Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
biggflintmi
AF Newbie

Intake coolant fitting

I am replacing the intake gaskets on a 92 c1500 350. I have the intake out but the coolant fitting that goes into the back of the intake broke on me. It looks like metal but breaks like plastic. Any 1 have any tips to get it out of there. It broke off flush with the intake so i cant grip it with anything the only thing left are the threads. I tried hammering a big screwdriver in there and turning it but it didnt work. All i can think of now is to chisel it out and try not to mess up the threads. Any suggestions from ppl who have had this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: Intake coolant fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggflintmi View Post
I am replacing the intake gaskets on a 92 c1500 350. I have the intake out but the coolant fitting that goes into the back of the intake broke on me. It looks like metal but breaks like plastic. Any 1 have any tips to get it out of there. It broke off flush with the intake so i cant grip it with anything the only thing left are the threads. I tried hammering a big screwdriver in there and turning it but it didnt work. All i can think of now is to chisel it out and try not to mess up the threads. Any suggestions from ppl who have had this problem would be greatly appreciated.
common problem with these. using a hack saw blade , with no frame , cut into the fitting , then when you have a good cut almost thru from end to end use a screw driver and gently collapse the fitting ..then with needle nose pliers unscrew..

use teflon tape when installing a new fitting. cutting into the manifold threads slightly will not hurt it ..but usually cutting that much is not necessary.......
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

My local tool store sells a kit just for this- it has the big easy out, a pipe thread tap, and a new hose adapter- all for about $25. Works great.

Very, very common problem.
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
jdmccright
The RustBuster

The original fittings were made from zinc, and end up corroding badly...two of them, one in front and one in back to serve the heater core. Dorman makes steel replacements if you want to stay OEM pipe connections...test them with a magnet to be sure they are steel. Others will find a plain hose fitting adapter, screw it into the manifold, cut the quick-connect ends of the hoses off, and band-clamp them. Either way works.

I would be careful hammering at the piece remaining because any big pieces that break off go into the manifold and may not get flushed out. As suggested, you can saw part way into the piece through the hole in two opposite places. Then tap a screwdriver at the midpoint between the cuts to make it collapse on itself. Once you get it out, flush it thouroughly with water to get rid of the shavings.

Good luck!
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.

Last edited by jdmccright; 04-12-2011 at 11:50 PM. Reason: added info
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
biggflintmi
AF Newbie

I ended up using a hacksaw blade and a screwdriver to chisel it out. I had to cut it in 3 spots to get it out. It was so corroded it looked like it was welded to it. Now i just have to get it all cleaned up so i can put it back on. .I didnt even tear up the threads and thats what i was worried about. Thanks for the tips.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggflintmi View Post
I ended up using a hacksaw blade and a screwdriver to chisel it out. I had to cut it in 3 spots to get it out. It was so corroded it looked like it was welded to it. Now i just have to get it all cleaned up so i can put it back on. .I didnt even tear up the threads and thats what i was worried about. Thanks for the tips.
I have a lot of experience removing fasteners and fittings that have corroded themselves in place...

very small to very large in size. using an easy out on a corroded pipe fitting will just expand the metal fitting an bind it up more...cuting the fitting and shrinking its dia you can then remove it...

when its safe to do so using a good torch properly adjusted and sized you can remove most hardware siezed up...

as with most threads like you have here a round pipe wire brush will clean up the debris/corroded mess then using pipe tape re install new part.... good luck !
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
biggflintmi
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
I have a lot of experience removing fasteners and fittings that have corroded themselves in place...

very small to very large in size. using an easy out on a corroded pipe fitting will just expand the metal fitting an bind it up more...cuting the fitting and shrinking its dia you can then remove it...

when its safe to do so using a good torch properly adjusted and sized you can remove most hardware siezed up...

as with most threads like you have here a round pipe wire brush will clean up the debris/corroded mess then using pipe tape re install new part.... good luck !
My original plan was to heat it up but turns out my propane leaked all out so i went to plan B.