Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Rumors & Concepts
Car Rumors & Concepts Post pictures and discuss the upcoming cars, rumors and spy photos.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 01:30 PM   #31
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Skyline Gt-r R35

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiHime
I thought R34 is I6...
the r34 IS A INLINE 6, im talking about the NEW SKYLINE GTR (V35?R35?) THATS COMING OUT, it MIGHT be a 3.2 liter twin turbo v6 (vq32dett) with strong engine components made by cosworth, more power with less weight than an inline 6
aznxthuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:33 PM   #32
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I thought R34 is I6...
aznxthuggie is referring to the JGTC R34s. For the 2002 and 2003 seasons, VQ30DETT V6s were used instead of the original RB26DETT I6.

Quote:
That's what I've been always believed in, that Japan is more crowded therefore it has a stricter regulation......
I'm not sure if the population has an effect on emissions, per se, but it does have an effect on regulations as far as what car you drive. There are vehicle taxes, and they vary depending on vehicle size, engine displacement, and possibly the number of cylinders as well.
VQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:32 PM   #33
YukiHime
AF Enthusiast

Re: Skyline Gt-r R35

But can the Aluminum Engine stand the pressure of the turbo boost is what I'm concerning about.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:24 PM   #34
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
But can the Aluminum Engine stand the pressure of the turbo boost is what I'm concerning about.
No one knows how high the VQs can go yet. Production VQs already had iron cylinder liners, and street VQ30s have already been producing over 500hp so far on stock internals. I think that's around the same you can get from an RB without building the bottom end.

Cosworth will be using a special process to build even stronger VQs just for the GT-R.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:43 PM   #35
YukiHime
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Skyline Gt-r R35

Quote:
Originally Posted by VQuick
No one knows how high the VQs can go yet. Production VQs already had iron cylinder liners, and street VQ30s have already been producing over 500hp so far on stock internals. I think that's around the same you can get from an RB without building the bottom end.

Cosworth will be using a special process to build even stronger VQs just for the GT-R.
Still, nothing can be done until the Japaneses get rid of that stupid 280hp law.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:50 AM   #36
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Skyline Gt-r R35

Quote:
Still, nothing can be done until the Japaneses get rid of that stupid 280hp law.
That 'law' is a gentleman's agreement among manufacturers and the government to keep from rating their cars above 280ps, or 276hp. Many vehicles have outputs in excess of 276hp, but manufacturers have kept their ratings low.

The Skylines are just one example. Ever wonder why the R34 GT25-T was rated at 276hp, yet the GT-R version with the same 276hp rating blew it away in terms of performance? The GT-R was rumored to be really making as much as 340hp.

The US spec MKIV Toyota Supra produced 320hp. Japanese models gave up little if anything in performance to their American counterparts.

The same situation and numbers apply with Mitsubishi's 3000GT in the US and GTO in Japan.

The Mitsubishi Evos have been producing '276hp' for who knows how long. Each new version gets a little heavier, yet is still a little faster than the last.

The Acura NSX produces 290hp, already over the limit in Japan. Yet Honda offers faster models that always offer more fine tuning, such as the Type-S and Type-R, which are still rated at just 276hp.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:49 AM   #37
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast

dont quote me on this, but i read somewhere that nissan plans to break that agreement with the new gtr that is coming out, they said it'll be like a huge jump in technology/performance etc, im thinking they want japan to start competing in the same level as most of the european car companies, anyways it'll be great if they do that, more competition in and out of japan, wouldn't you want to hear "my stock gtr/supra/hsc outperforms/outhandles the carrera gt in every aspect" ok thats a lil farfetched, but i hope it atleast beats the 911/modena to shit lol
Old 04-23-2004, 04:32 PM   #38
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

If all of the manufacturers release new version of their flagship sports cars, they will probably follow Nissan's lead in exceeding the agreed rating.

The NSX and Supra already produced more than 276hp, so their replacements will be even more powerful(if there is a Supra replacement).

The RX-7 will need more than 276hp in order to be competitive.

CEO Carlos Ghosn reportedly said that the target for the GT-R was the Porsche 911. Given that the R34 GT-R was pretty much a match for the 996 Carrera already, Ghosn is probably talking about the Turbo model. On top of that, he also said the pricing would be such that 'you won't feel that you're getting ripped off.' With prices rumored to be as high as $70k, the GT-R would be a performance bargain compared to the $120k+ Turbo.

