Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 12:13 AM   #61
xoc
AF Enthusiast

Or a tree...
Old 03-04-2002, 12:22 AM   #62
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc
Or a tree...
Actually if my sliderz had arrived a week earlier they would have prevented my truck from leaning into the tree that damaged by door (because EOE sliderz which extend beyond the body would have leaned against the root of the tree). I know that because I was there instead of second guessing from a photo.

Slow night Ian?
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 08:39 AM   #63
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller

Actually if my sliderz had arrived a week earlier they would have prevented my truck from leaning into the tree that damaged by door (because EOE sliderz which extend beyond the body would have leaned against the root of the tree). I know that because I was there instead of second guessing from a photo.

Slow night Ian?
Schlud, I and Andy knew absolutely that the sliders would have pushed the root away from the body and he would have been fine! I was there and I KNOW!
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 11:41 AM   #64
xoc
AF Enthusiast

I wasn't second guessing.

With this much lean into the tree, no slider would have saved it, even with the root curving outward.

Had you tried to pivot off the tree with the slider, you would have lost a fender depending on which direction you chose to go.

Old 03-04-2002, 11:58 AM   #65
ozxterra
AF Enthusiast

Lose a fender??? Not likely - Ive pivoted out of worse than that with little or no damage and knowing his driving and some about his rig I dont think he would of been in trouble with sliders (EOE). All it takes is a little finesse
ozxterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 01:33 PM   #66
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

That picture is after a lot of movement to get extracted and sliding more into the tree and downhill. When I initially got stuck the frame was almost touching the root which goes higher as it nears the tree. The EOE sliders extending out 10" from the frame (guessing on how wide they are) would have reduced the angle of lean as they would contact sooner.

Kind of pointless to argue though. People tend to take pictures after there is nothing to do, not when they're working to get extracted (especially since I was the one with the camera, and the one stuck).

Like Rick says, we had the advantage of spending 3 hours on the side of that hill, and being very familiar with the situation. I'll stick by my earlier statement.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:40 PM   #67
xoc
AF Enthusiast

I'll send you a check for gas money if you feel like going back up there and pivoting around that tree come Spring time.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:55 PM   #68
ozxterra
AF Enthusiast

Troll.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:56 PM   #69
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc
I'll send you a check for gas money if you feel like going back up there and pivoting around that tree come Spring time.
LOL. That thing is a truck trap. I'm not going there anytime soon. I'm not saying I would pivot around the tree, it would have just reduced my lean, and I would have had a better chance at extraction going backwards.

Don't let that discourage you or anybody from sending me money though.
Old 03-04-2002, 02:04 PM   #70
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by ozxterra
Troll.
I don't want to see a bunch of namecalling going on here guys. If you disagree with someone voice your opinion in a more constructive way. If the topic degrades I'll delete posts or lock threads.

That goes for replying to peoples posts. Try and think of a way to communicate your disapproval for someones mods in a helpful way.

XOC I can see your temprament is rubbing a few people the wrong way. I have a bit thicker skin from being on these boards for a while, but just like on your website please be considerate of the newcomers to the board.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2002, 02:53 PM   #71
ozxterra
AF Enthusiast

Righto... I just say it like I see it....

I shall endeavor to subscribe to the "if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all..." theory - hopefully XOC will do the same on this board.

That does look like a tough spot and I agree that it would have been hard to get out of but you had all 4 wheels on the ground and I think getting out of there with the help of a little armor would have been doable. Granted I wasnt there.....
Where was that by the way???
Old 03-04-2002, 03:03 PM   #72
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

That's Naches (western "wet" side). PNWX's Washington playground.
Old 03-04-2002, 03:06 PM   #73
ozxterra
AF Enthusiast

Naches eh?? I am looking forward to getting back up there. I wish the snow would melt!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2002, 04:29 PM   #74
xoc
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller
LOL. That thing is a truck trap. I'm not going there anytime soon. I'm not saying I would pivot around the tree, it would have just reduced my lean, and I would have had a better chance at extraction going backwards.
It would be a good experiment location.
I know there are some Calmini sliders up there too, it would make a nice test.
Old 03-04-2002, 05:01 PM   #75
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

More comments

BIG problem was that your front tires came over these two slippery roots at the same time! PLUS it was about 8 - 10% downgrade AND you had to start turning as you got halfway through the corner! Just a real tight spot! There was lots of paints scrapes on the tree Schlud landed against. The root was about 3" or so from the body! I know the EOE sliders would have allowed him to pivot around the root like he did at Naches Funny rocks!

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t3600.html

Here is the original thread for the newer people!!!

Last edited by rrdstarr; 03-05-2002 at 12:28 AM.
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail