AF Enthusiast

a charry bomb glass packed is one of the ones that you can see through unlike the cherry bomb turbo that the muscle car guys use. it may cause a little turbulence but not that much and i didn't notice any loss in power when i put mine in. besides, with a mostly stock motor (which i assume you have, you haven't mentioned any other mods) it's doubtful that you will notice either. the only reason i chose a cherry bomb was because it was compact and cheep.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:04 AM   #5
crazi-85crx
AF Enthusiast

i've got a cherrybomb glass-packed on there now as my muffler, so i want that gone. i've considered using it as the res but always wondered about the affect on flow. it even says it can be used as a res on the box. so what you're saying makes enough sense, i'll have to go with that. thanks.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:35 AM   #6
CRXGRETH
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to CRXGRETH Send a message via MSN to CRXGRETH Send a message via Yahoo to CRXGRETH
well i have a custom 2.25 exhaust and it go straight back to flowmaster and then out to dual's and i also have the d16a1 but mine was loud and i don't have a header but when i get the header imma have to tone it done because i have already been pulled over for havin to loud of an exhaust. but also mine is strainght threw no cat so i might just ad a high flow cat to the setup. but good luck wit that man.
ecu upgrade
white face indigo guages
5" autometer sport comp tach
cold air intake
dual exhaust
all blacked out

sold the crx and now got a 1990 probe 3.0 v6 and 1983 camaro
CRXGRETH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:25 PM   #7
crazi-85crx
AF Enthusiast

could i run a couple inches of pipe out of the manifold, then into a cherrybomb, then just pipe all the way to the back?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:59 PM   #8
lxndr
AF -Advisor

There are a couple different designs for "Cherry
Bomb" mufflers. The cheap style uses louvers inside it to catch sound and divert it into the fiberglass. A slightly better design uses perforations which will not cause as much back pressure.

But if you have an unmodified motor without a header, you can do whatever you want with the exhaust since nothing you do will give you a significant gain in power. It will however get you set up for when you do get a header.

To answer your question, you can mount the muffler off the end of the collector/down pipe then run pipe to the back of the car, or right out the side if you wanted to.
lxndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:15 PM   #9
crazi-85crx
AF Enthusiast

thanks, i'll definately run it out the back.

Last edited by crazi-85crx; 09-21-2005 at 10:11 PM.
crazi-85crx is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '71-'87 Civic | CRX