I also have a feeling that the GT-R's performance would compare relatively well against the Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale and perhaps even the Lamborghini Gallardo as well.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:03 AM   #39
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast

that sounds good, honda's hsc has really exotic styling, the new gtr seems like it will be a good car when it comes out, mazda'z... rx8 didn't really fill in the space the the rx7 once had, and for toyota, i read on the supra forums, that they might not make it, and instead use the solara as the performance flagship for toyota, i don't know if it is true, but there is also a 400hp hybrid supercar coming from toyota right? maybe that will
Old 04-27-2004, 02:28 AM   #40
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

The GT-R speculation really amuses me, simply because there's always this phenomeonal arrogance amongst GT-R "enthusiasts" that snubs any mention of the following;

1: Flaws in the RB26DETT - after all, this is the only engine in the world that can put out over 900hp on stock internals with forced induction.

2: An engine layout other than a straight-six - Yes, ever since the S20 in the KPGC10 "Hakosuka" and KPGC110 "Ken & Mary" Skyline GT-R's, straight sixes have been the tradition. However, do you want to pay another 10 to 15 thousand dollars per car so that Nissan can justify developing a whole new engine and front subframe just to satisfy "tradition"?

3: Styling that doesn't look brick-like - I don't care what the drag coefficience numbers say, the R32, R33, and R34 Skylines were slab sided. Giving the car a little bit of a curve is a good thing.

4: Producing a more worldwide appealing car - Guess what, the Skyline GT-R is not a universally awe-inspiring nameplate. You mention Porsche 911 or Chevy Corvette and everyone knows what you're talking about. Skyline GT-R is an unknown property when it comes to middle America. The European continent is slightly better off, since the cars have been in England, but it's still a car that's never been in the LHD marketplace. If you want the GT-R to stick around, it has to appeal to people who aren't diehard import nuts. It has to woo buyers out of Corvettes, Porsches, and Jaguars and into Nissan dealerships.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:25 AM   #41
thegladhatter
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla's Keeper
1: Flaws in the RB26DETT - after all, this is the only engine in the world that can put out over 900hp on stock internals with forced induction.
Did you overlook the Supra. It is capable of even better numbers than that on stock internals in the 2JZ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla's Keeper
4: Producing a more worldwide appealing car - Guess what, the Skyline GT-R is not a universally awe-inspiring nameplate. You mention Porsche 911 or Chevy Corvette and everyone knows what you're talking about. Skyline GT-R is an unknown property when it comes to middle America. The European continent is slightly better off, since the cars have been in England, but it's still a car that's never been in the LHD marketplace. If you want the GT-R to stick around, it has to appeal to people who aren't diehard import nuts. It has to woo buyers out of Corvettes, Porsches, and Jaguars and into Nissan dealerships.
Part of the GTR mystique is the fact that it isn't universally available. I think that the Nissan people haven't really cared too much about it either. If they did care then Nissan would have retooled the Skyline assembly lines long ago to accomodate the LHD countries. As it is the GTR is about to come to the world in a watered down state. Nissan will be releasing a new GTR (but never a Skyline) to the LHD people is fairly short order.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:34 PM   #42
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

The first one was sarcasm, because I know for a fact the GM corporate 3800 Series II supercharged V6 can put out 900hp on stock internals. Same with the old Chrysler 440 wedge engine.

And, I'm sorry, when the Nissan people are saying that one of the speculative engines is a 400hp twin turbo V8, the rest of the world isn't getting a "watered down" GT-R, they're getting an improvement. And, by the way, the GT-R is not a straight up Modena/911 Turbo fighter. All you need to do is look at the results from any year at the Nurburgring or Le Mans to see that the Nissan has always been smacked around by the big two of sports cars; Porsche and Ferrari.

But that's not bad company to be in. The list of losers reads as follows; Lamborghini, Maserati, Iso, Pegaso, Saleen, Oldsmobile, BMW, and so on.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:04 PM   #43
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegladhatter
As it is the GTR is about to come to the world in a watered down state. Nissan will be releasing a new GTR (but never a Skyline) to the LHD people is fairly short order.
How is the next GT-R going to be watered down? How does a bigger, lighter engine with more power and torque, possibly less weight, better weight distribution, better aerodynamics, and much better handling constitute as watering the GT-R down?

Instead, the next GT-R will be better performing than ever. After all, some of the V35 Skylines are already outperforming The R34 GT-R in some areas.

The current Skyline is more or less already available in LHD form, as the Infiniti G35.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:55 PM   #44
spartan
AF Newbie

i heard they were gonna use a v6 or v8 in it but i hope not i dislike v8 alot and v6's arent exactly my fav either they should stick whith an inline
spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 06:24 PM   #45
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan
i heard they were gonna use a v6 or v8 in it but i hope not i dislike v8 alot and v6's arent exactly my fav either they should stick whith an inline
The Rb-series has been discontinued since 2002 because they could not meet Japanese emissions regulations. Nissan would have to make a new inline 6, and they aren't about to do that.