Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info
How-to | Technical Info A wealth of information at your disposal.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #91
SurfBeat
AF Newbie

Re: Airtex Fuel Pumps - Buyer Beware

Darn dirty job, 3 1/2 hours for a Olds Bravada: 1) siphoning gas from tank; 2) jacking up the car; 3) removing the spare tire; 4) unplugging about 1/2 hoses that had confusing fasteners; 5) sliding a floor jack under the tank; 6) removing two screws from the harnesses that secure the tank to the frame; 7) tapping off the securing bracket; 8) removing the piece of $hit Airtex fuel filter; then, aligning the tank under the car on top of a floor jack with a 2x4 and securing it.

The dealer wanted $1500 to perform a 3 1/2 job. If you don't mind getting dirty and investing about 4 hours to do the job yourself to save a bunch of dough, then you can do it.

This is the 2nd time I've done it and it wasn't any easier than the first time, however, I was prepared for the problems I encountered last time, i.e., re-installing the tank back.

Good luck grasshoppers.
SurfBeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SurfBeat For This Useful Post:
Rick Norwood (08-22-2012)
Old 08-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #92
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfBeat View Post
Darn dirty job, 3 1/2 hours for a Olds Bravada: 1) siphoning gas from tank; 2) jacking up the car; 3) removing the spare tire; 4) unplugging about 1/2 hoses that had confusing fasteners; 5) sliding a floor jack under the tank; 6) removing two screws from the harnesses that secure the tank to the frame; 7) tapping off the securing bracket; 8) removing the piece of $hit Airtex fuel filter; then, aligning the tank under the car on top of a floor jack with a 2x4 and securing it.

The dealer wanted $1500 to perform a 3 1/2 job. If you don't mind getting dirty and investing about 4 hours to do the job yourself to save a bunch of dough, then you can do it.

This is the 2nd time I've done it and it wasn't any easier than the first time, however, I was prepared for the problems I encountered last time, i.e., re-installing the tank back.

Good luck grasshoppers.

with difficult tank removals to access the fuel pump the cutting of a hole above the fuel pump to access this pump is done more than you may be aware of. with some heavy galvanized sheet metal you can make a cover. using short self taping screws and a sealer for a gasket this makes future repairs much easier.

this is done even at the dealership. many internet info about those who have done this , with pictures .
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #93
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Quote:

Good luck grasshoppers.
This is precisely and exactly why you DO NOT install an Airtex piece of crap pump, and why you do it right the first time with an AC Delco/Delphi Quality OEM pump!
Old 08-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #94
SurfBeat
AF Newbie

J-Cat, I was thinking about cutting a hole just as you suggested, however, I figured it would be my luck to cut through the f'n tank, then I really would be screwed, spending the day at a junk yard looking for a replacement.

After I installed the fuel pump a few days later the problem returned; 2 - 3 cranks to get the engine started. Surprising, it cranks over easily in the morning. I am now wondering if my fuel filter is part the problem, or maybe a fuel vacuum line had a hole in it which I did not see when I removed the tank?

Whatever, maybe the time has come to replace the 01 Bravada for a 11 Subaru Outback? I hate to do that because I like the size of the Bravada in contrast to the new SUV's that are just to darn big and the Subaru was the only small SUV that has the power to two my Kawi Jet Ski's to the River. Decisions, decisions.

That said, the gas gauge no longer acts like a windshield wiper and it accurately reflects the amount of gas in the tank.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #95
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

SurfBeat, You absolutely should replace your Fuel Filter. Look at this thread and you'll see why. http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul....php?t=1058250

However, as far as taking 2-3 cranks to fire, when did you last do a tune up? Plugs, wires, Distributor Cap and Rotor. If it has been a while, you might start with these first.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #96
SurfBeat
AF Newbie

I replaced plugs and distributor cap in February 2012.

Today I noticed a gas leak - the darn filler neck that connects to the tank has a small crack. When I was taking the hose off I thought that could be a problem.

An eleven year old car made by GM (Government Motors) that has lots of parts made of plastic - I should have expected problems. Saturday I am off to the junk yard to find a replacement fuel tank. Then, it is time to find a replacement for the Bravada - a Subaru Outback or Forester. Those were the only four bangers that enable me to tow my Jet Ski's.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:02 AM   #97
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
I replaced plugs and distributor cap in February 2012.

Today I noticed a gas leak - the darn filler neck that connects to the tank has a small crack. When I was taking the hose off I thought that could be a problem.

