Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Interior | Exterior | Appearance
Interior | Exterior | Appearance The place for all interior, exterior and general non-performance modifications.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 09:33 AM   #1
2KJimmySLS
AF Newbie

Spare Tire in/on 2dr

I have a 2000 Jimmy 2dr SLS 4wd, etc. I guess this is more of a general question, but do any of you with 2dr Blazers/Jimmys have the spare tire in the back of your vehicle? And, have any of you ever wanted to (or have) put a spare tire rack on the back to clear up that trunk space? I hate the width the spare tire takes up in the back, since the space is limited anyway.

Any ideas on what something like this might involve? I've seen prices on some of this stuff, and it would be reasonable as far as what I would gain, but I'm more curious about the labor involved. Would it be worth it to drill into my Jimmy just to save a foot of width? Would I be better off taking it to a shop somewhere to have them do it?
2KJimmySLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
ZL1power69
GM S-Series Mod

Re: Spare Tire in/on 2dr

On the std 4x4 blazer and jimmy, you had a choice from the factory of having the spare inside or outside on a tire carrier. Some like the cleaner look of having the tire on the inside. I don't think switching from the inside mount to a tire carrier is going to be worth the cost involved in paying a shop to do it. One negative about the tire carrier is that over time, it warps the quater panel from all the weight flexing. If you need to save space inside and have AAA or something like that, just ditch the spare all together.
Exterior Mods: Just Right

1987 Buick Turbo T Dark Red
Low 11 sec sleeper
.030 4.1 block, PT6262E, & other odds and ends....
My Cardomain
ZL1power69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
Booch
AF Newbie

Re: Spare Tire in/on 2dr

I ditched the spare on my extreme awhile ago, but I also carry a can of fix a flat in the winter for my snow tires.

In the summer, I run pirelli p- zero run flats on 2006 corvette wheels (18's in front, 19's in back)
Booch is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Interior | Exterior | Appearance