An eleven year old car made by GM (Government Motors) that has lots of parts made of plastic - I should have expected problems. Saturday I am off to the junk yard to find a replacement fuel tank. Then, it is time to find a replacement for the Bravada - a Subaru Outback or Forester. Those were the only four bangers that enable me to tow my Jet Ski's.
make a patch for the crack with metal epoxy. they have this in the plumbing supply section. sand tthe surface clean off any oils then apply.

works very good, 5 min cure.

the other product would be marine tex. this epoxy requires about 24 hrs at 70 deg f to cure but very durable especially if used with fiberglass cloth . works excellant on oil pans also.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #98
SurfBeat
AF Newbie

I was going to try to epox, then I found a gas tank for $75 at the junk yard and to be on the safe side I bought it. Zero leaks, but I my problem still exists - 2 -3 cranks to crank over the Bravada.

Tomorrow I am tossing out the Auto Zone distributor cap, rotor, Champion plugs I bought in February and replacing them with AC Delco. Throw in some new plug wires. Maybe an oxygen sensor.

Better yet, maybe toss out the GM car and get me a Subaru?
Old 09-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #99
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
I was going to try to epox, then I found a gas tank for $75 at the junk yard and to be on the safe side I bought it. Zero leaks, but I my problem still exists - 2 -3 cranks to crank over the Bravada.

Tomorrow I am tossing out the Auto Zone distributor cap, rotor, Champion plugs I bought in February and replacing them with AC Delco. Throw in some new plug wires. Maybe an oxygen sensor.

Better yet, maybe toss out the GM car and get me a Subaru?
turn ignition on,,, wait 2 sec. then crank engine
Old 09-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #100
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Been There, done that, Bought the T-Shirt.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=975186

AC-Delco is the only way to go!
Old 10-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #101
CharlieB53
AF Newbie

Quote:
......................... get me a Subaru?
If you're seriously thinking about getting one, I suggest you check out the articles on Subaru Head Gasket Failures.

Dealers are simply replacing the gaskets, and they keep on failing, until someone takes the time to drop the motor, mill the cyl and heads FLAT, then install the upgraded gaskets.

The Dealers just keep you coming back so they can charge you all that labor.

Other than the head gaskets, the Outback is a fine vehicle.
CharlieB53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #102
SurfBeat
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieB53 View Post
"If you're seriously thinking about getting" [a Subaru or Forester], "I suggest you check out the articles on Subaru Head Gasket Failures.

Dealers are simply replacing the gaskets, and they keep on failing, until someone takes the time to drop the motor, mill the cyl and heads FLAT, then install the upgraded gaskets.

The Dealers just keep you coming back so they can charge you all that labor.

Other than the head gaskets, the Outback is a fine vehicle.
Thanks for the info Charlie. I will definitely check your suggestion out. I may just purchase a 6 cylinder 2010 Toyota Highlander because I know a lot more about the dependability of Toyota's must know very little about Subaru's. Sometimes it is just better to go with what ya know.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #103
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

If you know the dependability record of the Toyota, why are you considering buying one?
Old 10-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #104
SurfBeat
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_master View Post
If you know the dependability record of the Toyota, why are you considering buying one?
Well Old Master, as a starter, I have never heard anyone I know complain of owning a Toyota. In fact, two friends who own Toyota's that have over 150,000 miles on them related they never had a problem with theirs.

On that note, my GM Olds Bravada required the following parts replacements: 1) two starters; 2) one fuel pump; 3) Intake Manifold Gasket; 3) Engine Cooler Lines; 4) Transfer Case Rear Seal; 5) interior plastic parts breaking; 6) interior squeaks like a pig.

Now, albeit my Bravada could pass for new in appearance, on its best day I could only put a for sale sticker on it in the amount of $3300, however, a Toyota Highlander in the same condition reaps more than twice that amount, $7600.

I can't recall how much more a Toyota Highlander cost in 2001 than my Olds Bravada, however, I doubt it was almost 5K more?

If both SUV's were about the same in price when new, then, the Toyota was the better buy, however, if the Toyota was 5K more, then, considering my repair costs for my Bravada since 2001 were about a grand, then, the Bravada wins by 4k.

Just some thoughts.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #105
j cAT
AF Fanatic

I am a GM owner since 1967. working on vehicle #4. GM has been designing vehicles for failure mileage and years of life.

with the vehicles others have owned family members etc. Toyota appears to be designed for better performance and life.

Now in todays market GM quality and durability is falling.

my next vehicle looks like a Toyota. having looked into reliability and dealership help with the small vehicle issues of family member Toyota vehicles I find they are far better than GM.

GM is just out to screw us !

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info